[comp.sys.amiga] C= Educational Policy

mlm@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu (Mike McMullen) (10/01/87)

Several months ago a number was posted that supposedly was for C='s
Educational Sales division. I tried repeatedly over a month period to
dial that number. I also tried going through Commodore's other numbers
in the vain hope that I would get transferred to the correct department.
I was transferred several times but there was never any answer. I left
messages with my name, number and organization repeatedly with no reply.

I've been pushing hard for Amiga support at our Computing Center here
at NC State. I provide a multi-user BBS that along with software for other
machines, has all the current Fish disks and net stuff. Our director is
interested in the machine and would like to pursue Educational discounts
like we have from IBM and Apple for our student supply store. However
interest I have whipped up is winding down due to lack of ANY response from
Commodore. So PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE someone in Commodore give me some kind
of response or contact number before a golden chance is lost here at NC
State.

Mike McMullen
Systems Group
NCSU Computing Center
Raleigh, NC 27695
voice (919)737-2517
net   mlm@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu

ralph@mit-atrp.UUCP (10/02/87)

I hope this isn't the wrong info now that it's older, but...
Here at MIT I've also been trying to get Commodore to be involved in
selling Amigae at the school computer store. I eventually got this name
and phone number, and actually talked to the guy.
He even said he'd be willing to come here and talk it over with the admin.
types.
I heard recently he had traveled to Univeristy of Lowell here in Mass
to talk to them.
Unfortunately my thesis then ate me alive and I haven't followed
further since (what's a 'party' ?)
Anyway, here's the name and number. A thousand pardons if this person
or someone at the other end of the phone has changed:

Dave Archambault (spelling?)
Commodore University Relations
(215)-431-9193

I've posted this since I *know* there are lots of schools on the
net who are interested. Remember the 'discussion' of school discounts
about a year ago  :-) ?

"I wanna be Max Headroom"

davidlo@vaxwaller.UUCP (10/02/87)

In article <1601@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU>, ralph@mit-atrp.UUCP (Amiga-Man) writes:
> I hope this isn't the wrong info now that it's older, but...
> Here at MIT I've also been trying to get Commodore to be involved in
> selling Amigae at the school computer store. I eventually got this name
> and phone number, and actually talked to the guy.
> He even said he'd be willing to come here and talk it over with the admin.
> types.
> I heard recently he had traveled to Univeristy of Lowell here in Mass
> to talk to them.
>
> I've posted this since I *know* there are lots of schools on the
> net who are interested. Remember the 'discussion' of school discounts
> about a year ago  :-) ?

   Although  the college population is perhaps not the most lucrative
   segment, they are the most enthusiastic customer.   Can you think
   of the publicity the Amiga will get if it is sold through college
   bookstores; many will buy because the bookstore "endorse" it.
   Commodore may make less money when selling to the poor college
   students, but the payoff is the huge user base it will build up quickly.
   Furthermore, when the A3000 A5000 are available, the then college
   students will have the money, knowledge, and the motivation to buy it.

   Right here at my school they are selling the Mac+ for $1300 and
   the MacSE for $1700-$1800. Given the fact that they are relatively
   inexpensive , the perceived value of the huge discount, and available
   right at the bookstore, they are selling well.

--
David Lo   (415)939-2400                                          /\  o
Varian Instruments, 2700 Mitchell Drive, Walnut Creek, CA 94598     \/

In article <1601@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> ralph@ATRP.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Amiga-Man) writes:

> Here at MIT I've also been trying to get Commodore to be involved in
> selling Amigae at the school computer store.
>
> I've posted this since I *know* there are lots of schools on the
> net who are interested. Remember the 'discussion' of school discounts
> about a year ago  :-) ?

Believe it or not, there is an official Commodore educational discount.
The discount applies to equipment bought from a dealer by an educational
institution.  Contact your dealer for detailed information.

By the way, the actual discount percentage may not seem that great compared
to similar IBM or Apple plans, but remember that Commodore does not enjoy
the same kind of high markups (dealer margins) to "give away" as might
those other companies.

--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {ihnp4|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!grr
but no way officially representing	arpa: out to lunch...