[comp.sys.amiga] Commodore First Quarter Report

Commodore International Ltd reported a first-quarter net imcome 70% jump
on increased sales of the Amiga line of computers.  A BIX message by Gail
Wellington reported at 230,000 the Amiga installed base as of 30 June, 1987
and a Total Projected Amiga Installed Base of 1/2 Million by January 1988.

Somebody must be doing *SOMETHING* right.

-- Marco

kent@xanth.UUCP (Kent Paul Dolan) (11/13/87)

In article <5144@oberon.USC.EDU> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>Commodore International Ltd reported a first-quarter net imcome 70% jump
>on increased sales of the Amiga line of computers.  A BIX message by Gail
>Wellington reported at 230,000 the Amiga installed base as of 30 June, 1987
>and a Total Projected Amiga Installed Base of 1/2 Million by January 1988.
>
>Somebody must be doing *SOMETHING* right.
>
>-- Marco

You made me sooooo happy!  Tuesday after the big cliff-jump, I broke
open the piggy bank and went down and dumped all my grotty old pennies
into (ta da!) Commodore common at 7 3/8.  (Slow broker; it was 6 1/2
Monday afternoon, but I had to open an account, so my order didn't
make it in until 10:30 or so.  Partly my fault, too; I just had to
play one more game of nethack - cost me about $250 for that game!)  My
reasoning?  Panics are counter-logic.  The net says Commodore is in
good shape, dealers everywhere can't keep A500's on the shelf, and
even the A2000 I bitch about so much is going out the door "one every
15 minutes" from at least one dealer's showroom.  Commodore had taken
a one day dive from 10 1/2 to 6 1/2, but the net news wasn't out to
the general marketroids [Horrors.  Is USENet "insider information"?],
and in fact the stock should have been heading in the other direction.
So, in for a nickel, in for them all, goes I.

Now, with the market still floundering around, and looking for good
news to jump onto, here's a company that has a spectacular gain to
report, and a stock that is still way, way under its 12 month high.  I
hope I'm right in anticipating a big jump, as money looking for a home
finds Commodore common.  My hope is that it will regain its high of 15
as soon as its post Christmas sales totals are announced.  What do you
think?  Am I gonna get rich?  (Not on that investment, but still ...
it's nice to pretend.)

This is my chance to say a sincere thank you to the CATS and other CBM
folk on the net.  Without the hard work of all of you, and the help
you give others here and elsewhere, the Amiga wouldn't be the success
it is and continues to be.  I promise, if ever the divorce lawyers
stop carving pieces of me away, the profits from this will buy an
A2000.  I often disagree with you, I occassionally call your good
judgement into question, and the only way you can find to get even is
to make me richer.  You are really nice people, every one of you.
Love to you all!

Kent, the (for once, humbled by the worth of others) man from xanth.