[comp.sys.amiga] Many subjects...

ugpete@cs.buffalo.EDU (Peter Theobald) (11/11/87)

<<<<<<munch munch munch munch>>>>>>>

I have a lot of questions for this letter:

1)	Does anyone know where I can get a copy of FixObj or Chop or
	any of the programs that will fix an executable file to the
	right file size. I have a disk full of executables that I
	downloaded and I can't run any of them.

2)	When I run two programs (specifically VT100 and DirMaster) that
	each open their own screens, once I look at VT100, I can't get
	back to the DirMaster screen! The VT100 window takes up the full
	screen and cannot be re-sized, so I cannot reach the Front/Back
	gadgets. The A-N A-M will only switch me from Workbench to VT100.
		In general, is there any way to flip through the layers
	of screens. It seems impossible to me that this hasn't been thought
	of.

3)	I just got a new batch of disks and have the following problem:
	The write protect tab on these disks have an incredibly small
	design on them, (a small circle/notch on the edge) but apparently
	it is just big enough and the right position to fool my write protect
	sensor (a plastic needle) into thinking the tab isn't there. I
	tried the disks on other Amigas, and mine is the only one with this
	problem. So with the tab clicked 'up' my disks are correctly write-
	protected. With the tab clicked 'down' my disks are incorrectly
	still write protected. With the tab sitting in between both states
	my disks are write-able.
		Is there any easy way to fix this? I am pretty sure the
	problem is the positioning of my write-protect detector. Is there
	a positioning adjustment??

4)	My favorite editor is EDT from the VMS operating system. Does
	anyone know of one for the Amiga? I don't like vi's states (insert/
	edit) and Emacs has too many control meta whatever characters.
	Amiga ED is just loopy (no, 'loopy' doesnt mean anything).

5)	Is there a way to read MS-Dos 3 1/2" disks on a standard Amiga
	drive? Maybe with the PCtools, or Dos-to-Dos, Disk-to-disk etc...
	These are the disks used on a Data General, or IBM convertable.
	I don't care if I can run anything from MSDOS, I just want to
	transfer data files. (A NULL modem is impractical for my purposes)

6)	Last, and least.....
	Why don't more programs support the clipboard? I think it is a
	good idea, and it works well on the Mac. With most Amy programs
	you have to write a file to RAM: to read it back with another
	program.
		Just curious....

	-Pete

			Peter Theobald

SUNY/Buffalo Computer Science
csnet:	ugpete@buffalo.CSNET
uucp:	..!{nike|watmath,alegra,decvax}!sunybcs!ugpete
BITNET:	ugpete@sunybcs.BITNET

lachac@topaz.rutgers.edu (Gerard Lachac) (11/12/87)

In article <6463@sunybcs.UUCP> ugpete@sunybcs.UUCP (Peter Theobald) writes:

>2)	When I run two programs (specifically VT100 and DirMaster) that
>	each open their own screens, once I look at VT100, I can't get
>	back to the DirMaster screen! The VT100 window takes up the full
>	screen and cannot be re-sized, so I cannot reach the Front/Back
>	gadgets. The A-N A-M will only switch me from Workbench to VT100.

This is a lot easier then it sounds.  Use the A-N A-M to get to the
Workbench screen, and then use the Workbench's forward and back gadgets to
get to the Dirmaster screen.

>5)	Is there a way to read MS-Dos 3 1/2" disks on a standard Amiga
>	drive? Maybe with the PCtools, or Dos-to-Dos, Disk-to-disk etc...
>	These are the disks used on a Data General, or IBM convertable.
>	I don't care if I can run anything from MSDOS, I just want to
>	transfer data files. (A NULL modem is impractical for my purposes)

There is a utility for doing just this on the Extras disk that came with
your computer... (if you got 1.2)

--
		"Truth is false and logic lost..."
					- Neil Peart

DISPATCH@NCSUVM.BITNET (11/12/87)

Concerning your 3 1/2 inch disk with the write protect tab that
the amiga doesn't recognise: put a piece of tape over the slot.
Hal

schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) (11/12/87)

In article <6463@sunybcs.UUCP> ugpete@sunybcs.UUCP (Peter Theobald) writes:
><<<<<<munch munch munch munch>>>>>>>
>
>I have a lot of questions for this letter:
>
>1)	Does anyone know where I can get a copy of FixObj or Chop or
>	any of the programs that will fix an executable file to the
>	right file size. I have a disk full of executables that I
>	downloaded and I can't run any of them.

  User Groups, BBS's and the commercial services are a good place to start.
  These are kinda old programs and I don't think most people use them since
  ARC has arrived on the AMIGA scene.

>2)	When I run two programs (specifically VT100 and DirMaster) that
>	each open their own screens, once I look at VT100, I can't get
>	back to the DirMaster screen! The VT100 window takes up the full
>	screen and cannot be re-sized, so I cannot reach the Front/Back
>	gadgets. The A-N A-M will only switch me from Workbench to VT100.
>		In general, is there any way to flip through the layers
>	of screens. It seems impossible to me that this hasn't been thought
>	of.

  Im using VT100 V2.6 right now and if I grab the title bar, I can pull it
  down to reveal the front/back gadgets.

>5)	Is there a way to read MS-Dos 3 1/2" disks on a standard Amiga
>	drive? Maybe with the PCtools, or Dos-to-Dos, Disk-to-disk etc...
>	These are the disks used on a Data General, or IBM convertable.
>	I don't care if I can run anything from MSDOS, I just want to
>	transfer data files. (A NULL modem is impractical for my purposes)

  Dos-2-Dos will allow you to read and write from MS-DOS 3.5" disks (Also
  Atari ST disks!)

--
   Dan Schein		 uucp: {ihnp4|allegra|burdvax|rutgers}!cbmvax!schein
   Commodore AMIGA			Bix: dschein	     Plink: Dan*CATS

In article <16427@topaz.rutgers.edu> lachac@topaz.rutgers.edu (Gerard Lachac) writes:
>In article <6463@sunybcs.UUCP> ugpete@sunybcs.UUCP (Peter Theobald) writes:
>
>>5)	Is there a way to read MS-Dos 3 1/2" disks on a standard Amiga
>>	drive? Maybe with the PCtools, or Dos-to-Dos, Disk-to-disk etc...
>>	These are the disks used on a Data General, or IBM convertable.
>>	I don't care if I can run anything from MSDOS, I just want to
>>	transfer data files. (A NULL modem is impractical for my purposes)
>
>There is a utility for doing just this on the Extras disk that came with
>your computer... (if you got 1.2)

   The PCutil's that come with 1.2 *ONLY* work with 5.25" MS-DOS disks.
   (And a 5.25" drive of course :-)
--

jck@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu (Chuck Kesler) (11/13/87)

In article <16427@topaz.rutgers.edu> lachac@topaz.rutgers.edu (Gerard Lachac) writes:
>In article <6463@sunybcs.UUCP> ugpete@sunybcs.UUCP (Peter Theobald) writes:
>
>>2)	When I run two programs (specifically VT100 and DirMaster) that
>>	each open their own screens, once I look at VT100, I can't get
>>	back to the DirMaster screen! The VT100 window takes up the full
>>	screen and cannot be re-sized, so I cannot reach the Front/Back
>>	gadgets. The A-N A-M will only switch me from Workbench to VT100.
>
>This is a lot easier then it sounds.  Use the A-N A-M to get to the
>Workbench screen, and then use the Workbench's forward and back gadgets to
>get to the Dirmaster screen.

Even easier method:  pull the Vt100 window down slightly, so that you just
barely expose the front/back gadgets on the Vt100 *screen*.  By clicking
the very top part of these gadgets, you can pop back to the workbench, and go
wherever else you want to go from there.

-chuck      jck@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu  -or-  chuck@ncsuvm.BITNET
*
*
*
*  Yes Virginia, there is a line eater!
*
*
*

hah@mipon3.intel.com (Hans Hansen) (11/13/87)

In article <6463@sunybcs.UUCP> ugpete@sunybcs.UUCP (Peter Theobald) writes:
$
$I have a lot of questions for this letter:
$
$1)	Does anyone know where I can get a copy of FixObj or Chop or
$	any of the programs that will fix an executable file to the
$	right file size. I have a disk full of executables that I
$	downloaded and I can't run any of them.
$
FIxObj can be found on Fish 38

$2)	When I run two programs (specifically VT100 and DirMaster) that
$	each open their own screens, once I look at VT100, I can't get
$	back to the DirMaster screen! The VT100 window takes up the full
$	screen and cannot be re-sized, so I cannot reach the Front/Back
$	gadgets. The A-N A-M will only switch me from Workbench to VT100.
$		In general, is there any way to flip through the layers
$	of screens. It seems impossible to me that this hasn't been thought
$	of.
Pull the VT100 window down right after it pops on the screen.  it will move
down far enough to get to the screen pop gadgets.
$
$3)	I just got a new batch of disks and have the following problem:
$	The write protect tab on these disks have an incredibly small
$	design on them, (a small circle/notch on the edge) but apparently
$	it is just big enough and the right position to fool my write protect
$	sensor (a plastic needle) into thinking the tab isn't there. I
$	tried the disks on other Amigas, and mine is the only one with this
$	problem. So with the tab clicked 'up' my disks are correctly write-
$	protected. With the tab clicked 'down' my disks are incorrectly
$	still write protected. With the tab sitting in between both states
$	my disks are write-able.
$		Is there any easy way to fix this? I am pretty sure the
$	problem is the positioning of my write-protect detector. Is there
$	a positioning adjustment??
Try a little Epoxy in the design.  Return the disks and buy ones without
the little design.
$
$4)	My favorite editor is EDT from the VMS operating system. Does
$	anyone know of one for the Amiga? I don't like vi's states (insert/
$	edit) and Emacs has too many control meta whatever characters.
$	Amiga ED is just loopy (no, 'loopy' doesnt mean anything).
I believe someone had a set of EMACS macros that will emulate the EDT
editor.
$
$			Peter Theobald

Hans	hah@inteloa.intel.com

john13@garfield.UUCP (11/13/87)

--
lachac@topaz.rutgers.edu (Gerard Lachac) writes:

>ugpete@sunybcs.UUCP (Peter Theobald) writes:
>
>>When I run two programs (specifically VT100 and DirMaster) that
>>each open their own screens, once I look at VT100, I can't get
>>back to the DirMaster screen!
>
>Use the A-N A-M to get to the
>Workbench screen, and then use the Workbench's forward and back gadgets to
>get to the Dirmaster screen.

It's actually very easy to get trapped into a situation with a screen
inaccessible. Solutions are:

 - WKeys, posted here, very useful (I always run it)
 - FastFonts from MicroSmiths
 - Grabbit from Discovery Software (commercial)
 - write your own short screen-flipper
 - move down the offending window/screen by 1 pixel to let you at the gadgets,
   again you write your own or use "expose" from a mid-60ish(?) Fish disk

(WKeys, FastFonts and Grabbit do a lot more)

Except that all versions, including hacked-up, of VT100 I know of do let you
move the window down.

John
--
"She's sort of a 'pit baby', with interlocking jaws. We feed her on chicken
parts."

higgin@cbmvax.UUCP (Paul Higginbottom SALES) (11/13/87)

in article <6463@sunybcs.UUCP>, ugpete@cs.buffalo.EDU (Peter Theobald) says:
> I have a lot of questions for this letter:

That's what we're here for.

> 1)	Does anyone know where I can get a copy of FixObj or Chop or
> 	any of the programs that will fix an executable file to the
> 	right file size. I have a disk full of executables that I
> 	downloaded and I can't run any of them.

Check fish disks, or local user group.

> 2)	When I run two programs (specifically VT100 and DirMaster) that
> 	each open their own screens, once I look at VT100, I can't get
> 	back to the DirMaster screen! The VT100 window takes up the full
> 	screen and cannot be re-sized, so I cannot reach the Front/Back
> 	gadgets. The A-N A-M will only switch me from Workbench to VT100.

VT100 can be depth arranged, it's just a little odd.  The VT100 window
cannot be sized, but it can be moved up and down a little, so just move it
to its lowest position, revealing the screen title bar, and then push
the VT100 screen to back.

> 		In general, is there any way to flip through the layers
> 	of screens. It seems impossible to me that this hasn't been thought
> 	of.

No, and I'd like to see it too.

> 4)	My favorite editor is EDT from the VMS operating system. Does
> 	anyone know of one for the Amiga? I don't like vi's states (insert/
> 	edit) and Emacs has too many control meta whatever characters.
> 	Amiga ED is just loopy (no, 'loopy' doesnt mean anything).

Have not seen an EDT lookalike on Amiga.  I used to use a microemacs
port - I now use z (vi) from Manx for everything since I use vi on
our VAX, and it's confusing switching between editors.  Yes, modes are
sometimes a pain, but using vi is so automatic for me it doesn't matter.
Plus, the symmetry and flexibility of vi commands makes it worth it.
But, PLEASE, no editor wars - they all have pros and cons.

> 5)	Is there a way to read MS-Dos 3 1/2" disks on a standard Amiga
> 	drive? Maybe with the PCtools, or Dos-to-Dos, Disk-to-disk etc...
> 	These are the disks used on a Data General, or IBM convertable.
> 	I don't care if I can run anything from MSDOS, I just want to
> 	transfer data files. (A NULL modem is impractical for my purposes)

Yes, use PCCopy on the Extras disk in the PCTools drawer.

> 6)	Last, and least.....
> 	Why don't more programs support the clipboard? I think it is a
> 	good idea, and it works well on the Mac. With most Amy programs
> 	you have to write a file to RAM: to read it back with another
> 	program.
> 		Just curious....

Good question - software developers generally just don't seem to use it.

> 	-Pete

		Paul.

phil@titan.rice.edu (William LeFebvre) (11/13/87)

In article <6463@sunybcs.UUCP> ugpete@sunybcs.UUCP (Peter Theobald) writes:
>2)	When I run two programs (specifically VT100 and DirMaster) that
>	each open their own screens, once I look at VT100, I can't get
>	back to the DirMaster screen! The VT100 window takes up the full
>	screen and cannot be re-sized, so I cannot reach the Front/Back
>	gadgets. The A-N A-M will only switch me from Workbench to VT100.

This is primarily a problem with VT100 and the fact that it opens a window
that consumes the whole screen.  But it doesn't quite consume the WHOLE
screen.  This is what works for me:  move the mouse to the top middle of
the window, hold down the left mouse button and move the WINDOW down as
far as it will go.  There should be enough room to scoot it down about one
line (maybe only 3/4 of a line).  This should be enough to expose the
screen's title bar and the screen's front and back gadgets.  Now you can
use the back gadget to get to other screens.  You can also now pull down
that screen to get to other screens.  I may have something peculiar about
my environment that makes this possible---I'm not sure.  But it's worth a
try!  Yes, my VT100 window has 24 lines in it.

			William LeFebvre
			Department of Computer Science
			Rice Universityteroes an2-2UUCP> <1

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (11/14/87)

In article <16427@topaz.rutgers.edu>, lachac@topaz.rutgers.edu (Gerard Lachac) writes:
> In article <6463@sunybcs.UUCP> ugpete@sunybcs.UUCP (Peter Theobald) writes:
>
> >2)	When I run two programs (specifically VT100 and DirMaster) that
> >	each open their own screens, once I look at VT100, I can't get
> >	back to the DirMaster screen! The VT100 window takes up the full

> This is a lot easier then it sounds.  Use the A-N A-M to get to the
> Workbench screen, and then use the Workbench's forward and back gadgets to
> get to the Dirmaster screen.

Uhhh... I don't think that works.  A-N brings the Workbench screen to
the front, but is doesn't change the order of the other screens, i.e.
the VT100 screen will _still_ be in front of the DirMaster screen.
Actually, when I use VT100 v2.7, the window is about ten pixels smaller
than the screen, so I can move it down.  I don't know if this is because
of my vt100.init file, or because I use morerows, or if it's normal.  If
you still can't do it, try wkeys.  It has a screen-to-back hotkey.

> >5)	Is there a way to read MS-Dos 3 1/2" disks on a standard Amiga
> >	drive? Maybe with the PCtools, or Dos-to-Dos, Disk-to-disk etc...
> There is a utility for doing just this on the Extras disk that came with
> your computer... (if you got 1.2)

Uhh... That doesn't work either.  PCCopy on the extras disk only copies
from 5.25" disks.  At least the version I have.  Dos-to-Dos does 3.5" or
5.25" disks.  I don't know how reliable it is, though.  It frequently
won't read my disks, so I just use PCCopy.

Eric Kennedy

  Boring down here, isn't it?  I'm working on a .signature...

In article <6463@sunybcs.UUCP> ugpete@sunybcs.UUCP (Peter Theobald) writes:

> 4)	My favorite editor is EDT from the VMS operating system. Does
> 	anyone know of one for the Amiga? I don't like vi's states (insert/
> 	edit) and Emacs has too many control meta whatever characters.
> 	Amiga ED is just loopy (no, 'loopy' doesnt mean anything).

Welllll, we have a guy here who a version of EDT for the C128, but I
haven't been able to talk him into slipping it over onto the Amiga.
Something to do with the 68000 not running 6502 assembly code without
a bunch of extra work on his part 8-(

If anyone wants to wants to make some interesting pleas or offers, I
suspect he'll notice them here...

--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {ihnp4|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!grr
but no way officially representing	arpa: out to lunch...

hrlaser@pnet02.cts.com (Harv Laser) (11/16/87)

higgin@cbmvax.UUCP (Paul Higginbottom SALES) writes:
>in article <6463@sunybcs.UUCP>, ugpete@cs.buffalo.EDU (Peter Theobald) says:
>> I have a lot of questions for this letter:
>

>> 		In general, is there any way to flip through the layers
>> 	of screens. It seems impossible to me that this hasn't been thought
>> 	of.
>
>No, and I'd like to see it too.
>

>> 	-Pete
>
>		Paul.

"In General" no way. "In Specific" yes way. Try GRABBiT from Discovery
Software (the guys who make Marauder). It has a screen flipping hot-key
feature that'll page through every current screen on your Amiga.  [I have
no involvement whatsoever with Discovery but they make some neat
products with unusual/handy features]

Harv Laser - Chairman (sysop) The AmigaZone
PeopleLink: CBM*HARV
UUCP: {ihnp4!crash, hplabs!hp-sdd!crash}!gryphon!pnet02!hrlaser
INET: hrlaser@pnet02.CTS.COM