[comp.sys.amiga] Multi-serial operations on the A2000

CRONEJP@UREGINA1.BITNET (Jonathan Crone) (11/22/87)

Is it possible to have multiple serial devices on the A2000????
I have an A1000 and don't need to worry about it, but I have
a friend who has a nice RS232 printer and a 2400 bps modem, and is
getting an A2000 with bridge board, and wants the printer and the modem
to be accessible from both the bridgeboard and the A2000.
I know that the printer when it is hooked up to the SER: and its accessed
as PRT: (via preferences set up) can be attached to the Bridgeboard
via the LPT1: program on the PC drawer on the A2000.
but what about the modem... and is there any way for him to
have both the modem and the printer attached at the same time
to the A2000 side???? as in TWO serial ports????

I thought of one way to do it that i MAY be able to accomplish...
and that would be to attach a Multi I/O card to the PC bus, use
the i/o channel thats on the bridgeboard along with a device driver on both
sides that would (on the PC side) grab the serial input from the multi
i/o card, fire  it to the i/o channel, and on the A2000 grab the info
from the i/o channel and fire it to whatever application was desired...
(presumeably as a SR1: device or something....)
This of course is a messy kludge that i'm not at all impressed with
dreaming up, and which i have NO REAL desire to attempt..

any other ideas?????

How about ASDG or some other brilliant boys coming up with a
multi I/O card for the Zorro II spec????
Say 1 additional parallel port, and 2 serial, and an option for
IEEE 488......????
memory sockets while we're at it?????
Hell the zorro II form factor is beautiful, gives a guy LOTS of acreage
to put stuff on......

Jonathan Crone

I suppose i should come up with a sig file....

but why should I????

Pithy Saying 0x0012FE:

Do not mess with the affairs of wizards for you taste good crispy with
Ketchup.....

gt4785b@pyr.gatech.EDU (CARTER) (11/23/87)

Jonathan Crone writes:
>...I have a friend who has a nice RS232 printer and a 2400 bps modem, and is
>getting an A2000 with bridge board, and wants the printer and the modem
>to be accessible from both the bridgeboard and the A2000.

A company called Redmond Cable has advertised a Parallel to Serial converter
for $85 including shipping (I saw the ad in Amiga World).  There are many other
companies selling similar devices.

David Carter