[comp.sys.amiga] Internally mounted floppy on 2000?

cunniff@hpfclq.HP.COM (Ross Cunniff) (11/12/87)

I am considering trading in my 1000 for a 2000 (no flames, please;  it
seems cheaper in the long run, since I haven't bought any expansion
products for my 1000 yet, and expansion products for the 2000 are likely
to be less expensive and more reliable).

My question is this:  is it possible to rip the 1010 disk drive out of
its external case, and plug it in inside the 2000's case?  If so,
what mounting hardware is required, and where can I get it?  If not,
no big deal, I'll still probably get the 2000.

As a somewhat related question to 1000->2000 trade in, does anybody
have a list of naughty software which doesn't work on the 2000 (this
may include programs which are incompatible with fast memory)?

					Ross Cunniff
					...{hplabs,ucbvax}!hpda!cunniff
					cunniff%hpda@hplabs.ARPA
					cunniff%hpda@hplabs.HP.COM

In article <4230007@hpfclq.HP.COM> cunniff@hpfclq.HP.COM (Ross Cunniff) writes:

> My question is this:  is it possible to rip the 1010 disk drive out of
> its external case, and plug it in inside the 2000's case?  If so,
> what mounting hardware is required, and where can I get it?  If not,
> no big deal, I'll still probably get the 2000.

	Maybe.  Most of the A1010 drives are higher profile drives, while
	the A2000 is set up for low-profile drives.  In any case, the A1010
	uses an integral bezel, while the A2000 uses the normal drive attached
	bezel.  Electrically you can do it, but it's difficult to do a
	cosmetic job.  Remember than you *can* plug the A1010 external drive
	into the A2000 as an external expansion drive.

--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {ihnp4|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!grr
but no way officially representing	arpa: out to lunch...

bryce@hoser.berkeley.edu (Bryce Nesbitt) (11/14/87)

In article <4230007@hpfclq.HP.COM> cunniff@hpfclq.HP.COM (Ross Cunniff) writes:

>My question is this:  is it possible to rip the 1010 disk drive out of
>its external case, and plug it in inside the 2000's case?  If so,
>what mounting hardware is required, and where can I get it?

Yes and no.

Electrically: Yes.  All you need to do is plug the cable in the proper
way and set the drive jumper on the motherboard.  WARNING: life is
not complex enough, so drive manufacturer have taken it upon themselves
to complicate it.  Some drive connectors are inverted from others.
If you don't know how to find pin 1, don't do it.

Mechanically: The mouting hardware is not a problem.  The problem will
be how tall the drive is and how the front panel/button sticks out.
On some units you may get acceptable results, other units just won't
work very well.  Try and see.

>As a somewhat related question to 1000->2000 trade in, does anybody
>have a list of naughty software which doesn't work on the 2000 (this
>may include programs which are incompatible with fast memory)?

As far as I know there is *no* software that works on an A1000 with
V1.2 Kickstart and extra memory++ that will not work on an A2000.

Look out for anything from Electronic Arts that is old, and try before
you buy.  Just what was minidos anyway?

Almost all of your "extra memory" problems, if you have any, can be
fixed by "noFASTmem".  (This comes with the machine).  Other good
tools to help brain-dead old software are FixHunk and StealMemBoot.

It's not too much of a problem, really.

++ Something *could* complain about $C00000 memory and it's good
habit of freeing up some chip memory, but I doubt it.

|\ /|  . Ack! (NAK, SOH, EOT)
{o O} . bryce@hoser.berkeley.EDU -or- ucbvax!hoser!bryce
 (")

schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) (11/16/87)

In article <2767@cbmvax.UUCP> grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
>In article <4230007@hpfclq.HP.COM> cunniff@hpfclq.HP.COM (Ross Cunniff) writes:
>>
>> My question is this:  is it possible to rip the 1010 disk drive out of
>> its external case, and plug it in inside the 2000's case?  If so,
>> what mounting hardware is required, and where can I get it?  If not,
>> no big deal, I'll still probably get the 2000.
>
>	Maybe.  Most of the A1010 drives are higher profile drives, while
>	the A2000 is set up for low-profile drives.  In any case, the A1010
>	uses an integral bezel, while the A2000 uses the normal drive attached
>	bezel.  Electrically you can do it, but it's difficult to do a
>	cosmetic job.  Remember than you *can* plug the A1010 external drive
>	into the A2000 as an external expansion drive.

   A option to consider is sell the 1010 and buy a 1020! You should be able
   to get enough for your 1010 to break even on the deal. Then you have the
   bezel, screws, standoff's, and jumper you otherwise will have to dig up.

--
   Dan Schein		 uucp: {ihnp4|allegra|burdvax|rutgers}!cbmvax!schein
   Commodore AMIGA			Bix: dschein	     Plink: Dan*CATS

NETOPRHM@NCSUVM.BITNET (Hal Meeks) (11/16/87)

The 2000 has a connector on the back for an external drive. It wouldn't
be the prettiest solution, but it would work. Anyone know if other
3 1/2 drives (Toshiba pc drives) can be used internally as DF1:  ?
Hal

higgin@cbmvax.UUCP (Paul Higginbottom SALES) (11/16/87)

in article <2792@cbmvax.UUCP>, schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) says:
>>In article <4230007@hpfclq.HP.COM> cunniff@hpfclq.HP.COM (Ross Cunniff) writes:
>>> My question is this:  is it possible to rip the 1010 disk drive out of
>>> its external case, and plug it in inside the 2000's case?  If so,
>>> what mounting hardware is required, and where can I get it?  If not,
>>> no big deal, I'll still probably get the 2000.
>
>    A option to consider is sell the 1010 and buy a 1020! You should be able
>    to get enough for your 1010 to break even on the deal. Then you have the
>    bezel, screws, standoff's, and jumper you otherwise will have to dig up.
> --
>    Dan Schein		 uucp: {ihnp4|allegra|burdvax|rutgers}!cbmvax!schein

Er, I think Dan means an A2010, not a 1020 which is an external 5.25"
drive.

	Regards,
		Paul.

In article <2798@cbmvax.UUCP> higgin@cbmvax.UUCP (Paul Higginbottom SALES) writes:
>>    A option to consider is sell the 1010 and buy a 1020! You should be able
>
>Er, I think Dan means an A2010, not a 1020 which is an external 5.25"
>drive.
>
>	Regards,
>		Paul.

  Opps! I did mean 2010, unless you want to put it in the 5.25" slot and
  use it as df1: - hmmmm seems like were on to something here...