[comp.sys.amiga] Another wish for 1.3

On the Macintosh you can drag a window off the screen. To be precise, you can
drag it down and to the left or right until at least part of the window is
no longer on the screen.

Is there any good (i.e. something other than "we didn't think of it, and we
don't want to") reason this cannot be implemented in a future version of
Intuition? It shouldn't require much work, unless the whole windowing setup
is more twisted than I thought. After all as far as the window is concerned
it should be just like dragging it down behind a couple of other windows.

This would significantly improve the usability of the workbench, as all of a
sudden you wouldn't have to worry about programs like Preferences and IconEd
that open up a non-sizable 640x200 window on the workbench. It would also
give you a way to take care of the infamous SizeWindow problem:

 "This routine does no error-checking.  If your  delta  values specify
 some far corner of the universe, Intuition will attempt to size your
 window to that far corner. Because of the distortions in the space -
 time continuum that can result from this, as  predicted by special relativity
 the result is generally not desirable." (RKM II A-165 SizeWindow)

It'd improve MoveWindow as well.
--
-- Peter da Silva  `-_-'  ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter
-- Disclaimer: These U aren't mere opinions... these are *values*.

bakken@tahoma.ARPA (Dave Bakken) (11/12/87)

How about having a gadget on a window that you could click and the window
would shrink to a small icon, and if the icon were clicked it would
revert to its original state.  This could be used even with windows that
do not allow resizing.

BTW, any rumors/facts when 1.3 might be released?  Is it in alpha or beta
yet?

--
Dave Bakken
Boeing Commercial Airplane Company

spencer@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Randy Spencer) (11/14/87)

In article <1003@sugar.UUCP> peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
>On the Macintosh you can drag a window off the screen. To be precise, you can
>drag it down and to the left or right until at least part of the window is
>no longer on the screen.
>
>Is there any good (i.e. something other than "we didn't think of it, and we
>don't want to") reason this cannot be implemented in a future version of
>Intuition?

This would be useful if we are  ever going to get High Resolution monitors
that are additions to the Amiga monitor.  I can't actually see getting
rid of the Amiga Monitor.  Not that there isn't a way to get rid of it
like there isn't on the Mac, it's just that I want to have windows and
screens open on the Amiga monitor, and if they are compatible I can
drag them onto the higher resolution monitor.  I just don't see  a way
to support HAM mode in a 1K x 1K monochrome monitor.  So far all the
solutions that we have seen have been in place of the Amiga monitor,
but that seems too much like the Atari (or Arati for you Hastings fans).

>-- Peter da Silva  `-_-'  ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter
Randy Spencer      P.O. Box 4542   Berkeley  CA  94704        (415)284-4740
                         I N F I N I T Y                 BBS: (415)283-5469
Now working for          |||||||||||::::... . .                    BUD-LINX
But in no way            |||||||||||||||::::.. .. .
Officially representing  ||||||||||||:::::... ..    ....ucbvax!mica!spencer
                         s o f t w a r e          spencer@mica.berkeley.edu

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (11/17/87)

Here's another item for a 1.3 wishlist.  I would like to be able to set
a tool's priority from the WorkBench, like you can set its stack.  This
would be useful to set Sculpt-3d to -1, a term program to +1, etc.  Any
thoughts on this?

While we're at it, how about being able to type
'run foo STACK 1000 PRI 5'
from cli? this would avoid
changetaskpri 5
stack 1000
run foo
stack 4000
changetaskpri 0

(yes, I've renamed changetaskpri to task!)

Eric Kennedy