[comp.sys.amiga] Well Hung Amiga 1000 Problem

bilbo@pnet02.cts.com (Bill Daggett) (11/11/87)

This seems to be a second major long standing Amiga problem that I am only
coming to grips with now and that most of you reading this have simply learned
to accept - hmmm... is that the answer?

After umpteen "dir"s or disk accesses the prompt disappears and the Amiga is
HUNG.  No Guru, no nothing.  You can move the cursor around and the mouse.
You can go to other windows but I haven't tried opening another CLI to see for
sure if they have an active prompt.  Besides, usually I want to do what I was
doing when the machine hung.

And again through third parties it slowely unfolds that AmigaDOS is the
culprit for this problem.  But I have had my eyes closed and my ears full of
ear wax again I guess.  I have never read much on this.  Is there a better fix
in the works then the warm boot which works just fine for umteen more disk
accesses?

Rita - (grin) - Will the T-shirts be ready for the free admission LAAUG Amiga
Christmas Wish List Show at the DWP (Department of Water & Power) Auditorium,
111 N. Hope St., Los Angeles, NOV. 21, 1987 - Saturday, from 10AM to 8PM?

I miss Pigs In Space.

*Bilbo*  Recombinant Hobbit
* Sometimes The Dragon Wins! *

INTERNET: bilbo@pnet02.CTS.COM
    UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd!crash, ihnp4!scgvaxd }!gryphon!pnet02!bilbo
   WHAT?:

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (11/12/87)

In article <2241@gryphon.CTS.COM> bilbo@pnet02.cts.com (Bill Daggett) writes:
>This seems to be a second major long standing Amiga problem that I am only
>coming to grips with now and that most of you reading this have simply learned
>to accept - hmmm... is that the answer?
>
>After umpteen "dir"s or disk accesses the prompt disappears and the Amiga is
>HUNG.  No Guru, no nothing.  You can move the cursor around and the mouse.

I've never heard of this one...anyone have any information ?

--
andy finkel		{ihnp4|seismo|allegra}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from
 a rigged demo."

dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU.UUCP (11/12/87)

:>This seems to be a second major long standing Amiga problem that I am only
:>coming to grips with now and that most of you reading this have simply learned
:>to accept - hmmm... is that the answer?
:>
:>After umpteen "dir"s or disk accesses the prompt disappears and the Amiga is
:>HUNG.  No Guru, no nothing.  You can move the cursor around and the mouse.
:
:I've never heard of this one...anyone have any information ?

	This has happened to me a number of times over the years (has it
really been years?).  It doesn't seem to be limited to any one program...
Due to the extreme illregularity of the problem I was never able to trace
it, but suspect a problem in LoadSeg().. Like perhaps LoadSeg() doesn't
return sometimes.

	Unfortunetly, DOS has a bad habit of slowly going insane when
buggy programs are running (as opposed to crashing the system immediately),
so it might also be some well-used program causing the problems.

					-Matt

hah@mipon3.intel.com (Hans Hansen) (11/13/87)

In article <2738@cbmvax.UUCP> andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) writes:
$In article <2241@gryphon.CTS.COM> bilbo@pnet02.cts.com (Bill Daggett) writes:
$>This seems to be a second major long standing Amiga problem that I am only
$>coming to grips with now and that most of you reading this have simply learned
$>to accept - hmmm... is that the answer?
$>
$
$I've never heard of this one...anyone have any information ?
$

Sounds like a case of RAMatosis... run the A500 diags if you can get a copy
of them.

$--
$andy finkel

Hans  hah@inteloa.intel.com

bilbo@pnet02.cts.com (Bill Daggett) (11/14/87)

Andy,
Thank you for responding.  I am still experiencing this hanging after a
countless, unknown number of either disk accesses or directory listings or the
such.  Actually last night I had just typed "arc l {filename}" and it hung -
that is the cursor remained but the ">" prompt did not return.  After a warm
boot everything has been fine - however I know that something is counting up
to a large number somewhere and when it reaches that "point" it will hang
again.  Warm booting spoils/resets the count.
I am of course disappointed I suppose that there is no explanation BUT I do
accept too that this could be a local situation mi amiga is suffering from.
Just in case equipment helps anyone confirm or deny any of this:

I have an Amiga A1000 with the following mods and/or additions:
USRobotics Courier 2400 baud modem
2 Meg Micron RAM expansion
20 Meg Supra 3.5" hard drive
KwikStart 1.2 ROM board
Halfbrite chip upgrade
PAL chip modification (that's another story)
I multitask all the time with Bilbo's Hideaway running in background - unless I
am calling out to other boards.

I was speaking to someone recently about this "hanging" after so many
whatevers and he mentioned someone who had documented the experience also.  I
will call this person back Monday in my pursuit.  In the mean time there isn't
much to do.

 Bill  Daggett -- a.k.a.
*Bilbo Baggins*  Recombinant Hobbit
* Sometimes The Dragon Wins! *

INTERNET: bilbo@pnet02.CTS.COM
    UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd!crash, ihnp4!scgvaxd }!gryphon!pnet02!bilbo
   WHAT?:

spencer@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Randy Spencer) (11/17/87)

In article <8> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:
...:>After umpteen "dir"s or disk accesses the prompt disappears and the Amigas
...:>HUNG.  No Guru, no nothing.  You can move the cursor around and the mouse.
...:
...:I've never heard of this one...anyone have any information ?
...	This has happened to me a number of times over the years (has it
...really been years?).  It doesn't seem to be limited to any one program...
...Due to the extreme illregularity of the problem I was never able to trace
...it, but suspect a problem in LoadSeg().. Like perhaps LoadSeg() doesn't
...return sometimes.
...					-Matt

I got a C-Ltd. Hard disk about a year ago (or so), and when I did, a friend,
Marnix (ain't Unix) Van Ammers told me that his would hang occasionally,
so when mine did I didn't worry about it.  Who would listen to someone
complain about their C-Ltd. hard disk?  Recently I have been doing some
serious development (finally!), and using the beta Manx 3.6 I get this lockup
ALL the time.  Sure would be nice to find that it was a dos problem, then
I could expect to see a fix on the horizon.

I must complement the original poster of this message, we need a better
sense of humor on this net!
Randy Spencer      P.O. Box 4542   Berkeley  CA  94704        (415)222-7595
                         I N F I N I T Y                 BBS: (415)222-9416
Now working for          |||||||||||::::... . .    new, new --->>  AAA-WH1M
But in no way            |||||||||||||||::::.. .. .
Officially representing  ||||||||||||:::::... ..    ....ucbvax!mica!spencer
                         s o f t w a r e          spencer@mica.berkeley.edu

bilbo@pnet02.UUCP (11/20/87)

Thanks Sandy!

Well, it has been almost 5 full days of running the new Supra driver called
SupraMount and I haven't experienced one HANG nor even one Guru!  (Ah, there's
a piece of wood - knock, knock.)  There are two things to note, and they may
not be important since the "bug" is ill understood.  The bug is/was that after
a countless number of "dir"s or disk accesses of some sort the machine would
HANG.  The cursor would return with no prompt.  You could move the mouse
around, hit return, go to other windows (which would be frozen but otherwise
intact).  No guru.  A warm boot would reset everything.

The Supra driver now runs as a "task" and no longer requires the "supra.0"
file in "devs".

And 2, per Supra instructions I removed the RAM expansion this round and
waited 10 minutes before and after disk re-formating before reinstalling the
RAM and running things.  I find this BIZARRE - but what the hey!

 Bill  Daggett -- a.k.a.
*Bilbo Baggins*  Recombinant Hobbit and Sysop of = Bilbo's Hideaway =
* Sometimes The Dragon Wins! *                       213-640-6104

INTERNET: bilbo@pnet02.CTS.COM
    UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd!crash, ihnp4!scgvaxd }!gryphon!pnet02!bilbo
   WHAT?:

(soon to be shortened down Harv)
(oh please get more RAM Gary)

In article <5955@jade.BERKELEY.EDU>, spencer@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Randy Spencer) writes:
> I must complement the original poster of this message, we need a better
              ^
> sense of humor on this net!

Yow. Maybe it's just because I just read through a dump of psychoanalyse-
pinhead, but I really worry about people who go around complementing
posters with a sense of humor. Do you get antimatter, or do you just get
flamers?
--
-- Peter da Silva  `-_-'  ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter
-- Disclaimer: These U aren't mere opinions... these are *values*.