[comp.sys.amiga] Lies

>     Permission to reprint or excerpt is granted only if the following line
>appears at the top of the article:

Sorry, but this is plain advertising. NO WAY I'll quote the real thing. It
should have been:

     Jack TRAMIEL, COPYRIGHT 1987.  REPRINTED BY PERMISSION

>workstations.  A single transputer can deliver over ten times the power of
>an IBM PC AT.  However, there's even greater strength in numbers.  You can
>connect two, 10, 100 or even MORE transputers to create a relatively
>low-cost computer workstation with the power of a supercomputer.

False. The "standard" number of Transputers on the ABAQ system is 1 (ONE).
The maximum is 13.

>No firm delivery
>date is set, but late 1988 seems to be the most talked-about time frame.
>From a first-hand view, the crisp, vibrant graphics (such as four separate
>pictures running simultaneously) were drawing crushing crowds.

Not Really. I dropped in twice at the ATARI booth and the smallest crowds
were at the ABAQ setup.  Both times I was able to talk with Tim King,
since NOBODY else was around.

-- Marco

neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris) (11/14/87)

> >A single transputer can deliver over ten times the power of
> >an IBM PC AT.  However, there's even greater strength in numbers.  You can
> >connect two, 10, 100 or even MORE transputers to create a relatively
> >low-cost computer workstation with the power of a supercomputer.
>
> False. The "standard" number of Transputers on the ABAQ system is 1 (ONE).
> The maximum is 13.

Internally.

The ABAQ includes 3 "links", which are 10-megabit-per-second serial
interfaces for talking to off-board transputers.

Jack Lang, in his talk at the Atari press conference at Comdex, supposed a
setup where workers each had their own transputer system on their desks,
with all of them linked together and linked to a separate box containing
many transputers.  As an application's need for processing power increased,
it could pull more transputers in.  An intriguing concept -- throw the
computer into high gear.
--
--->Neil Harris, Director of Marketing Communications, Atari Corporation
UUCP: ...{hoptoad, lll-lcc, pyramid, imagen, sun}!atari!neil

In article <888@atari.UUCP> neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris) writes:

>> False. The "standard" number of Transputers on the ABAQ system is 1 (ONE).
>> The maximum is 13.
>
>Internally.
>
>The ABAQ includes 3 "links", which are 10-megabit-per-second serial
>interfaces for talking to off-board transputers.
>
>Jack Lang, in his talk at the Atari press conference at Comdex, supposed a
>setup where workers each had their own transputer system on their desks,
>with all of them linked together and linked to a separate box containing
>many transputers.  As an application's need for processing power increased,
>it could pull more transputers in.  An intriguing concept -- throw the
>computer into high gear.

Apollo has this today - NCS - Network Computing System. Basically
a program can call subroutines on other machines on the network.
Even different computers (Cray's to PC's) on heterogeneous networks.

This was demonstrated at the national Apollo user group meeting in
San Francisco. They had about a dozen machines all hooked together,
ranging from 8Mhz 68000 to 25 Mhz 68020 to high end bit-slice
beasts. One computer ran a mandelbrot program. You zoomed in
on an area with the mouse, said "go" and ZZAP! 32 x 32 pixel squares
started coming in over the network. It was wierd to see the picture
'fade in' in little squares, but my oh my, it was fast. They also
had a ray tracer. Equally impressive !

I met one of the members of the Apollo 'midnight movie crew', and
we talked for a while. When at one point I mentioned a Cray, he
got quite mad and said "Why in hell would I want a Cray ? We have
a network of 2000 machines, of which at least 1000 are up at any
point in time. Everybody goes home at 5:30, and *poof* I don't
need a Cray. 30 DN 3000's is all you need to see damn near real
time ray tracing"

(DN3000 is 16 Mhz '020)

>Neil Harris, Director of Marketing Communications, Atari Corporation

Does anybody know what year advertising became marketing communications ?

--
Richard J. Sexton
INTERNET:     richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

"It's too dark to put the keys in my ignition..."