[comp.sys.amiga] Getting Byte'n and more BIX'en for us AMIGAns

hansb@ariel.unm.edu (Hans Bechtel) (11/12/87)

Whatever happened to the BYTE coverage of Amiga BIX articles?

I haven't seen it for 3 months!

Ouch!!!

Hans Bechtel

kent@xanth.UUCP (Kent Paul Dolan) (11/14/87)

In article <1799@charon.unm.edu> hansb@ariel.UUCP (Hans Bechtel) writes:
>Whatever happened to the BYTE coverage of Amiga BIX articles?
>I haven't seen it for 3 months!
>Ouch!!!

[What a spectacular chance to flame BYTE!  Can't resist.]

The direct excuse was that they had to trim the size of the non-ad parts of the
magazine, due to loss of ad revenues.

(Hyperglogic napalm squirt gun mode on)

In case no one has pointed it out to you, Byte has become almost
exclusively the domain of PC/clone articles.  The example software is
mostly MS-DOS examples, the articles are all about neat tricks for
your clone, even the benchmarks are heavily baised toward Intel goods,
the latest rumor goes.

Worst of all, they ran a reader survey, and found lots of PC/clone
owners in their audience, and so have become even more editorially
biased toward the PC/cloniverse, presuming, I guess, that is what
their readers want to see.

Most spectacular is a thirteenth issue each year, devoted to kissing
IBM's feet.  Total waste of my subscription dollar, the issue goes
right in the trash.

Now if you were one of the advertisers of Amiga products, or Radio
Shack products, or whatever, wouldn't you take the hint you really
aren't appreciated, and start looking elsewhere for a place for your
ads?  Apparently lots of folks have.

So, to worsen this feedback loop, they cut out more non-IBM material.

It is going to be really tough justifying renewing my Byte
subscription when the time comes.  I've been with them for six years,
and over that time they have gone from concentrating on the leading
edge of home computing to concentrating on the market numbers.  This
is really a shame, because no one's come along to take their place,
that I can see.  A similar sad fate overtook Dr. Dobbs, which cleaned
up its act to the point that it's no fun to read any more.

(Last little dribble squirted out, flame dies.)

Kent, the man from xanth.

jdow@gryphon.CTS.COM (Joanne Dow) (11/16/87)

In article <1799@charon.unm.edu> hansb@ariel.UUCP (Hans Bechtel) writes:

>Whatever happened to the BYTE coverage of Amiga BIX articles?
>
>I haven't seen it for 3 months!
>
>Ouch!!!
>

>Hans Bechtel

Well, Hans, Charlie Heath and I are still preparing excerpts of BIX
postings from the Amiga conference and submitting them nominally the
15th of the month. (Today's the fifteenth for me if congress can do
similar clock tricks... <^_-> )

We BOTH have liberally flamed about BoB no longer being in BYTE. Does no
good. TPTB at BYTE are planning on a quarterly(?) (or less frequently) LARGE
BoB supplement to BYTE. THere will be several such which are machine specific.
There's supposed to be an Amiga one, an IBM one, a Mac one, ....

IMHO that is a bad choice on their part. However THEIR "TPTB" types have
decreed that there will be a rigid ratio between advertisement and editorial
pages. (This is a fixed ratio, not changing as some people think - I am told...)
This dictated its removal and this new setup.

ANyway - roughly speaking that is what has happened and some suggestion re
the plans for BoB.       "poof"
<#_#>

--
<@_@>
	BIX:jdow

Remember - A bird in the hand often leaves a sticky deposit. Perhaps it was
better you left it in the bush with the other one.

jdow@gryphon.CTS.COM (Joanne Dow) (11/16/87)

There is a VERY simple solution to this you realize, Kent.

WOULD SOME OF YOU THOUGHTFUL AND ARTICULATE TYPES OUT THERE WRITE SOME
ARTICLES FOR SUBMISSION TO BYTE SO THEY HAVE SOMETHING TO PRINT ABOUT
SOMETHING BESIDES A FLAMING PClone?    <SHEESH Do not just sit there and
idly flame, DO SOMETHING!>

They simply cannot print what they do not have, can they?
<+_+>
--
<@_@>

scott@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) (11/17/87)

In article <3367@xanth.UUCP> kent@xanth.UUCP (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>In article <1799@charon.unm.edu> hansb@ariel.UUCP (Hans Bechtel) writes:
>>Whatever happened to the BYTE coverage of Amiga BIX articles?
>(Hyperglogic napalm squirt gun mode on)

	(reasons for reconsidering your Byte subscription)

>(Last little dribble squirted out, flame dies.)

	Hey, so whatever became of Carl Helmers??

-scott