[comp.sys.amiga] Another Ad

craig@unicus.UUCP (11/05/87)

Well, on a more positive note than my last post,
since we're getting into `how to advertise multitasking' again:

----START----
(IBM PC user working with spreadsheet or database)
(Elegant and energetic classical music playing,
perhaps Bach's "Tocatta and Fugue" or some Beethoven)

5 seconds showing him work, as music builds to a crescendo.
It should be obvious that he's using a PC AT or something,
with all the trimmings.  The shot is from his back, looking at the screen.

Suddenly the music and the user come to a crashing halt.
Closeup (from behind the machine) on his face.
He's frowning.  He's thinking.  He's scratching his head.  He's not happy.
He needs some data elsewhere.	(5 more seconds)

He begins to furiously sort through heaps of 5.25" disks,
inserts one to boot his machine again.

blackout-silence- "5 minutes later" is displayed  (5 more seconds now)

The data he needs flashes (with the new program) on the screen.
The music blasts out one more bar.  Then stops.

He reinserts his original disk.

blackout-silence- "5 minutes later"  (5 more seconds now)

The original program appears again, but the music doesn't start up again.
Suddenly it does, but it gets louder and louder,
but the user isn't doing anything and looks confused, so he
turns around and there's an Amiga user right behind him, with his back
to the original PC guy.  Closeup on his screen as the music blares.
(another 5 seconds)

The same music is building to the same crescendo, as the Amiga user is
working with his spreadsheet for a bit.	(another 5 seconds)
Show the whizzo-keen graphics, etcetera, as a tease.

Then he gets a quizzical look and immediately pulls down his screen
with the mouse to look at the next one back (in my experience, the
single most impressive thing to novice users), the music blares out
the same bar as when the user switched programs, and then he pulls
the screen back up and fills in the field in his original program.
The music, meanwhile, reaches its crescendo.  The Amiga user smiles.
His amp, of course, is plugged into his Amiga.  (another 10 seconds)

blackout-the music winds down-" Only Amiga "	(another 5 seconds)

---END-----

Well, okay, 45 seconds.  But no useless words.  Just nice emotional images.

	Craig Hubley, Unicus Corporation, Toronto, Ont.
	craig@Unicus.COM				(Internet)
	{uunet!mnetor, utzoo!utcsri}!unicus!craig	(dumb uucp)
	mnetor!unicus!craig@uunet.uu.net		(dumb arpa)

john13@garfield.UUCP (11/08/87)

In article <1499@unicus.UUCP> craig@unicus.UUCP (Craig D. Hubley) writes:

>Well, on a more positive note than my last post,
>since we're getting into `how to advertise multitasking' again:

This type of "how would a computer-knowledgeable person attempt to create an
impressive ad for the Amiga" posting is interesting to me (I wanted to do one
of my own, but couldn't figure out how to fit every other type of personal
computer into the 'BEFORE' picture; one thing I would like to see is a PS/2
gift-wrapped, and a note attached to its big red ribbon saying 'Do not open
until OS/2 arrives' :-).

Do the people dreaming up these ads, with the futuristic music and the swirling
smoke, etc, which is now so commonplace that we see it in ads for sugar-free
gum and feminine hygiene products, have any direct computer experience? With
the Amiga?

What Commodore's ad agency, whoever they may be, needs are computer literate
people who could be instructed in Amiga-philia, and then take all the great
selling points that *they themselves* had experienced, and translate those
into an effective ad (BTW, I volunteer if CBM wants a "Canadian perspective"
on things :-).

My impression is that ads for many other computer companies are based on
feedback from the companies themselves to the admen, detailing the good points
to emphasize, the bad points of the competition, and the perceived market. I
see a lot of them aimed at the "business frame of mind", and others aimed at
the "consumer mentality", and it irks me when CBM officials (who may themselves
be far removed from whiz-bang gee-whiz considerations) aim more towards telling
people "buy it because we paid for this TV commercial".

(I sure hope CBM brass IS taking note of the various advertising ideas I see
 around here, since they are real testimonials from real people regarding what
 influenced them to shell out real bucks for their machines. Hmmmm, come to
 think of it that might be another series of ads...)

John
--
" 'Emergency room'! AUUUGGGH! That's where I'll be going."
"It looks like she needs to have this Bonus Round pumped out of her!"