[comp.sys.amiga] How to buy Amiga, and should I?

wws@sfsup.UUCP (Bill Stoll) (11/15/87)

I'm looking for a PC with hi-res color graphics,
good sound capability, and well documented access
to assembler level programming for game hacking.  From
what I've heard and read, Amiga sounds like the best bet.
I have two questions:

1) Does anyone know of any Amiga dealers in central NJ
   (I live in Millburn which is directly between Morristown
   and Newark)?  I called six stores, and one suggested
   I try Toys 'R Us ( they didn't have it either :-) )
   My next action will be to call Commodore (can't call
   'em today; it's Saturday).

2) Is Amiga the best bet?  I've read articles here that imply
   that I can get most any PC (e.g., IBM PC) and buy special
   cards/software/color monitors that make them "as good."
   Multitasking is less important to me than the speed, sound,
   color graphics, and ability to work in assembler and C
   (not to say I wouldn't take advantage of multitasking...).

Thanks!
--
Bill Stoll
ihnp4!attunix!wws

>2) Is Amiga the best bet?  I've read articles here that imply
>   that I can get most any PC (e.g., IBM PC) and buy special
>   cards/software/color monitors that make them "as good."
>   Multitasking is less important to me than the speed, sound,
>   color graphics, and ability to work in assembler and C
>   (not to say I wouldn't take advantage of multitasking...).

	Well, considering which newsgroup you posted your message to I
think it's a safe bet that just about everybody here would say ... yes.
I have hacked on IBM-PC's also, and can say right off that the Amiga is
three orders of magnitude better in respect to programming in both C and
Assembly.

	And as far as multitasking goes, you're in for a surprise.  People
new to the Amiga (especially programmers) don't realize how much of boon
multitasking is until they start using the machine.  The cludges Apple has
added with their Multifinder, and all IBM-PC-compatible "multitasking"
software is NOT real multitasking.  Hell, I remember when I wrote a little
task switcher on my C64 so I could debug a game I was writing as I was
playing it.  Bryce went a little further... he multitasked BASIC on his old
C64...  this is the relative level IBM and Apple are working at.

					-Matt

trudel@topaz.rutgers.edu (Jonathan D.) (11/18/87)

In article <2363@sfsup.UUCP> wws@sfsup.UUCP (Bill Stoll) writes:

> 1) Does anyone know of any Amiga dealers in central NJ
>    (I live in Millburn which is directly between Morristown
>    and Newark)?

Family Computers in the American Way Mall, Route 46 (eastbound lanes)
in Fairfield NJ.

						Jon

john@spycal.UUCP (John Presley) (11/20/87)

In article <2363@sfsup.UUCP>, wws@sfsup.UUCP (Bill Stoll) writes:
> I have two questions:
>
> 1) Does anyone know of any Amiga dealers in central NJ
>    (I live in Millburn which is directly between Morristown
>    and Newark)?  I called six stores, and one suggested
> --
> Bill Stoll
> ihnp4!attunix!wws

There is a dealer (at least of 500's) in the Quakerbridge Mall on US
between Trenton and Princeton.

I ran across it while on a trip in September.

|                   o                                    |
|   John Presley, UNISYS Canada Inc, Calgary, Alberta    |

mkd@mtunh.UUCP (11/23/87)

In article <177@spycal.UUCP>, john@spycal.UUCP (John Presley) writes:
> In article <2363@sfsup.UUCP>, wws@sfsup.UUCP (Bill Stoll) writes:
> > I have two questions:
> >
> > 1) Does anyone know of any Amiga dealers in central NJ
> >    (I live in Millburn which is directly between Morristown
> >    and Newark)?  I called six stores, and one suggested
Considering that you are in Summit, this suggestion may be pointless...

I just bought my Amiga 500 two days ago from THE MDI Computer Store
in Englishtown, NJ.

Bought my 500 and 1080 monitor for $949 plus some software, disks, mouse pad,
etc.

It's on Southbound Rte. 9. Don't have a phone book handy, so I can't
give you the exact phone number and address.

Hope this helps.

Mark K. Darby
AT&T Information Systems

..!rutgers!mtune!mtunh!mkd  or ..!ihnp4!attunix!mtunh!mkd