[comp.sys.amiga] I need fonts!

schwager@uiucdcsm.cs.uiuc.edu (11/24/87)

I need fonts!  Something in a point size 30, helvetica or Roman.  I'd
like to make banner-style headings with Pagesetter, and a font size of
20 just doesn't cut it.  I've tried editing my own fonts.... um, don't
look so hot, to say the least.  Maybe there's a handy-dandy book out
there though that might help.  Either way, I'd really like size 30 or
bigger.  Anything else would be appreciated.  I've gotten spoiled by
using troff with a Roman font that's got a huge set of sizes, from 6 all
the way up to 36.  I'd like to have a good variety of sizes in an
all-purpose font like that. Can anyone help?
-mike schwager
-- {ihnp4,convex,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!schwager   schwager%uiuc@csnet-relay.arpa
	University of Illinois, Dept. of Computer Science

In article <7200034@uiucdcsm> schwager@uiucdcsm.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>I need fonts!  Something in a point size 30, helvetica or Roman.

Check out the Zuma Fonts. There are three volumes with sizes from 9 to 128
or so. I use them with TV Text and think they are great.

--Chuck McManis

sdl@linus.UUCP (Steven D. Litvintchouk) (11/25/87)

Posting-Front-End: GNU Emacs 18.47.1 of Sun Aug  2 1987 on linus (berkeley-unix)

In article <7200034@uiucdcsm> schwager@uiucdcsm.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

> I need fonts!  Something in a point size 30, helvetica or Roman.  I'd
> like to make banner-style headings with Pagesetter, and a font size of
> 20 just doesn't cut it.  I've tried editing my own fonts.... um, don't
> look so hot, to say the least.  Maybe there's a handy-dandy book out
> there though that might help.  Either way, I'd really like size 30 or
> bigger.....

The "Newsletter Fonts" fontset might help you ($25 from Go Amigo).  It
contains Helvetica and Roman bitmapped fonts in a wide variety of
pointsizes.  Unfortunately, the name of the vendor just slipped my
mind; it's the same company that markets the "Calligrapher" font
editor.

If you want Postscript fonts, then perhaps Gold Disk might have what
you're looking for.

> -mike schwager
> -- {ihnp4,convex,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!schwager   schwager%uiuc@csnet-relay.arpa
> 	University of Illinois, Dept. of Computer Science

Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation
Burlington Road
Bedford, MA  01730

Fone:  (617)271-7753
ARPA:  sdl@mitre-bedford.arpa
UUCP:  ...{cbosgd,decvax,genrad,ll-xn,philabs,security,utzoo}!linus!sdl

john13@garfield.UUCP (11/25/87)

--
Mike Schwager writes:

>I need fonts!  Something in a point size 30, helvetica or Roman.
>I've tried editing my own fonts.... um, don't
>look so hot, to say the least.  Maybe there's a handy-dandy book out
>there though that might help.
>I've gotten spoiled by
>using troff with a Roman font that's got a huge set of sizes, from 6 all
>the way up to 36.  I'd like to have a good variety of sizes in an
>all-purpose font like that. Can anyone help?

I've not been doing much with fonts lately, but there is one idea I had a
while ago I never got around to fully doing (I did get as far as saving
about 1/2 the character set as individual brushes, read on).

1. Find a Unix system, that has a half-decent graphics system that supports
Tektronix. Hey, what luck, there's one on the other end of this phone line
right next to the Laser Printer :-). An infinite variety of X/Y scaling factors
and fonts from Roman to cursive to Gothic to musical notation.

2. Find a font you like and print a screenful of it. While you are doing this,
of course you are running on a Tektronix emulator (VT100 w Tektronix / A-Talk
/ Diga). So when the alphabet and all the symbols are on your screen, save it
with any standard screensaver.

3. Edit the screen with DPaint or whatever; save each letter as a brush.

4. Make the brushes into letters in a font. This part I never tried out. I
think a program called "Calligrapher" lets you do it, are there any other
utilities for this? It shouldn't be too hard to write one if not. Come to
think of it, it might also be useful (in terms of rotation, colouring etc)
to just load each letter into its own rastport and write your own text-
rendering routines if you were writing your own fancy application.

5. Go back, select a different scaling value for the text, and voila a new
point size. And a new font when you have all the sizes you need. (I "stole"
the Gothic font, about 18 point, myself.)

John

PS CMD is a program to divert output from prt: to a file of your choosing,
from Carolyn@CATS. Versions are on several Fish disks, the early ones do not
work with all programs (eg Pagesetter).

PPS With the PageIFF utility, why not write an IFF->Imagen print program?
--
"I would have promised those terrorists a TRIP TO DISNEYLAND if it would
 have gotten those hostages released. I thank God they were satisfied with