[comp.sys.amiga] Insider ram board and klinetronics rams

rminnich@udel.UUCP (11/18/87)

Some time ago i sent out a request for an evaluation of Klinetronics
ram boards and the Insider card from Michigan Software.
I got back nothing on the Klinetronics. I got back a lot on
the Insider card. It was all very favorable.
So i told my father to get the Insider for $300.
It includes 1 Meg. ram and a clock.
Our experiences follow:
First, if you can, do the 'solder it in' job. I do not trust
E-Z-Hooks, though some of my correspondents reported good luck
with them even over a period of a year. But soldering it in is
so easy, what the heck. They also provide the 'extra ground on
the daughterboard' fix, which i may apply to my own amiga when
i get a chance.
   There were two problems:
1) We had to get a sheet metal nibbler and cut a little of df0:s
sheet metal away. About a 1/2" by 1/4" section. The board was
a tiny bit too big.
2) There was a solder bridge from ground to one of the address lines.
But the diagnostic only complained about problems when the memory
was configured at $600000, not at $200000 or $c00000. The symptom
for $c00000 was that the machine would lock up instantly as soon
as the $c00000 memory was referenced. I did not see the solder bridge
right away (my eyes going bad? i used to be good at this stuff)
so we wasted some time before my father found it.

The installation was otherwise pretty easy. The instructions were
good, not heathkit-level but quite readable. The job took 3 man-hours
or so, plus another 1 or 2 for debugging. Now he has 1.5 Mb and boy
is he happy!

   So, all in all, I and many others can recommend this card
without exception. The quality of the card is good; my solder
bridge was the only one i have heard of; the users who wrote
(one from Australia) had been using them for as long as a year
with no trouble. And of course having it auto-config is nice.
And judging from the latest JDR catalog $300 for 1 meg is a very
competitive price, esp. with the clock/calendar thrown in.
--
ron (rminnich@udel.edu)
Newsgroups: Comp.sys.amiga