[comp.sys.amiga] MacSac for Amy

kim@amdahl.UUCP (11/20/87)

[ Lineeaters ... just say NO! ]

Pete Jordan posted the following on our internal Amiga conference.
Kinda interesting, if you wanna run some Mac programs ...

/kim

--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ihnp4,uunet,oliveb,cbosgd,ames}!amdahl!kim

bryce@hoser.berkeley.edu (Bryce Nesbitt) (11/21/87)

In article <18477@> (Kim DeVaughn) relays Pete Jordan, who typed:

>> I listened to Sam Tramiel of Atari on the Computer Show (Nov 17).
>> He did a pretty good job except one comment that really bothered me:
>> He said that he considers the Amiga a good color machine but *not* a
>> business machine because it doesn't offer 640 X 400 monochrome mode!!

In all practicality he is correct.  Try and go to an Amiga dealer and
purchase a LP monochrome monitor.  Of the Bay Area dealers I talked
to most had never heard you could do such a thing, and the rest had
heard that it was possible, but could not sell me a monitor.

Sam Tramiel's presentation started out weak, but ended quite strong.
The 640*400 mode comment was at least doubled in effectiveness by
the Commodore "I am the Amiga" commercial that was cut to a few
seconds later.  I believe the wording used by Sam was on the lines
of "The Amiga is an excellent machine, but at this time we see it as
a color only machine.  It does not have the high resolution (640*400)
mode of a more business oriented machine like the Mega.".

I'm mentioned it before, but perhaps it bears repeating.  Now would
be an excellent time for C= to take the lead and either produce a
simple, very low cost LP monochrome monitor (640*400) or recommend in a
mailing to dealers a source for them.  Salesmen making lame excuses
about why ProWrite flickers is *not* the way to sell computers.  The
1000*800 monitor is great, but at lot of people could be satisfied with
a cheaper 640*400.

[Ideally the monitor would have a cheap speaker and be externally adjustable
for overscan at 704*464.  I don't know about anyone else, but *I* am addicted
to morerows.  Thanks jimm, dale and anyone else who conspired to release
that gem! ]

|\ /|  . Ack! (NAK, SOH, EOT)
{o O} . bryce@hoser.berkeley.EDU -or- ucbvax!hoser!bryce
 (")

In article <21885@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> bryce@hoser.berkeley.edu (Bryce Nesbitt) writes:
>In all practicality he is correct.  Try and go to an Amiga dealer and
>purchase a LP monochrome monitor.  Of the Bay Area dealers I talked
>to most had never heard you could do such a thing, and the rest had
>heard that it was possible, but could not sell me a monitor.

I got news for you guy, the stock IBM PC green monochrome monitor is LP.

Keith Doyle
#  {ucbvax,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd  Contel Business Systems 213-323-8170

farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) (11/24/87)

In article <1886@cadovax.UUCP> keithd@cadovax.UUCP (Keith Doyle) writes:
>In article <21885@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> bryce@hoser.berkeley.edu (Bryce Nesbitt) writes:
>>Try and go to an Amiga dealer and purchase a LP monochrome monitor.
>
>I got news for you guy, the stock IBM PC green monochrome monitor is LP.

I got news for YOU, guy: the stock IBM PC green monochrome monitor won't
work with the Amiga.  Different refresh rates.

--
----------------
Michael J. Farren      "... if the church put in half the time on covetousness

bryce@hoser.berkeley.edu (Bryce Nesbitt) (11/24/87)

In article <1886@cadovax.UUCP> keithd@cadovax.UUCP (Keith Doyle) writes:
>In article <21885@ucbvax> bryce@hoser.berkeley.edu (Bryce Nesbitt) writes:
>>
>>In all practicality he is correct.  Try and go to an Amiga dealer and
>>purchase a LP monochrome monitor...
>
>I got news for you guy, the stock IBM PC green monochrome monitor is LP.

Oh, silly me.  I forgot to specify that I wanted to WORK when I got it
home and hooked it up to my Amiga, guy.

The "standard" Pee-Cee green has a "non-standard" scan rate (ie, non
NTSC).  It might not be fried by connection to an A500, but it certainly
won't work, guy.

Argh!!!!  I feel like saying something nasty to someone.  You seem
like a good innocent victim.  Check alt.flame for some not-so-complimentary
nonsense, guy.

Besides, if it was really an AMIGA dealer they would not have Pee-Cee
green monitors anyway, right, guy? :-)

Apply lots of :-) to anything above that offended you.  If you read
the alt.flame version you deserve what you get, guy.

|\ /|  . Ack! (NAK, SOH, EOT)
{o O} . bryce@hoser.berkeley.EDU -or- ucbvax!hoser!bryce
 (")
  U	WARNING: hoser's spool directory eats a *lot* of mail. :-(

In article <1886@cadovax.UUCP> keithd@cadovax.UUCP (Keith Doyle) writes:
> In article <21885@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> bryce@hoser.berkeley.edu (Bryce Nesbitt) writes:
> >In all practicality he is correct.  Try and go to an Amiga dealer and
> >purchase a LP monochrome monitor.  Of the Bay Area dealers I talked
> >to most had never heard you could do such a thing, and the rest had
> >heard that it was possible, but could not sell me a monitor.
>
> I got news for you guy, the stock IBM PC green monochrome monitor is LP.

It also isn't useful on an Amiga, since it has a 18 KHz horizontal scan
and 50 Hz vertical scan i.e. not an NTSC monitor.  Usually they can be
fixed with a few simple component substitutions, but that's hacker, not
dealer territory.

--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {uunet|ihnp4|rutgers}!cbmvax!grr

ljc@otter.HP.COM (Lee Carter) (11/25/87)

/ otter:comp.sys.amiga / kim@amdahl.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) /  1:15 am  Nov 20, 1987 /

--

In article <381@gethen.UUCP> farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) writes:
>work with the Amiga.  Different refresh rates.

Ok I guess I can buy that.  I've seen the Amiga work with a stock CGA
monitor, and incorrectly assumed that the monochrome monitors were running
the same rate.  Never mind.