[comp.sys.amiga] flight sims/games

ruslan@ecsvax.UUCP (Robin C. LaPasha) (11/14/87)

[seeing is believing]
Is there a good flight simulator or flying game out there for
the Amiga?  I read earlier reports about the first releases of
Sublogic's Flight Simulator, and decided to wait 'til some bugs
were worked out.  Are they? Is it - realistic in response and
instrument layout, non-damaging to my drives and reasonably
long-lasting (i.e. the disk doesn't die every two weeks, does it?),
reasonably priced (subjective, I know), and fun to play?

I also heard that Starglider was a lot of fun, but I REALLY don't
want a shoot-em-up game (whatsoever.  Not interested.)  In addition,
I got one of those (glossy ad-type) flyers from EA (please! No
flames! we've never used their games, only the unprotected versions
of their "useful" stuff.) and they mentioned "Chuck Yeager's AFT" or
some such, but didn't say what machine(s?) would be targeted.

Thanks - mail, please - I know this has been thrashed around before.
Robin LaPasha             ruslan@ecsvax.UUCP

jmo@ems.Ems.MN.ORG (John M. O'Shaughnessy) (11/16/87)

	SubLOGIC has updated the Flight Simulator program for the Amiga.
	It can now be mounted on a hard disk, or a ram disk and is not
	copy protected.  The program is very good at allowing practive
	instrument flight.  The controls and displays are quite good.
	Due to the lack of feel, it is difficult to be able to fly
	around VFR with any sense of control.

			I recommend the Flight Simulator highly, but not as a flashy
			game.

--
John M. O'Shaughnessy                jmo@ems.mn.org		+1 612 375 8138
EMS/McGraw-Hill -guest               ihnp4!meccts!ems!jmo

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (11/17/87)

In article <4160@ecsvax.UUCP>, ruslan@ecsvax.UUCP (Robin C. LaPasha) writes:

> [seeing is believing]
> Is there a good flight simulator or flying game out there for
> the Amiga?  I read earlier reports about the first releases of
> Sublogic's Flight Simulator, and decided to wait 'til some bugs
> were worked out.  Are they? Is it - realistic in response and
> instrument layout, non-damaging to my drives and reasonably
> long-lasting (i.e. the disk doesn't die every two weeks, does it?),
> reasonably priced (subjective, I know), and fun to play?
[...]

Sublogic's FSII has been updated.  (current version 1.1 I _think_)
It is not copy-protected in any way, it works with a 68010, and the
major bugs, such as problems with flight scenery disks, etc, have
allegedly been fixed.  As to price, I don't know what it lists for, but
I thought what I paid was reasonable.  Re: realism, I don't know, I'm
not a pilot.  I've heard it's a pretty faithful simulation.

> Robin LaPasha             ruslan@ecsvax.UUCP

Eric Kennedy

oconnor@sunray.steinmetz (Dennis Oconnor) (11/18/87)

In article <5421@cisunx.UUCP> ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) writes:
>In article <4160@ecsvax.UUCP>, ruslan@ecsvax.UUCP (Robin C. LaPasha) writes:
>>
>> [seeing is believing]
>> Is there a good flight simulator or flying game out there for
>> the Amiga?  ...Sublogic's Flight Simulator... decided to wait ...
>> realistic in response and instrument layout, non-damaging to my drives
>> ... reasonably priced (subjective, I know), and fun to play ?
>> Robin LaPasha             ruslan@ecsvax.UUCP
>
>Sublogic's FSII has been updated ... not copy-protected ... works
>with a 68010, ... major bugs ... allegedly been fixed.  As to price...
>don't know what it lists for, I thought ... was reasonable.
>Re: realism ... not a pilot.  I've heard it's a pretty faithful simulation.
>Eric Kennedy

Don't you love the GE jets on that Lear? Pretty hot, for non-military.

But don't forget some other 1.2 stuff : ANALOG JOYSTICK. I've rewired
two Apple/IBM-PC analog 'sticks, and as my friend Eofn says, "it's
like a year of experience in a box." Really nice. Only one minor
annoyance : full-scale control movement is about 1/3rd of full 'stick
movement. I'm not sure if this due to not using a real Amiga 'stick :
I know the hardware manual says use < 470K, but I'm not sure what the
Atari/IBM-PC 'sticks use ( my cheap multitester just reads "big"). It
might be some oversensitivity in the software : unfortunately, the
control-sensitivity adjustments seem to only work for the mouse! Bummer!

But it is so easy to waste those enemy fighters with an anolog stick.
Aerobatics is easier too. Everything's easier. And both (different)
'sticks I've wired had trims on each access. Makes level flight a cinch.

Kudos to Sublogic for making the 'stick control self-centering :
whenever you swith to 'stick it assumes the resistance at the time is
the center-of-stick resistance. Nice. General. Versatile.

All you need to make your own analog 'stick is a joystick-extender
cable and an Apple/IBM analog 'stick. Toys-R-Us has the 'stick, about
$25. Radio Shack as an unsheilded cable for $5, Wico(?) has a shielded
one that I bought for about $6 or $7. You can't use the cable that
comes on the Apple/IBM : generally, no wires for pins you need.

Does anyone sell an analog 'stick for Amy? Any C-64 sticks out there?
The C-64 ports use the same pinout, but is the resistance used compatable?

My next trick will be to mod the 'stick so it's got a user-adjustable
range, probably by having the pots control a constant-current source
and varying the gain of the source. BTW Amiga-gurus : I roughed out that
your pot-circuit internal voltage reference is about 2.5 Volts. True?

P.S. If you can't figure how to rewire a 'stick from the Amiga
game-port description, you probably aren't skilled enough anyway.

Friend and self used null-modem as per 1.2 documents to link A1000 to
A500 at 38Kbaud and played back-to-back. No dogfighting allowed, but
you can have great playing "follow-the-leader-do-what-I-do" and "tag".
Haven't tried through 1200baud modems yet, hope to soon. I hope more
Amiga games give this type of game play.

( Imagine a port of Gunship, with TWO Apaches screamin' across Europe
poppin' tanks together and blastin' Hinds! Exciting stuff ! )
Two-player coop-games (that don't need two players) are the greatest!
( Garrison is best example I know so far. )

Yes, I'm associated with GE. Is that why I like the Lear simulation,
'cause the Lear uses GE engines? Don't be silly. (But it is a kick.)

--
	Dennis O'Connor 	oconnor@sungoddess.steinmetz.UUCP ??
				ARPA: OCONNORDM@ge-crd.arpa

klm@munsell.UUCP (11/20/87)

While were on the subject of Flight Simulator, I just thought I'd mention
that while I was at the otherwise disappointing MARCA show last weekend,
I did speak to a representative from SubLogic.  I don't remember her name
or her position at SubLogic, but she assured me that:

	"Jet for the Amiga will be available by Christmas!"

Just thought you might like to know.

YOW!  Did I just create a traffic jam of RABID AMIGA OWNERS beating a path
to their local COMPUTER DEALER?

--
Kevin McBride, the guy in the brace //       | It's the end of the world
Eikonix - A Kodak Co.              //        |   as we know it,

bilbo@pnet02.cts.com (Bill Daggett) (11/21/87)

The Lear also uses(used) Garrett (Airesearch) 731 engines but airframe
manufacuters swap engines around a lot.  What model Lear does the simulator
use?

+Bill  Daggett, a.k.a. *Bilbo Baggins*  Recombinant Hobbit and Sysop of=
=Bilbo's Hideaway = 213-640-6104         * Sometimes The Dragon Wins! *+
+INTERNET: bilbo@pnet02.CTS.COM                                        =
=    UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd!crash, ihnp4!scgvaxd }!gryphon!pnet02!bilbo  +