[comp.sys.amiga] Thanks for turning me on to a good emulator

oliver@unc.cs.unc.edu (Bill Oliver) (11/04/87)

A few weeks ago, I wrote to the net complaining that neither Diga! nor Online!
(why do all these Amiga products insist on ending with an exclamation?) provided
true full support of Tektronix 4014 commands.  Basically, I was trying to use
the graph and plot utilities on a UNIX system with little success.

A poster, whose name I have lost, suggested that I try A-Talk Plus, indicating
that, unlike the other two products, this package supported essentially all
graphics commands when emulating a Tektronix terminal.

I decided to give it a try, and lo and behold, there is actually a terminal
program out there that does what it says it does.  I have been playing away
like crazy with the plot commands, and have yet to see a bug.  The only criticism
I have is that the Tek emulation uses an interlace screen, which I am not
a fan of.  But it certainly works.

I would like to thank the folks on the net who suggested I try the package.
You have saved me great amounts of hassle.  Sorry I lost your names.

Good job, Felsina Software.

Try some truth in advertising, Online! and Diga!.  There went a couple of
hundred bucks down the tubes.

Peace,

Bill Oliver

papa@uscacsc.UUCP (Marco Papa) (11/06/87)

Thanks for the good words about our product.  We are currently building a
MAJOR upgrade to A-Talk Plus, and there is still time for additions/changes.

Concerning the Tek 4014 only interlace, we are definitely evaluating adding
a non-interlaced 640x200 screen option for people that object too much the
interlace mode.  In the meantime try to change the green value and the contrast.

-- Marco Papa
   Felsina Software

ans@well.UUCP (Anne Schweizer) (11/11/87)

In article <301@uscacsc.UUCP> papa@pollux.UUCP (Marco Papa) writes:
>Thanks for the good words about our product.  We are currently building a
>MAJOR upgrade to A-Talk Plus, and there is still time for additions/changes.
>
>Concerning the Tek 4014 only interlace, we are definitely evaluating adding
>a non-interlaced 640x200 screen option for people that object too much the
>interlace mode.  In the meantime try to change the green value and the contrast

What about 640x256 ?? I live in Europe and my Amiga displays 256 Lines..
so i like all programms that use all our lines in order not to leave
a blank, thick border of 6 cm !!!.
I hope that in future more developers in the  USA take attention to this, often
forgotten, feature !!.

>-- Marco Papa
>   Felsina Software

Anne Schweizer, working in a swiss bank....