[comp.sys.amiga] Theres more to flicker than phosphor persistence

Remember a while back when sombody noticed that adding green to a color
mix seemed to increase the flicker ?

I mentioned that this was because the green was the quickest or shortest
persistence phosphor.

George R said: wrong.

George was indeed right, but that didn't explain why my (Sony) monitor
seemed to more of a flicker problem with green than red or blue.

So I asked the question, and cross posted it to comp.graphics, where
the answer just popped up, so I scarfed it up, and here it is:

In article <880001@hpcehfe.HP.COM> Joyce E. Farrell writes:

>The general rule is that if two phosphors are matched for persistence,
>the phosphor that will be more likely to cause flicker will be the
>brighter of the two.  If two phosphors are matched for persistence and
>luminance, they will be equally likely to appear to flicker.
>The red, green and blue phosphors have relatively short persistences and
>are not that different in their phosphor decay rates.
>I am guessing therefore, that your green phosphor was brighter than
>your red and blue.  You may have sent the same DAC values (or voltage
>values to the electron guns), but green would appear to be brighter
>because of the fact that people are more sensitive to wavelengths
>corresponding to "green"
>(i.e. if you look at the photopic sensitivity function
>that describes how sensitive we are to wavelengths in the visible range
>you will see that the function peaks at a wavelength corresponding to green)
>I am guessing that if you were to measure the luminance of the green, red
>and blue images (with a photometer), the green image that appeared
>to flicker would be the brightest.

Makes sense to me. I think now, in retrospect that what I must have read
about the Sony green phosphor was that it was the brightest. Which would
have made it flicker more. Dammit, I read *something* about that green
phosphor.

Oh, well, moot point. The boys are back from Comdex and said the scan
doubler looks *real* sweet. Spoils you, in fact. :-(

--
Richard J. Sexton
INTERNET:     richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

"It's too dark to put the keys in my ignition..."