[comp.sys.amiga] The time

kim@amdahl.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (10/19/87)

[ There ain't no such thing as a free line. ]

I've been burning-in my B2000, and have noticed that accuracy of both the
normal internal clock (timer, really) and the battery-backed-up RTC are
unacceptable.

Can someone at CATS (Dave, George, Carolyn) please tell me if/where the
trimmers are so I can get these clocks running right?  I'd prefer not to
have to go thru the hassle of returning the machine to the dealer for just
an adjustment.

Though it should not matter, I have a 68010 in the machine (you *don't* have
any s/w timing loops in there, do you?)

In case you're interested, here are the numbers (all +/- 1 sec.):

Internal clock/timer:

   204 sec. slow in  69,520 sec.
   302 sec. slow in 102,600 sec.

Or approximately 0.29% SLOW.

RTC:

    61 sec. fast in 103,060 sec.

Or approximately 0.06% FAST.

Why aren't these locked to the line frequency, which has very good long-term
accuracy, though may suffer from short-term stability?

/kim

--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ihnp4,uunet,oliveb,cbosgd,ames}!amdahl!kim

kim@amdahl.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (10/19/87)

[ Some days you eat the line ... some days the line eat's you ... ]

In an earlier posting, I mentioned that both the timer and RTC in my B2000
were overly inaccurate.  After making the posting (naturally), I remembered
that there were schematics in the back of the manual, and although they are
for the A2000 (?), I decided to take a look.

Sure enough, they showed a jumper going to one of the 8520 timer chips, and
a small variable cap in the oscillator feeding the Oki 6242B clock/calendar
chip.  Also, the Manual Update sheets said that the J300 jumper was used to
select the time-base for the 8520 between the line-driven TICK signal (50/60
Hz), or the vertical sync pulse for the video section.  The default position
of the jumper is *supposed* to be the TICK signal.  Since this description
agreed with the schematic, I decided to open the box up for a look.

Naturally, the J300 jumper is underneath the power supply, but the sub-frame
holding it and the drives comes out easily ... just 6 screws, and a couple of
connectors (thanks!)

Yep ... the jumper was between pins 2 and 3 rather than the pictured default
between pins 1 and 2!  So the timer chip had been getting popped at the
vertical sync rate, rather than being locked to the line frequency.  No big
deal, just swap the jumper.  Now the question is ... why would one want to
drive the timer from the vertical sync, rather than from the line?  Maybe
for use in areas with ill-controlled power?

And there was indeed a small trimmer cap near the Oki chip (just in front of
the 86-pin coprocessor slot).  No markings to tell which way to go, but it's
a 50-50 shot ... I tweaked it a hair CCW (is that the correct way to turn it
to slow it down, Dave?)  We'll see ...

BTW, it would be nice if the RTC were locked to the line freq. when the machine
is plugged in (or at least is powered on), and switched to using the xtal
oscillator only for battery backup, but I guess that'd be too expensive.

Anyway, if your clock(s) aren't keeping the right time, and particularly
if the timer driven system clock is running about 0.3% slow, you now have
a couple of things to check out.

/kim

P.S.  FYI ... the Fat Agnus chip is called "FAT LADY" on the silk-screening,
      and for some reason, Buster isn't named, though Gary, Paula, and Denise
      are (this is on a rev 4.2 board).

--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ihnp4,uunet,oliveb,cbosgd,ames}!amdahl!kim
DDD:   408-746-8462
CIS:   76535,25

>RTC:
>    61 sec. fast in 103,060 sec.
>Or approximately 0.06% FAST.
>
>Why aren't these locked to the line frequency, which has very good long-term
>accuracy, though may suffer from short-term stability?

	Well, you can't have the battery backed clock on the line freqency...
the whole point is that it still keeps time even when your Amiga is unplugged.
61 secs / 103060 secs = (86400 secs/day)... about 40 seconds a day.  This is
incredibly bad!  Obviously the crystal used to run the battery backed clock is
not being tuned at the factory.  (I don't have one yet so this is a guess)...
at least, they had *better* be crystals and not ceramic resonators.

					-Matt

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (10/20/87)

In article <16531@amdahl.amdahl.com> kim@amdahl.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) writes:

>Yep ... the jumper was between pins 2 and 3 rather than the pictured default
>between pins 1 and 2!  So the timer chip had been getting popped at the
>vertical sync rate, rather than being locked to the line frequency.  No big
>deal, just swap the jumper.  Now the question is ... why would one want to
>drive the timer from the vertical sync, rather than from the line?  Maybe
>for use in areas with ill-controlled power?

This makes it compatible with the A500 which doesn't have the tick
coming from the power supply :-(  but must rely on the vertical
sync line for its timing, which we know is.........

		andy
--
andy finkel		{ihnp4|seismo|allegra}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"Interfere?  Of course we'll interfere.  Always do what you're best at,
 I always say."

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (10/22/87)

in article <16516@amdahl.amdahl.com>, kim@amdahl.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) says:

> [ There ain't no such thing as a free line. ]
>
> I've been burning-in my B2000, and have noticed that accuracy of both the
> normal internal clock (timer, really) and the battery-backed-up RTC are
> unacceptable.
>
> Can someone at CATS (Dave, George, Carolyn) please tell me if/where the
> trimmers are so I can get these clocks running right?  I'd prefer not to
> have to go thru the hassle of returning the machine to the dealer for just
> an adjustment.

OK, here goes.  The trimmer for the RTC is relatively easy to get at with just
the box top off.  You'll need a "tweaking tool", which usually looks like a
long piece of plastic with a thin metal tip (for those out there not familiar
with this sort of high-tech equipment....).  The trimmer is located just a
hair to the south of the Coprocessor slot.  It should be possible to adjust
this to be about as accurate as a digital watch, as the clock chip uses a
common watch battery.  They're supposed to be adjusted on the production line,
though it's certainly possible that some fall out in shipping and all.  There
will probably be a slight varience in the clock frequency depending on whether
or not the unit's powered on, I don't know how much this varience can amount
to.

As for the internal system clock, that is based on the 60Hz tick from your
line voltage.  Or SHOULD be.  Because in fact, the B2000 can be internally
jumpered to count time off the vertical sync line, just as the A500 does.
This is all controlled by J300, which is (you guessed it) hidden under
the power supply.  It's the jumper just a bit to the North of the Paula
chip, if you do happen to open your machine up and look inside.  These are
supposed to be shipped in the line Tick position, which means the shunt
plug is to the left.  If this is installed properly, the only other thing
that could affect your timing here is lousy line frequency regulation in
your area.

> Though it should not matter, I have a 68010 in the machine (you *don't* have
> any s/w timing loops in there, do you?)

I've got one too, and as far as I know, my clocks stay pretty accurate.

> Why aren't these locked to the line frequency, which has very good long-term
> accuracy, though may suffer from short-term stability?

The OS clock is, or should be, but that only works when the machine is on.  The
RTC can't be, or it would lose its time base if the power went out or you
moved the machine.

--
Dave Haynie     Commodore-Amiga    Usenet: {ihnp4|caip|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh
   "The B2000 Guy"              PLINK : D-DAVE H             BIX   : hazy

jdow@gryphon.CTS.COM (Joanne Dow) (10/23/87)

In article <2572@cbmvax.UUCP> daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:
>in article <16516@amdahl.amdahl.com>, kim@amdahl.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) says:
>
>> Why aren't these locked to the line frequency, which has very good long-term
>> accuracy, though may suffer from short-term stability?
>
>The OS clock is, or should be, but that only works when the machine is on.  The
>RTC can't be, or it would lose its time base if the power went out or you
>moved the machine.

Ah well padnah it can be done. Some years ago I had a clock chip for my
amateur radio station (lost in subsequent moves...) that accepted line
frequency clocks until they died. Then, with a loss of perhaps two or three
clocks, it picked up from an internal clock. Thus I was able to leave it on
continuously and as long as line frequency remained it remained line synched.
Once it was unplugged or the lines went down the local "clock" kept it to
reasonably close time.

Howsosomeever that'd add perhaps a dozen bucks worth of parts and assembly time
to the A2000/A500 and if we do that enough we could price the fool things up
into the Mac levels of the stratosphere.

> /kim
>--
>Dave Haynie     Commodore-Amiga    Usenet: {ihnp4|caip|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh
>   "The B2000 Guy"              PLINK : D-DAVE H             BIX   : hazy
>    "Computers are what happen when you give up sleeping" - Iggy the Cat

--
<@_@>
	BIX:jdow

Remember - A bird in the hand often leaves a sticky deposit. Perhaps it was
better you left it in the bush with the other one.

kim@amdahl.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (10/30/87)

In article <2541@cbmvax.UUCP>, andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) writes:
> In article <16531@amdahl.amdahl.com> kim@amdahl.amdahl.com (I) wrote:
>
> >Yep ... the jumper was between pins 2 and 3 rather than the pictured default
> >between pins 1 and 2!  So the timer chip had been getting popped at the
> >vertical sync rate, rather than being locked to the line frequency.  No big
> >deal, just swap the jumper.  Now the question is ... why would one want to
> >drive the timer from the vertical sync, rather than from the line?  Maybe
> >for use in areas with ill-controlled power?
>
> This makes it compatible with the A500 which doesn't have the tick
> coming from the power supply :-(  but must rely on the vertical
> sync line for its timing, which we know is.........

Strange that it (the 500) doesn't pick off the line frequency ... doesn't
seem like much of a cost savings not to.

An "interesting" side effect of changing the jumper from the video sync to
the line tick, is that my floppy now *grinds* noticibly LOUDER (gak!)
Everything is nice and tight, mounting wise, so it must be due to the
slight difference in timer interrupt rates (resonance ?)  Sounds pretty
fishy, but I don't have a better explanation ...

Last night, I installed a 2nd 3.5" floppy, and *it* is REALLY quiet ...
literally, quiet as a whisper.  It's the exact same Matsushita drive
(model, assembly level, etc.) as df0: but *much* quieter than df0: was
even before I changed the timer jumper!  Oh well ...

/kim

--

In article <17264@amdahl.amdahl.com> kim@amdahl.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) writes:

> > This makes it compatible with the A500 which doesn't have the tick
> > coming from the power supply :-(  but must rely on the vertical
> > sync line for its timing, which we know is.........
>
> Strange that it (the 500) doesn't pick off the line frequency ... doesn't
> seem like much of a cost savings not to.

	Well, all A500 power supplies are switching supplies, and one class of
	switcher, the kind that rectifies the line current directly and puts
	the isolation transformer after the switching circuitry, doesn't have
	any convienient 60 Hz transformer where you can pick up the line
	frequency tick.  There were some alternatives but they all seemed
	to do disproportionate things to the cost of the supply, cable and
	connectors.

> An "interesting" side effect of changing the jumper from the video sync to
> the line tick, is that my floppy now *grinds* noticibly LOUDER (gak!)
> Everything is nice and tight, mounting wise, so it must be due to the
> slight difference in timer interrupt rates (resonance ?)  Sounds pretty
> fishy, but I don't have a better explanation ...

	This is flatly and completely impossible!!!  Meaning I guess we
	should try it here and see if we see the same kind of effect.
	One possibility would be that using the vertical sync signal the
	clock related software activity is always synchronized to the
	video related activity, whereas in the line frequency it would
	tend to gradually drift in and out of sync.

> Last night, I installed a 2nd 3.5" floppy, and *it* is REALLY quiet ...
> literally, quiet as a whisper.  It's the exact same Matsushita drive
> (model, assembly level, etc.) as df0: but *much* quieter than df0: was
> even before I changed the timer jumper!  Oh well ...

	Life is strange...

--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {ihnp4|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!grr
but no way officially representing	arpa: out to lunch...