[comp.sys.amiga] Minix on Amiga ?

keho@wmt.UUCP (Kees Houttuin) (10/29/87)

Maybe i'm asking something well known in minix- or Amiga-world but
anyway: does anyone know of a minix-port to the Amiga?
If so, is the compiler also ported or is it just the minix-os.

Kees Houttuin                            keho@wmt.uucp
Westmount Technology

cmcmanis@pepper.UUCP (10/30/87)

In article <295@wmt.UUCP> keho@wmt.UUCP (Kees Houttuin) writes:
>Maybe i'm asking something well known in minix- or Amiga-world but
>anyway: does anyone know of a minix-port to the Amiga?
>If so, is the compiler also ported or is it just the minix-os.

Why would you want to downgrade the OS of your machine? From what I
have seen of both OS's the Amiga's is superior in terms of process
handling, task scheduling, I/O abstraction, etc. There is a port being
done for the ST (which is understandable considering...) and you may
be able to leverage that work, but please explain why. If you want a
u*ix flavor user interface check out Matt Dillions shell. If you want
UNIX(TM) System V library calls check out the Lattice C compiler, (Aztec
if you want more BSD'ish type routines). What do you hope to gain?

Really, this isn't a flame, this is a question.

--Chuck McManis

page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (10/30/87)

cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) wrote:
>Why would you want to downgrade the OS of your machine?

Some of us at ULowell started work on an Amiga port of MINIX,
then realized just what Chuck said.  So we stopped the port.

The only way MINIX would be worthwhile on the Amiga would be as
one of Amiga's libraries/devices/subtasks, like the MS-DOS/Janus
software.

..Bob

PS Kim, do you still have a group at Amdahl working on MINIX?
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.   page@ulowell.{uucp,edu,csnet}

kim@amdahl.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (11/01/87)

In article <1910@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu>, page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:

> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) wrote:
> >Why would you want to downgrade the OS of your machine?
>
> Some of us at ULowell started work on an Amiga port of MINIX,
> then realized just what Chuck said.  So we stopped the port.
>
> The only way MINIX would be worthwhile on the Amiga would be as
> one of Amiga's libraries/devices/subtasks, like the MS-DOS/Janus
> software.
>
> PS Kim, do you still have a group at Amdahl working on MINIX?

No, and for essentially the same reason.  Besides, there are so many new and
interesting things to do *with* the Amiga ...

I think the original appeal was largely due to the lure of having the source
to the OS in hand, so we could fix all the problems that had been frustrating
us with AmigaDOS (1.1), and add those sorely missing features like resource
tracking, csh, etc.

Well, we still don't have resource tracking, but 1.2 has proved to be alot
more robust, so it's less of an issue.  And the publically available utility
stuff has continued to improve the (dare I say it) "user friendliness" of
the machine to well below the pain threshold.  And too, there are various
"signals" from CBM that more improvements are coming that'll address some
of the remaining problems (file system performance, etc.)

So MINIX has really become a "why bother".  Also, I believe alot of people
expected MINIX to be much more than it is, and forgot what Andy's original
intent was (and still is, I'm sure) ... to provide a *reasonably* complete
system for use as an *educational tool* in the OS area.  There's a BIG
difference between doing this, and developing a system that's targeted for
real production use (issues like performance, error recovery, etc.)

Now I'd really like to see MINIX running in an AmigaDOS window, and with the
sources available, I'm sure I could learn alot about OS internals.  I do
hope that someone who's "thing" is OS internals does this ... on either
side of the "bridgecard".

/kim

--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ihnp4,uunet,oliveb,cbosgd,ames}!amdahl!kim

In article <1910@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu>, page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
> The only way MINIX would be worthwhile on the Amiga would be as
> one of Amiga's libraries/devices/subtasks, like the MS-DOS/Janus
> software.

And that would be *cool*. Just like running UNIX in a window!
--
-- Peter da Silva  `-_-'  ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter
-- Disclaimer: These U aren't mere opinions... these are *values*.

jburnes@pnet02.cts.com (Jim Burnes) (11/04/87)

Chuck:
  I have been thinking about porting MINIX over more as a learning experience
than as an attempt to improve on the Amiga Exec.  I am aware that the amiga Os
is somewhat more sophiticated and also is designed to handle real-time events.
 Such is life.  If I port MINIX then just maybe I would understand a lot more
about operating systems and more fully appreciate the amigas OS.  (OK..I'll
admit it..I just think it would be plain fun!  ;-)  )
  -Jim Burnes
ps: Got any openings over at SUN?  I'll take any job...do you need a janitor?
8-)

-Jim Burnes
"I don't beleive in ism's."
    -Ferris Buehler

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd!crash, ihnp4!scgvaxd!cadovax}!gryphon!pnet02!jburnes
INET: jburnes@pnet02.CTS.COM

fnf@mcdsun.UUCP (Fred Fish) (11/05/87)

In article <658@louie.udel.EDU> BECKER%HUMBER.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu (Bruce Becker) writes:
>but it's just "hearsay". Good luck in finding this out; I'd really like to
>know, since I'd then start to get Amiga-MINIX talking to PC-MINIX on my
>Sidecar...  Cheers, Bruce Becker    Humber College    Etobicoke, Ont.

This reminds me, as a soon-to-be owner of an Amiga 2000, does minix run OK
on the PC side of the machine?  I.E., can I have minix running on
the PC side, in an AmigaDOS window?

-Fred

--
# Fred Fish    hao!noao!mcdsun!fnf    (602) 438-3614
# Motorola Computer Division, 2900 S. Diablo Way, Tempe, Az 85282  USA

In article <2156@gryphon.CTS.COM> jburnes@pnet02.cts.com (Jim Burnes) writes:
>Chuck:
>  I have been thinking about porting MINIX over more as a learning experience
>than as an attempt to improve on the Amiga Exec.  I am aware that the amiga Os
>is somewhat more sophiticated and also is designed to handle real-time events.
> Such is life.  If I port MINIX then just maybe I would understand a lot more
>about operating systems and more fully appreciate the amigas OS.  (OK..I'll
>admit it..I just think it would be plain fun!  ;-)  )

I guess I'm getting cynical in my old age :-). This is of course the one
reason why anyone would actually benefit from porting MINIX to the Amiga.
Yet, there are some tradeoffs and assumptions made in MINIX because they were
porting too a segmented architecture. I suggest reading the MINIX book,
Comer's book on XINU, the design of the UNIX operating system by Bach,
and P.B. Hansen's book on O/S design. Then with all those ideas brewing
in your head write your own O/S (which invariably falls into pieces like
Process control, I/O device abstraction, resource allocation, etc) and
test it by replacing pieces of the Amiga OS. The beauty of the Amiga
system is that it lets you do this in 'user mode' and all of the pieces
are accessible. In this way you can develop on your 'target' machine and
still keep the benefits of an existing O/S around. Or use the pretested
and working Amiga O/S to test out your new low level stuff.

My personal experience is that while designing and writing a complete
O/S is too large a project to tackle, writing the pieces of one are
managable. And after writing enough pieces you will suddenly find you
have written the whole thing. The benefit of reading all those books
is that you will know some of the problems that the O/S has to deal
with and that can help you understand why certain parts of the system
do things in what might otherwise be inexplicable ways.

Now after you have done your homework send me your resume :-)

--Chuck McManis

daveb@laidbak.UUCP (Dave Burton) (11/06/87)

In article <32453@sun.uucp> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:
>In article <295@wmt.UUCP> keho@wmt.UUCP (Kees Houttuin) writes:
>>Maybe i'm asking something well known in minix- or Amiga-world but
>>anyway: does anyone know of a minix-port to the Amiga?
>>If so, is the compiler also ported or is it just the minix-os.
>
>Why would you want to downgrade the OS of your machine? From what I
>have seen of both OS's the Amiga's is superior in terms of process
>handling, task scheduling, I/O abstraction, etc. ...
>... What do you hope to gain?
>
>Really, this isn't a flame, this is a question.
>
>--Chuck McManis

I can't speak for Chuck, but I'll be willing to bet he's NOT looking
to replace his OS. Minix's best point is that it is AVAILABLE at a
REASONABLE price in SOURCE form. Anyone interested in learning how a
multi-tasking, multi-user operating system operates would do well
to own a copy of Minix.

--
--------------------"Well, it looked good when I wrote it"---------------------
 Verbal: Dave Burton                        Net: ...!ihnp4!laidbak!daveb