[comp.sys.amiga] De-Interlacers

oconnor@sunray.UUCP (10/28/87)

A Japanese company ( NEC? ) has produced a 263 by 963 memory chip
specifically for deinterlacing. They plan to put it in some of their
high-end consumer televisions, which will take NTSC-format input and
display it as 525-line frames displayed 60 times a second. This
is from a recent Electronics magazie report. So there's the answer :
get this circuit and put it in RGB monitors. Wahla. No flicker when
in interlaced high-res mode.

Sorry, I don't remember any more. But keep an eye out for these.
If you want more info, find some recent Electronics to scan.

--
	Dennis O'Connor 	oconnor@sungoddess.steinmetz.UUCP ??
				ARPA: OCONNORDM@ge-crd.arpa

rokicki@rocky.STANFORD.EDU (Tomas Rokicki) (10/30/87)

> get this circuit and put it in RGB monitors. Wahla. No flicker when
						^^^
Took me a while to figure this out.  This belongs is rec.humor.funny.
I think he means `voila'.  Or has Fred Flinstone got net access?

:-)  tom

king@dciem.UUCP (Stephen King) (11/02/87)

In article <7718@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP> oconnor@sunray.UUCP (Dennis Oconnor) writes:
>A Japanese company ( NEC? ) has produced a 263 by 963 memory chip
>specifically for deinterlacing. They plan to put it in some of their

	I let my subscription to Electronics lapse, so missed the
announcement you are referring to. If you could remember which issue, or
if anyone could give a part number for this device, I would be grateful...sjk

--
 * Defence & Civil Institute *		...!utzoo!dciem!king
 * of Environmental Medicine *		Stephen J King

ralph@lzfme.UUCP (R.BRANDI) (11/08/87)

In article <7718@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP>, oconnor@sunray.steinmetz (Dennis Oconnor) writes:
> A Japanese company ( NEC? ) has produced a 263 by 963 memory chip
> specifically for deinterlacing. They plan to put it in some of their
> high-end consumer televisions, which will take NTSC-format input and
> display it as 525-line frames displayed 60 times a second. This

This has already been done.  I recall almost a year ago seeing ads
from Toshiba (of Soviet subs fame) talking about the first REAL use
of digital circuitry in TVs, to do something other than put another
picture in the corner or posterize your picture.  It was only
available in a 26 inch model, as I recall.  If Toshiba can do it, I
would expect to see a lot of other manufacturers incorporating such
a beast in the next year or so....

> --
> 	Dennis O'Connor 	oconnor@sungoddess.steinmetz.UUCP ??
> 				ARPA: OCONNORDM@ge-crd.arpa
>         "If I have an "s" in my name, am I a PHIL-OSS-IF-FER?"

    ====      | Disclaimer: Just `cuz I work on the Death Star,
 ==OOO=====   | that doesn't mean I speak for Darth Vader...
=OOOOOOO====  | Ralph Brandi, {ihnp4,mhuxt}!homxb!mtuxo!lzfme!ralph
=OOOOOOO====  | Kopykat (k) 1987, R.A.Brandi
 ==OOO=====   | All Rights Reserved, All Jams Preserved,
    ====      | All Nasty Comments Soundly Deserved...

"It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine"

In article <129@lzfme.UUCP> ralph@lzfme.UUCP (R.BRANDI) writes:
>In article <7718@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP>, oconnor@sunray.steinmetz (Dennis Oconnor) writes:
>> A Japanese company ( NEC? ) has produced a 263 by 963 memory chip
>> specifically for deinterlacing. They plan to put it in some of their
>> high-end consumer televisions, which will take NTSC-format input and
>> display it as 525-line frames displayed 60 times a second. This
>
>This has already been done.  I recall almost a year ago seeing ads
>from Toshiba (of Soviet subs fame) talking about the first REAL use
>of digital circuitry in TVs, to do something other than put another
>picture in the corner or posterize your picture.  It was only
>available in a 26 inch model, as I recall.  If Toshiba can do it, I
>would expect to see a lot of other manufacturers incorporating such
>a beast in the next year or so....

Don't hold your breath. When I saw the ad for the Toshiba (about 2 years
ago) I called Toshiba. What I wanted to ask was basically will this thing
act like an RGB monitor, and de-interlace in the monitor. It took me almost
a week, and I must have taslked to every Toshiba employee in the U.S.

The conclusions: No, sir, it takes digital not analog RGB (ARRRRRG !!
so close, but yet so far) and it deinterlaces by interpolating lines.

Oh well.

I'd like to see a Sony KV1311 equiv. that deinterlaces in the monitor.

--
Richard J. Sexton
INTERNET:     richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

"It's too dark to put the keys in my ignition..."

phil@titan.rice.edu (William LeFebvre) (11/13/87)

In article <2254@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>I'd like to see a Sony KV1311 equiv. that deinterlaces in the monitor.

I'd like to see a Sony KV1311 period!  Rumor has it that they aren't being
made anymore.  They're making way for the "new" line.  Why discontinue a
product before the replacement is even ready yet?  I figured I could
splurge and take the money I was going to spend on a 1080 and put it
towards a good monitor, rather than just waiting to upgrade later (and
thus wasting about $300).  But when the 2000 became available, I couldn't
find ANY analog RGB monitors (except Magnavox, and I understand that they
aren't much better than the 1080).   Grrrrrrr.......

			William LeFebvre
			Department of Computer Science
			Rice University
			<phil@Rice.edu>

In article <453@ra.rice.edu> phil@Rice.edu (William LeFebvre) writes:
>In article <2254@gryphon.CTS.COM> I previously wrote:
>>I'd like to see a Sony KV1311 equiv. that deinterlaces in the monitor.
>
>I'd like to see a Sony KV1311 period!  Rumor has it that they aren't being
>made anymore.  They're making way for the "new" line.  Why discontinue a
>product before the replacement is even ready yet?

Yes, apparantly KV1311's have been discontinued. The replacement is the
same, but doesnt have the composite video in and NTSC in - although
*again - a rumor* has it that the circuitry is there, just the connectors
arn't.

I still see ads for them from time to time in the L.A. papers. A call
to Sony may provide soime leads...