[comp.sys.amiga] BBS software and content ideas

langz@athena.mit.edu (Lang Zerner) (11/23/87)

Well, I'd been spending so much time tying up the phone with my new Amy that my
fiancee requested I get a separate line.  I accepted her request, and then
realized that as long as I have a separate line, I might as well start up a BBS
to take advantage of all the idle time that line will have while I'm at work,
etc.  Typical of tales in comp.dcom.telecom, attempting to get the line listed
under "Nocturnal Transmission" (the name I wanted for my BBS) got "I'm sorry,
but that's a business name.  You'll have to pay business rates" from the local
BOC.  "You mean, even if I legally changed my name to Nocturnal
Transmissions...?"  "Yes.  I'm sorry."  (Uh-huh..;-)

Well, anyway, I ended up calling a second time, to a different sales rep, and
got the line listed under the name of my "roommate",  Max Elbowroom.  Now, in
order for the Max Elbowroom BBS to start, I need to get some decent BBS
software, and I'd like to get some recommendations and maybe see a little
debate.  Here are my minimal requirements:

	Multi-tasking, so I don't have to shut down the BBS to use the machine.

	Source included and CLEAN, so I can study it.  My first major
	programming project is a BBS with some special features for
	callers who have Amigas, so I need to get a handle on BBS system
	basics.  BTW, the system is still in early design phase, so I'd
	be happy to answer questions and I'd love to get some tips and
	discussion.

In addition to comments on BBS software, I'd also love to hear from you about
what you find does and doesn't work on BBSs.  My intention is for the Max
Elbowroom BBS to support the Amiga community, but it seems as though a BBS
needs a little more diversity to have lasting appeal.  Of course, I realize
that the ultimate judgement comes from the callers, but the better I give them
to start with, the better off the BBS will be when the users' ideas are
incorporated.

Looking forward to a lively stream of "Re: BBS software and content".  Keep
those postings coming!  Ta.
 Lang Zerner   langz@athena.mit.edu   ...ihnp4!mit-eddie!mit-athena!langz
 "No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the only misfortune is to do it
  solemnly"   --Michel de Montaigne

page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (11/25/87)

langz@athena.mit.edu (Lang Zerner) wrote:
>got the line listed under the name of my "roommate",  Max Elbowroom.

Too cool.  I called information, they had no listing in either business
or residential for Mr. Elbowroom.

>I'd like to ... see a little debate.

Sounds like USENET! :-)

Check out BBS on Fish Disk 30 - shareware, no source, but you might
talk to the author.

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@ulowell.edu  ulowell!page
"I've never liked reality all that much, but I haven't found a

langz@athena.mit.edu (Lang Zerner) (11/27/87)

I'm doing some research into what software to use for my yet-to-be-born public
information service, the Max Elbowroom BBS.  See article
<1870@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> for more details.

page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) wrote:
>langz@athena.mit.edu (Lang Zerner) (<-- hey, that's me!) wrote:
>>got the line listed under the name of my "roommate",  Max Elbowroom.
>
>Too cool.  I called information, they had no listing in either business
>or residential for Mr. Elbowroom.

Actually, Bob, the line won't be *installed* until 1 December, and knowing NET
the listing won't be available in directory assistance for a couple of weeks
afterward.

Anyway, thanks to the zillions who responded to my initial posting.
Apparently, the only BBS worth using is part of or has a gateway to an
existing, large network (such as, for example, Usenet :-).  So now the big
question is: is there any BBS software that runs on the Amiga and has built-in
connectivity (oooh! I just *love* using those buzzwords) to some kind of
network.  For example, an Amiga FidoNet node would be OK (Echomail works).  A
BBS that has a gateway to Usenet would be ideal, since I can get feeds for all
the best groups.  Does anyone know of such an animal, or perhaps of a way to
integrate this capability into an existing BBS system (perhaps by incorporating
the uupc utilities somehow?)?  (Experienced Amiga hackers, this is your dream
project and you know it! :-)

Be seing you...