[comp.sys.amiga] new file system???

ugmiker@cs.buffalo.EDU (Michael (what am I wood) Reilly) (11/11/87)

Hi all...

     Well, The suspense is Killing me.  IS Commodore really  com-
ing  out  with  a new file system, or is all this talk on the net
just idle wishing???

      Can anyone tell me HARD COLD FACTS about it??? Does anybody
KNOW (meaning  really know, not just "heard") something about iti,
anything :-).  People at commodore, could you tell  us  something
about  it (if it exists ????) without getting yourself into trou-
ble, maybe just tell us either it is being worked on,or it isn't.

     I have LOTS of questions about it, and about what will  hap-
pen when it comes out (if it is coming out), How much faster will
it be (it will be faster.. right....)? Will hard drives  have  to
be reformatted when the new system comes out??? Will floppys have
to be re-copied????

     Now another question is what kind  of  work  would  go  into
writing  a/the  new  filesystem? would you have to know about how
the diskdrive records data? about how to move  the  drive  heads?
and  so on?  Would it be a hardware intensive problem, or more of
a software oriented problem(i.e. just calling functions  that  do
the  head  moving and etc.)?  As you can tell, I am not sure what
it would take, and realize I could not do it (alone  especially),
but I am wondering, if commodore is not working on it would it be
a mammoth task for one(or a few) to undertake???

						mike(r)
Michael (what am I wood??) Reilly
University of Buffalo Computer Science
--------------------------------------
CSNET:	ugmiker@buffalo.CSNET
INTERNET: ugmiker@{joey,marvin}.cs.buffalo.edu
UUCP:	..!{nike|watmath,alegra,decvax}!sunybcs!ugmiker
BITNET:	ugmiker@sunybcs.BITNET   <-OR->   ACSCMPR@ubvmsc.BITNET

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (11/12/87)

In article <6460@sunybcs.UUCP> ugmiker@sunybcs.UUCP (Michael (what am I wood) Reilly) writes:
>Hi all...
>
>     Well, The suspense is Killing me.  IS Commodore really  com-
>ing  out  with  a new file system, or is all this talk on the net
>just idle wishing???
>
>      Can anyone tell me HARD COLD FACTS about it??? Does anybody
>KNOW (meaning  really know, not just "heard") something about iti,
>anything :-).  People at commodore, could you tell  us  something
>about  it (if it exists ????) without getting yourself into trou-
>ble, maybe just tell us either it is being worked on,or it isn't.

"It is not the policy of Commodore Business Machines to comment
about products that may or may not be under development."

(Guess what company I lifted that quote from :-) )

What the hell.  I guess I can take the risk, following the general
guidelines of tell 'em everything except when :-)

Yes, we're doing a fast file system for hard disk
drives.  With our controller, current read speeds are about 220K/sec.
(we seem to be .device bound, actually).  Hard drives will
have to be reformatted.  Currently, its only for hard disks.

Its very nice, and will see the light of day when the bugs
are out.

			andy
--
andy finkel		{ihnp4|seismo|allegra}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from
 a rigged demo."

dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU.UUCP (11/12/87)

	O.K.  Now that Andy has graciously informed us that there is indeed
a fast filesystem for the HD in development at Commdore, let's stop with the
deluge of questions and rumors that have been flying about for that last
couple of weeks.

	Anybody who reads comp.sys.atari can tell you that the
rumor->question->answer->huge_discussion path is a bad idea.  Apart from the
recent Subject=upgrade-path flames, we've treated ourselves rather well.  I
*don't* want to see comp.sys.amiga follow in the footsteps of comp.sys.atari
down that path!

					-Matt

In article <2737@cbmvax.UUCP> andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) writes:

>What the hell.  I guess I can take the risk, following the general
>guidelines of tell 'em everything except when :-)
>
>Yes, we're doing a fast file system for hard disk
>drives.  With our controller, current read speeds are about 220K/sec.
>(we seem to be .device bound, actually).  Hard drives will
>have to be reformatted.  Currently, its only for hard disks.

Now before we all get our knickers in a twist about this one,
it may serve well to point out that the next release of
the Apollo operating system requires you to reformat
the disks. Not a trivial task at a big site where you
have to dump sagan-bytes of data onto tape, format the
disks and restore the files.

It does buy us the Berkely soft cylander grouping scheme
however. It this what the new fast filesystem is all about
Andy ?

--
Richard J. Sexton
INTERNET:     richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

"It's too dark to put the keys in my ignition..."