[comp.sys.amiga] shell problem with A2000

kaz@cadovax.UUCP (Kerry Zimmerman) (11/03/87)

[]

This weekend I upgraded to an A2000.  I went whole hog and got
an extra two megs of memory, a 20 Meg hard disk and the bridge card.
I don't know if the problem I am about to describe is because of the
A2000 or not.

I have encountered a problem with the hard disk device, the initial
AmigaDos CLI and Matt/Drew's shell (both versions 2.06M and 2.07M).  If
I end my startup-sequence, as I have always done on my A1000, with a
call to shell, the shell starts, I get the $ prompt, but I cannot get
the shell to accept my keystrokes.  The system is not hung, because the
characters I type are echoed and the mouse is alive, but the shell
process is effectivly hung and won't do anything but echo.

If I call the shell from a NEWCLI window, then everything works fine.
It only fails if started in the original AmigaDos window.

After much experimentation, I determined that the shell won't work in
the initial CLI window anytime after the call to binddrivers.  A shell
started before binddrivers will work, but after I call binddrivers,
even a working shell stops working.

Further, it appears that the device causing the trouble is the hard disk
device.  If I only bind the Janus device, the shell operates correctly.
But, if the hard disk device is in the expansion drawer, binddrivers will
render the shell inoperable.

The last experiment I performed was to recompile the shell with
RAW_CONSOLE 0.  This means the shell will not allow command line editing
or the help button or the function keys to work.  In this configuration,
the shell does work.  So, there is something about setting raw mode in the
initial CLI window that doesn't work with the hard disk device.

If anyone knows how I can solve this problem please tell me.  I should
be able to start the shell from the startup-sequence, but because of this
problem, I am forced to open a newcli window and start the shell from
there.  It is very frustrating that my new A2000 computer is acting somewhat
incompatable with the A1000.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thank You.

Kerry Zimmerman
#  {ucbvax,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!kaz  Contel Business Systems 213-323-8170
A difference between an amateur and a professional,
is that a professional has the right tools.

>I have encountered a problem with the hard disk device, the initial
>AmigaDos CLI and Matt/Drew's shell (both versions 2.06M and 2.07M).  If
>I end my startup-sequence, as I have always done on my A1000, with a
>call to shell, the shell starts, I get the $ prompt, but I cannot get
>the shell to accept my keystrokes.  The system is not hung, because the
>characters I type are echoed and the mouse is alive, but the shell
>process is effectivly hung and won't do anything but echo.

>The last experiment I performed was to recompile the shell with
>RAW_CONSOLE 0.  This means the shell will not allow command line editing
>or the help button or the function keys to work.  In this configuration,
>the shell does work.  So, there is something about setting raw mode in the
>initial CLI window that doesn't work with the hard disk device.

	These particular modifications were made by Steve Drew.  It could
be a bug either with the shell, which is doubtful, or some change that was
made to the initial cli, which is in ROM.  All I can say is, for now,
get around the problem by running the shell in a newcli:

	newcli con:0/0/320/200/whatever scriptfile

	where scriptfile contains:

	shell .login	(or whatever)
	endcli

	then removing the original cli with an endcli.

						-Matt

zabot@cesare.dec.com (Adv.Tech.Mgr-ACT Torino) (11/07/87)

	Re: Kerry Zimmerman problem.

	I have the same configuration and it works fine.
	The problem may be :
	a) your h/w is faulty
	b) you have rewritten your startup-sequence and have
	   omitted the delay after DJMOUNT.
	I had some problem with the standard startup-sequence which
	has a WAIT 25. Increased that to WAIT 35 I had no further problem.
	I'm using:
	Shell2.07m / Bridge card, 2MB and Western digital Hard disk.
	marco

kaz@cadovax.UUCP (Kerry Zimmerman) (11/09/87)

In article <8711061655.AA29654@decwrl.dec.com> zabot@cesare.dec.com (Adv.Tech.Mgr-ACT Torino) writes:

>	Re: Kerry Zimmerman problem.
>
>	I have the same configuration and it works fine.
>	The problem may be :
>	a) your h/w is faulty
>	b) you have rewritten your startup-sequence and have
>	   omitted the delay after DJMOUNT.
>	I had some problem with the standard startup-sequence which
>	has a WAIT 25. Increased that to WAIT 35 I had no further problem.
>	I'm using:
>	Shell2.07m / Bridge card, 2MB and Western digital Hard disk.
>	marco

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but isn't DJMOUNT only if you are using a hard
drive on the MS-DOS side of the machine?  My configuration has the
harddisk on the AmigaDos side.  I don't use DJMOUNT, I use binddrivers and
the hd.device provided by Commodore.

Andy recently posted that the problem I found is known, and can be fixed
by getting a new copy of the hd.device.  When I get my copy I will post a
note telling everyone if the problem is fixed.

Kerry Zimmerman
#  {ucbvax,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!kaz  Contel Business Systems 213-323-8170
A difference between an amateur and a professional,
is that a professional has the right tools.

kaz@cadovax.UUCP (Kerry Zimmerman) (11/09/87)

I received the new hddisk file from Andy today, tested it out, and I am
happy to report that the problem with the hddisk and the shell and initial
CLI is cured!!

Thanks for everyone's help, especially you Andy.