[comp.sys.amiga] strange bug in DeluxePaint II

jwz@SPICE.CS.CMU.EDU (Jamie Zawinski) (11/09/87)

This is an odd one...  I have a directory on my hard disk, dh0:pictures,
which contains 60 files.  It also has three subdirectories, which contain
10-20 files each.

When I'm in Dpaint, I select load, and a file requestor comes up.  I can go
browsing around my directory structure to my heart's content with the
requestor, until I get to dh0:pictures; ANY time I try to look at that
directory from here things go wacky.  The window doesn't list filenames; it
is filled with random-looking characters.  But, if I click in this mess, the
filename which SHOULD be there will appear in the "Filename:" field.

I just now went into Dpaint to check this, and it acted differently!  I
started it with the lowest possible resolution and selected load.  It acted
as I described above, but afterwards my keyboard was completely hung.  I
could move windows and screen around with the mouse, but nothing would take
typein.

Other programs have no problem dealing with this directory; DigiPaint,
CShell, CLI, and MicroGnuEmacs all can list, read, and write to this
directory with no weirdness.

Any ideas?

Jamie (jwz@spice.cs.cmu.edu)

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (11/10/87)

In article <334@PT.CS.CMU.EDU> jwz@SPICE.CS.CMU.EDU (Jamie Zawinski) writes:

>This is an odd one...  I have a directory on my hard disk, dh0:pictures,
>which contains 60 files.  It also has three subdirectories, which contain
>10-20 files each.
>
>When I'm in Dpaint, I select load, and a file requestor comes up.  I can go
>browsing around my directory structure to my heart's content with the
>requestor, until I get to dh0:pictures; ANY time I try to look at that
>directory from here things go wacky.

There is a known DPAINT bug, which causes it to go wonky if it sees
a drawer with more than 40 pictures.  Solution ?  Keep less than
40 pictures in a drawer; you also might see if EA has got an update;
I haven't heard of one, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.

--
andy finkel		{ihnp4|seismo|allegra}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from
 a rigged demo."

mike@ronin.cc.umich.edu (Michael Nowak) (11/10/87)

In article <334@PT.CS.CMU.EDU> jwz@SPICE.CS.CMU.EDU (Jamie Zawinski) writes:

>When I'm in Dpaint, I select load, and a file requestor comes up.  I can go
>browsing around my directory structure to my heart's content with the
>requestor, until I get to dh0:pictures; ANY time I try to look at that
>directory from here things go wacky.  The window doesn't list filenames; it
>is filled with random-looking characters.  But, if I click in this mess, the
>filename which SHOULD be there will appear in the "Filename:" field.

>Jamie (jwz@spice.cs.cmu.edu)

I had the very same problem.  In my case, it turned out that the disk
was damaged.  Luckily it was my backup and not my original.

 In Real Life:	Michael Nowak                        |  Cogito
 Via Internet:	mike@ronin.cc.umich.edu              |     Ergo
 Via UUCP:	uunet!umix!ronin.cc.umich.edu!mike   |        Zoom!

 Working for but in no way representing the University of Michigan.