[comp.sys.amiga] Buncha Questions from a new Amiga owner

rad@masscomp.UUCP (Bob Doolittle) (11/03/87)

[Everyone else has a line here - I might as well too]

I have a new A2000, and a few questions.  I'd appreciate any help
for the "experts" out there.

"Developer" question - I love my new machine, but find the lack of
technical docs disappointing.  So I heard about this "Amiga Developer's
Program" offered by Commodore.  This program has been significantly
reworked recently, and a Developer seems to be quite a different beast
from what it used to be.  Evidently for $50 I can be a "Certified
Developer".  I presumed this entitled me to technical docs, but find now
that I'm "accepted" to apply for the program that I just get "discounts"
on unspecified software, docs and hardware (and the BIX).  I guess I am
expected to send in my $50 and get a surprise :-{, but before doing so I
wanted to know if anyone out there has done this and what they got for
it.  Is any of it worth it?  Is the BIX worthwhile?

Shell question - I compiled the new shell from Matt, using latest Manx
compiler, and it works great except when run from my original CLI.
I.E., if I use popcli to get a CLI and run it out of there, it is fine.
If I use newcli in my startup-sequence and run it out of there, fine
again.  If I just remove the endcli from my startup-sequence and replace
it with "shell login.sh" it hangs.  Yes, I have upped my stack size to
8192 (I like round numbers).  Any ideas?  I don't like to have to invoke
the shell and then source the login.sh.  I'd rather have it done for me
at startup.

PC bridge/printer question - I have a piece of PC software I want to run
on the bridge card which is written in BASIC and wants to use the line
printer (with LPRINT).  I don't have one.  I have heard of a program for
AmigaDOS (called, imaginatively enough, "cmd"), which diverts output to
the printer into a file on disk.  This would be ideal here, however, the
docs on the bridge card imply that if the bridge owns the LP, amigaDOS
can't get to it.  I know nothing about MS-DOS, but can learn if I must
(yech).  Is there a standard way to do something like this on PCs?  Will
it work on the Amiga?  Can I replace the Amiga program which points
MS-DOS to the printer with one which points it into a file?  Or will
"cmd" just work?  Or will an MSBASIC program just work with AmigaBasic?
Maybe somebody at C-A can answer this...  I can hack C code to fix it if
I know what tack to take.

For soundscape gurus - I can save songs to my hard disk, but it can't
seem to load them again.  It just noops when I select the file to load.
My fault or soundscape's?  Works fine from floppies.

--------
Please send replies to
UUCP:	{ihnp4,decvax,seismo}!masscomp!rad

carolyn@cbmvax.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner CATS) (11/04/87)

In article <2490@masscomp.UUCP> rad@masscomp.UUCP (Bob Doolittle) writes:
>[]
>"Developer" question - I love my new machine, but find the lack of
>technical docs disappointing.  So I heard about this "Amiga Developer's
>Program" offered by Commodore.  This program has been significantly
>reworked recently, and a Developer seems to be quite a different beast
>from what it used to be.  Evidently for $50 I can be a "Certified
>Developer".  I presumed this entitled me to technical docs, but find now
>that I'm "accepted" to apply for the program that I just get "discounts"
>on unspecified software, docs and hardware (and the BIX).  I guess I am
>expected to send in my $50 and get a surprise :-{, but before doing so I
>wanted to know if anyone out there has done this and what they got for
>it.  Is any of it worth it?  Is the BIX worthwhile?

For the $50, a Certified Developer currently gets:

    Hardware discounts on up to 3 systems (1 year)
    Amigamail and Amigamail Postcards (1 year - normally $20)
    $10 BIX signup discount coupon
    $20 credit toward any one of our support materials

The hardware discounts alone are worth much more than $50, and the rest of
the stuff is worth a total of $50.

As for BIX, it's not cheap, but a large number of the major commercial Amiga
developers are there and that makes it very interesting and informative.
It also make it THE place for hammering out new standards, IFF forms, etc.

Carolyn Scheppner -- CATS   >>Commodore Amiga Technical Support<<
                     UUCP  ...{allegra,ihnp4,rutgers}!cbmvax!carolyn
                     PHONE 215-431-9180

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (11/05/87)

In article <2490@masscomp.UUCP> rad@masscomp.UUCP (Bob Doolittle) writes:
>[Everyone else has a line here - I might as well too]
>
>I have a new A2000, and a few questions.  I'd appreciate any help
>for the "experts" out there.

>Shell question - I compiled the new shell from Matt, using latest Manx
>compiler, and it works great except when run from my original CLI.
>I.E., if I use popcli to get a CLI and run it out of there, it is fine.

see my posting on hddisk.device

>PC bridge/printer question - I have a piece of PC software I want to run
>on the bridge card which is written in BASIC and wants to use the line
>printer (with LPRINT).  I don't have one.  I have heard of a program for
>AmigaDOS (called, imaginatively enough, "cmd"), which diverts output to
>the printer into a file on disk.

A bit of history...on our 6502 based machines CMD was the command
to divert output to a particular device address.

>This would be ideal here, however, the
>docs on the bridge card imply that if the bridge owns the LP, amigaDOS
>can't get to it.  I know nothing about MS-DOS, but can learn if I must
>(yech).  Is there a standard way to do something like this on PCs?  Will
>it work on the Amiga?

Unfortunately, LPT1 allocates the parallel bits itself, so it can
attempt to emulate all the strange things which PC program
writers want to do with their parallel port.
(in doesn't use the parallel port)

What you need to do is write a replacement program on the Amiga side
which uses the printer interrupt bit from the PC to the
Amiga side, and does things other than put the output to
the parallel bits.

(you'll need the A500/A2000 tech ref guide before you try this, though)

It would be a nice project; if only I had some time :-)

			andy
--
andy finkel		{ihnp4|seismo|allegra}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"Interfere?  Of course we'll interfere.  Always do what you're best at,
 I always say."

bakken@tahoma.ARPA (Dave Bakken) (11/05/87)

In article <2679@cbmvax.UUCP>, carolyn@cbmvax.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner CATS) writes:
> For the $50, a Certified Developer currently gets:
>
>     Hardware discounts on up to 3 systems (1 year)
> [other info]
> The hardware discounts alone are worth much more than $50, and the rest of
> the stuff is worth a total of $50.

Would you please expand on what hardware discounts a Certified Developer gets,
Carolyn?  Thanks.

--
Dave Bakken
Boeing Commercial Airplane Company

carolyn@cbmvax.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner CATS) (11/09/87)

In article <197@tahoma.ARPA> bakken@tahoma.ARPA (Dave Bakken) writes:

>Would you please expand on what hardware discounts a Certified Developer gets,
>Carolyn?  Thanks.

Sorry, but no.  I can't expand on it because developer hardware prices are only
released to registered developers.