[comp.sys.amiga] A-2000 keyboard problems??

artw@pnet01.cts.com (Art Weiss) (11/04/87)

   I am posting this message for a friend of mine. He owns an A-2000 with a 2
meg ram expansion and has noticed that when he runs Barbarian that the ESC key
doesn't seem to work as it should. It's supposed to pause the game. When he
told me about this I tried it out on my own 2000 (we both have REV 4.2 boards)
and it was the same on mine. I never paid it much attention since there are a
number of games that don't work right on the 2000. But he was wondering if it
has something to do with the keyboards. He told me that a friend of his bought
a 2000 recently and that the ESC key does in fact work properly for him when
he is playing Barbarian. Are there different versions of the keyboard going
around or is his friend just telling him something that's not possible?
  Like I said, I don't really care since it's just a game, but my friend seems
concerned. If anyone out there has a 2000 and a copy of Barbarian let me know
if yours behaves any differently than mine.

lachac@topaz.rutgers.edu.UUCP (11/05/87)

In article <1952@crash.CTS.COM> artw@pnet01.cts.com (Art Weiss) writes:

>   I am posting this message for a friend of mine. He owns an A-2000 with a 2
>meg ram expansion and has noticed that when he runs Barbarian that the ESC key
>doesn't seem to work as it should. It's supposed to pause the game. When he
>told me about this I tried it out on my own 2000 (we both have REV 4.2 boards)
>and it was the same on mine.

Don't complain about the hardware, it's the programmers who are at fault here.
Psygnosis (sp?), the company that produces Barbarian (and Brataccus, and Arena
and Terrorpods) decided to go directly to hardware for keyboard control
instead of using the guidelines set by CBM/Amiga.  The result? Well, since
the hardware calls are different on the A2000, the keyboard doesn't work.

Call the company and complain (of course calling Britain might not be
worth it  :-)

--
		"Truth is false and logic lost..."
					- Neil Peart

artw@pnet01.cts.com (Art Weiss) (11/06/87)

    That's pretty much what I figured, sonce I've had no keyboard problems
with any other software. My friend will be relieved to know that there's
nothing wrong with his hardware. I wasn't worried myself since those
Psygnosis games are altogether strange. They don't even seem to be using
AmigaDOS. Does anybody know what kind of DOS they are using or are they just
making up their own?

                                               ...Art Weiss