[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga advertisement, yet another one.

How about:

	"This is Bill Blue. He's waiting for his computer to recalculate
	 a spreadsheet. He's also waiting for OS/2. Poor Bill.

	"This is Mac User. He's waiting for his computer to print a letter
	 on his laser printer. He's also waiting for programs that can really
	 use Multifinder. Poor Mac.

	"This is Amy Expert. She's working on a new proposal while her
	 computer is recalculating a spreadsheet and printing a letter on
	 her laser printer. She's been using Intuition for a year now.

	"AMIGA -- NO WAITING."

Cut to a sillhouette of a guy falling asleep at a computer overlaid with the
international negation symbol. Underneath is the OLD Amiga logo.

(Am I the only one who thinks the new Amiga logo really stinks?)
--
-- Peter da Silva  `-_-'  ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter
-- Disclaimer: These U aren't mere opinions... these are *values*.

jmpiazza@sunybcs.UUCP (11/06/87)

In article <981@sugar.UUCP> peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
>How about:
>	"This is Mac User. He's waiting for his computer to print a letter
>	 on his laser printer. He's also waiting for programs that can really
>	 use Multifinder. Poor Mac.

	Not so poor, I think.  We have a Mac SE, Mac+ and a LaserWriter+ at
work.  Printing letters with the latest LaserWriter driver and Word 3.01
LETTERS print almost instantaneously.  We also have SuperLaser Spool which
does a very good job at running LaserWriter jobs in the background.

	We also have VersaTerm that (I belkieve) can download in the
background under MultiFinder, but MultiFinder isn't available yet! (at least
as of last week -- I'm way behind in comp.sys.mac).

	(I prefer your previous commercial suggestion)

>(Am I the only one who thinks the new Amiga logo really stinks?)

	No.  (I wouldn't say it stinks, but I am not impressed).

Flip side,

	joe piazza

--- Cogito ergo equus sum.

CS Dept. SUNY at Buffalo 14260
UU: ...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!jmpiazza
CS: jmpiazza@cs.buffalo.edu
BI: jmpiazza@sunybcs

In article <6329@sunybcs.UUCP>, jmpiazza@sunybcs.uucp (Joseph M. Piazza) writes:
> In article <981@sugar.UUCP> peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
> >How about:
> >	"This is Mac User. He's waiting for his computer to print a letter
> >	 on his laser printer. He's also waiting for programs that can really
> >	 use Multifinder. Poor Mac.
> 	Not so poor, I think.  ...{explains how spooling software works}...

OK. Then stick an appropriate task you can't do on the Mac. Multifinder is
a step in the right direction... but it's not there yet.

(oh yes, let's see you run it with 512K)

I really envy the Mac's seeming immunity to developers who do things differently
just for the sake of being different. But I wouldn't get one.
--
-- Peter da Silva  `-_-'  ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter
-- Disclaimer: These U aren't mere opinions... these are *values*.

klm@munsell.UUCP (Kevin [Being Weird Isn't Enough] McBride) (11/09/87)

Let's see now... if there was a *really* good WYSIWYG page setting package
for the AMIGA that would produce *really* good output on a laser printer,
(I don't know, maybe there is.  Is there?) we could clone the Macintosh
commercial...

You know the one, two business executives sitting on a plane, one of them
is looking over a report.  The other one says something like "Gee, I wish
we could do reports like that, but sending them outside is too expensive."
The other one says, "We didn't send this out.  We did it on our computer."

"You did *THAT* on your computer?"

"Yup."

"What kind of computer?"

(smiles)

"No, come on!  What kind of computer?"

(smiles)

[fade to black.  fade in Amiga logo.]

What Commodore has to STOP doing is showing the Amiga as 1) a game machine,
2) a mystery machine (like the new A500 commercial.  swirling pools of mist,
indeed!  It didn't say anything about what the machine can do!)

What Commodore has to START doing is showing the Amiga as a serious computer
that is capable of running professional quality applications, serving as a
platform for serious programming effort, doing amateur video and music
applications, and LASTLY, playing great games.  On second thought, leave
games out of the commercials completely.  Let dealers push games.

Impressive demo:  Maxiplan running a full blown business spreadsheet
		  application with a pie chart over in a corner.
		  Pull down the spreadsheet screen to reveal some fancy
		  text and graphics on PageSetter.

Commercial scenario #2:

<announcer> 198?  IBM gave us the Personal Computer.
[fade in picture of abomination]

<announcer> 198?  Apple gave us the Macintosh.  "The computer for the
		rest of us."
[fipoa]

<announcer> 198?  Commodore presents the computer for everyone.
[fade in picture of ONE Amiga, sliding screens in a waterfall fashion,
each screen showing something impressive.  Spreadsheet, Word processing,
WorkBench with a bunch of open windows, a clock and a Gizmoz popup calculator.
Ad infinitum.

Final screen before fade out to Amiga logo:  Boing ball with sound.
sound gets loud.  Fade to Amiga logo and continue Boing sound until final
fade out.

I know that using some of these ideas verbatim would get you sued for
copyright infringement, but you get the gist, right??

Let's get rid of the mysticism and tell people what the machine can do!

--
Kevin McBride, the guy in the brace //       | Your mind is totally controlled
Condition improved, but still      //        | It has been stuffed into my mold