[comp.sys.amiga] my A1000 hangs in 2 different ways

bakken@hrsw2.UUCP (David E. Bakken) (11/24/87)

I am having two apparently unrelated problems with Amy and would appreciate
any help in solving them.  I am running a 1000 with 1.2 and an Insider.

1)  	The startup script that works fine on my C-CLI disk fires up vd0:,
	popcli, rtclock (the Insider clock read program), and facc, in
	that order.  But then I was trying to set up a Vizawrite workbench
	disk, so I copied over the appropriate programs and changed the
	firing up of the shell to loadwb (I do binddrivers right before
	loadwb).  All the programs get fired up but then it hangs and the
	workbench never appears.  Deleting binddrivers does nothing, so
	I played with all combinations of mounting vd0: and firing up
	popcli, rtclock, and facc.  whenever popcli or facc was fired up
	it would hang as mentioned before.  When neither popcli or facc
	was fired up, if vd0: was not mounted it would work fine.  If vd0:
	was mounted, however, the workbench would appear normally, but when
	a CLI was fired up (by clicking its icon) the CLI window would
	appear for an instant and then disappear.

	I don't know if I'm overlooking something obvious or what.  But
	it seems like popcli and facc collide with my workbench.  I have
	never been able to get popcli to work with my OnLine! workbench
	environment so I gave up many moons ago.

2)	My OnLine! disk has worked well for a long time.  But now all of
	a sudden when I click open the disk icon it draws a few drawers
	and then the mouse freezes and the internal drive makes a horrible
	grind, and then the screen is red, then green, then ...  (It's really
	quite pretty but not what I'd like to see).  The disk has no
	errors on it and I did not munch anything to my knowledge.  And I
	can fire up OnLine! through the shell and it works fine.  Oh yeah,
	through all the color cycling the internal drive is whirring.

	The color cycling makes me wonder if an Insider connection is
	flaky (I didn't do the techy solder job), but I don't understand
	why this would happen only in one spot on one disk.  The top meg
	of my memory definitely works.  I'd better take it to my dealer
	to have it checked, I guess.

Any helpful hints for diagnosing the above problems would be greatly
appreciated.  Thanks!!!

--
Dave Bakken
uw-beaver!ssc-vax!shuksan!tahoma!hrsw2!bakken

eric@hector.UUCP (Eric Lavitsky) (11/27/87)

VD0:, the ASDG Recoverable Ram Disk, will usually not work with
the Insider memory expansion or other memory products that place
themselves in the $c00000 address space. This is due to a destructive
method of determining that memory at $c00000 exists. It also may not
work correctly if there is bad memory or if the refresh logic on
the board is fouled up. If you have diagnostics for your memory,
run them (a good diagnostic will take around 30 minutes on a
stock A1000 to thoroughly check 2 Megabytes - use that as a guage
for determining whether your diagnostics are really testing out
your memory).

Eric

ARPA:	lavitsky@topaz.rutgers.edu		 "Lithium is no longer available
UUCP:	...{wherever!}ulysses!eric		  on credit..."
	...{wherever!}rutgers!topaz!eric		- from Buckaroo Banzai
SNAIL:	34 Maplehurst Ln, Piscataway, NJ 08854

jmpiazza@sunybcs.uucp (Joseph M. Piazza) (11/27/87)

In article <3228@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com> eric@hector (Eric Lavitsky) writes:
>VD0:, the ASDG Recoverable Ram Disk, will usually not work with
>the Insider memory expansion or other memory products that place
>themselves in the $c00000 address space. This is due to a destructive
>method of determining that memory at $c00000 exists.

	Really?  I've been using vd0: (registered, of course :-) and the
Insider for 'bout nine months without any noticable problems.

	I did have a problem early on when I didn't seat the board firmly
enough into the 68000 socket, but in that case me Amiga didn't work at all.
Everything has worked perfectly since bringing it back to the shop and the
guy there seated the board properly -- no charge.  A good rule of thumb for
non-hardware types like me is to have a hardware technoid available in case
you do run into problems.

Flip side,

	joe piazza

---
In capitalism, man exploits man.
In communism, it's the other way around.

CS Dept. SUNY at Buffalo 14260
UU: ...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!jmpiazza
CS: jmpiazza@cs.buffalo.edu
BI: jmpiazza@sunybcs