[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga 500 hard drives?

willis@auvax.UUCP (Tony Willis) (10/05/87)

I recently bought an Amiga 500 and would like to upgrade the machine
to include a 20 Mb hard drive. However my friendly local Amiga dealer
tells me that nothing is yet available because of something to do with
"a cable has to be modified" so that drives currently used for the
1000 can also run on the 500. Can anybody from Commodore give me an
estimate as to when hard drives will be available for the 500?

Tony Willis

Athabasca University             ...ihnp4!alberta!auvax!willis  uucp
Box 10,000                          usercdir@ualtamts           BITNET
Athabasca, Alberta TOG 2R0
Canada                           (403) 675-6221

In article <334@auvax.UUCP> willis@auvax.UUCP (Tony Willis) writes:
> I recently bought an Amiga 500 and would like to upgrade the machine
> to include a 20 Mb hard drive. However my friendly local Amiga dealer
> tells me that nothing is yet available because of something to do with
> "a cable has to be modified" so that drives currently used for the
> 1000 can also run on the 500. Can anybody from Commodore give me an
> estimate as to when hard drives will be available for the 500?

The Microbotics MAS-20 drive should be easily adaptable to the A500
parallel port, in fact I would expect they would now have some kind of
adapter or alternate cable available.  I believe some other company,
whose name I seem to have forgotten, may have taken over retailing this
drive, check with Microbotics anyhow.

There has been no announcement of a Commodore branded A500 hard drive.
I believe several of the A1000 peripheral manufactures are working on,
or have completed A500 versions of their products - check around.

--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {ihnp4|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!grr
but no way officially representing	arpa: out to lunch...