[comp.sys.amiga] Using Alegra with Microbotics Adapter

iqbal@pnet01.cts.com (Iqbal Hans) (11/22/87)

   Would it be possible to use the Alegra with 2 megs in an Amiga 2000 with
the Microbotics Starboard II adaptor? How 'bout with a MINIMUM of hacking?

   The adaptor has one wire that needs to be hooked to the Starboard
somewhere. I think this is for autoconfiguring. Would it be possible to
connect it to someplace on the Alegra or do you need it at all (provided you
can, of course, use the Alegra with the adaptor)?

                                              Iqbal Hans

        UUCP:   {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!pnet01!iqbal
        ARPA:   crash!pnet01!iqbal@nosc
        INET:   iqbal@pnet01.CTS.COM

rusty@vertigo.UUCP (M.W.HADDOCK) (11/23/87)

In article <2036@crash.cts.com> iqbal@pnet01.cts.com (Iqbal Hans) writes:
]
]   Would it be possible to use the Alegra with 2 megs in an Amiga 2000 with
]the Microbotics Starboard II adaptor? How 'bout with a MINIMUM of hacking?
]
]   The adaptor has one wire that needs to be hooked to the Starboard
]somewhere. I think this is for autoconfiguring.
]...
]

Why not speed a buck or two and call MicroBotics in Richardson, TX
and *ASK*?   Before you go buying or hacking on a couple hundred
dollars of computer equipment wouldn't it make sense to spend a few
cents on a phone call to be sure???

					-Rusty-

Disclaimer: Even though I work for AT&T I am not trying to solicit business
for them - they have their own advertising division to do this for them.
--
Rusty Haddock {{uunet!likewise!}cbosgd,rutgers!moss}!vertigo!rusty
AT&T-IS Consumer Products Laboratories - Human Factors Laboratory

spg@well.UUCP (Stephen P. Grant) (11/24/87)

In Article <2036@crash.cts.com> iqbal@pnet01.cts.com (Iqbal Hans) writes:

>   Would it be possible to use the Alegra with 2 megs in an Amiga 2000 with
>the Microbotics Starboard II adaptor? How 'bout with a MINIMUM of hacking?
>
>   The adaptor has one wire that needs to be hooked to the Starboard
>somewhere. I think this is for autoconfiguring. Would it be possible to
>connect it to someplace on the Alegra or do you need it at all (provided you
>can, of course, use the Alegra with the adaptor)?
>
>                                              Iqbal Hans

Yes, it is possible.  Here's how:

How to Install your Alegra in your Amiga 2000
Using the Microbotics SB2000 Adapter Card

1. Completely remove the Alegra board from its metal case.

2. As described in step 3 of the adapter instructions, attach the
   Alegra board to the adapter upside-down onto the adapter.

3. Because of the difference in size between the Alegra and the
   Microbotics board, you will not be able to mount the Alegra to
   the adapter with a screw.  Do not worry about this as the Alegra
   fits tightly onto the adapter and will not come loose under normal
   circumstances.

4. Attach the wire clip to pin 1 of IC U10.  With the board upside-
   down, IC U10 is located along the top row on the left hand side
   of the board.  Pin 1 is the bottom pin on the right side of the
   IC.  The IC type is either a "74ALS373" or a "74F373".  There is
   only one device of this type on the Alegra, so it should be easy
   to find.

5. Continue to follow the installation instructions.  When the job is
   done, power-up the Amiga 2000 and load workbench.  You should see
   the additional memory indicated on your workbench screen.

I currently have my Alegra running in my A2000 with no problems.

Steve Grant
Engineering Manager
Access Associates