[comp.sys.amiga] Vt100 bug: Squished, and more

joels@tekred.TEK.COM (Joel Swank) (11/10/87)

From VT100 V2.7 readme:

	- Nagging bug: On 2nd and subsequent uses of the requester, the
	  1st character of the last use is redisplayed.  Intuition bug?

I got tired of this sucker last weekend, so I tracked it down and
squished it.

The Answer:
In window.c subroutine req() change:
    /* copy in a prompt and a default */
    strncpy(Prompt,prmpt,lprmpt); Prompt[lprmpt+1] = '\0';
    strncpy(InpBuf,name,lname); InpBuf[lname+1] = '\0';
To:
    /* copy in a prompt and a default */
    strncpy(Prompt,prmpt,lprmpt); Prompt[lprmpt] = '\0';
    strncpy(InpBuf,name,lname); InpBuf[lname] = '\0';
This bug also caused the Prompt field to get munged.

Another irritation with this program:

- req() subroutine in window.c leaves keyboard active in requestor
  window.  It should re-activate main window.

Add as the last statement in subroutine req() in window.c:
	ActivateWindow(mywindow);

There a couple of other places that this call should be added, but
I haven't tracked them down yet. This takes care of the great majority.

There's another addition I needed, so I put it in while I was in there:

In order to have a beep at completion of kermit file transfer.
In vt100.c add a copy of the the statement:

		cmd_beep();

After each of the following statements:

	    multi_xfer(name,dokreceive,0);

	    multi_xfer("",dokreceive,0);

	    multi_xfer(name,doksend,1);

A better solution would to be to add a flag that could be set in the
init file that would turn on or off beeps for all xfers, and code to
check the flag and do the cmd_beep in multi_xfer.

Joel Swank
Tektronix, Redmond, Oregon
joels@tekred.TEK.COM

acs@amdahl.amdahl.com (Tony Sumrall) (11/11/87)

In article <1811@tekred.TEK.COM> joels@tekred.TEK.COM (Joel Swank) writes:
>From VT100 V2.7 readme:
>
>	- Nagging bug: On 2nd and subsequent uses of the requester, the
>	  1st character of the last use is redisplayed.  Intuition bug?
>
>I got tired of this sucker last weekend, so I tracked it down and
>squished it.
>
>The Answer:

Thanks, Joel!  I'll include that in R2.8 (due, maybe, end of year).

>Another irritation with this program:
>
>- req() subroutine in window.c leaves keyboard active in requestor
>  window.  It should re-activate main window.

Well, your "fix" will do but...how do you know that you should re-activate
the main window?  The requester could've been pulled up because of a
transfer requested via a script file.  It would be possible to find the
last active window prior to the Activate call but how do you know that
that's the window that should be reactivated?  Unless someone can convince
me that there is a sure-fire way to *know* which window needs to be
reactivated I'm not planning on incorporating this into the newest rel.

>There's another addition I needed, so I put it in while I was in there:
>
>In order to have a beep at completion of kermit file transfer.

I'll include a new flag that can be set for compilation as well as
toggled by script/init cmd.

>Joel Swank

If anyone else has fixes or requests, send 'em to me.  Like I said, I
plan on releasing 2.8 sometime around the end of the year.  I'll post a
list of the things that I've already got planned in the near future (yes,
I'm supporting overscan (the right way!), I'll fix the AbortIO(), the
filelocking (aka currentdir bug) and the overzealous xmodem chopping).
I'm definitely including kermit support for long packets and may even
redo the xmodem stuff to include Y/Zmodem support (anyone wanna volunteer
to send me new x/y/zmodem code? :-)
--
Tony Sumrall acs@amdahl.com <=> amdahl!acs

[ Opinions expressed herein are the author's and should not be construed
  to reflect the views of Amdahl Corp. ]

peter@dalcsug.UUCP (Peter Philip) (11/11/87)

In article <1811@tekred.TEK.COM> joels@tekred.TEK.COM (Joel Swank) writes:
>From VT100 V2.7 readme:
>
>	- Nagging bug: On 2nd and subsequent uses of the requester, the
>	  1st character of the last use is redisplayed.  Intuition bug?
>
>Joel Swank
>Tektronix, Redmond, Oregon
>joels@tekred.TEK.COM

Thanks Joel!  These were BUGging me too.  A couple people I know have
also been running into another problem with VT100, when doing kermit
SEND's I seem to get alot of retries.  Since this is happening to
several people, on several different VAX's it makes me think that there
might be a bug fix that I missed.  Is this happening to anyone else?
I tend to get retries on between 20-40% of the packets *all* the time.

Also, our site only gets binaries, no sources :-(
so I missed the new documentation to vt100, could someone MAIL it to me?

mucho thanks,

- Peter Philip
- peter@yiyiyP^P^P