[comp.sys.amiga] Another silly ad idea

mjw@F.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (Michael Witbrock) (11/12/87)

Hey, I just had another idea for an ad.

Screen shot with boring green screen. List of numbers scrolling (slowly past).
voice says "Not an IBM" as the screen is pulled down to reveal.

Boring mac type screen (actually workbench with colours set to monochrome).
Shows two d graph (also monochrome).

Voice says "not a macintosh"
screen pulls down to show whizzy, animated , 3 d , colour graph.

Voice " the amiga 2000"

-- Alternatively, show bogus IBM database, slightly less bogus mac database,
and microfiche filer (or whatever it's called) on the amiga screen instead of
the graphs.

P.S. CBM - is there in fact a hardware bug in the A2000 which has halted
shipments (this is what a certain supplier which will remain nameless till I
see whether they deserve flamage tried to suggest to me.) or is it just an
inventory problem?

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (11/13/87)

in article <349@PT.CS.CMU.EDU>, mjw@F.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (Michael Witbrock) says:

> P.S. CBM - is there in fact a hardware bug in the A2000 which has halted
> shipments (this is what a certain supplier which will remain nameless till I
> see whether they deserve flamage tried to suggest to me.) or is it just an
> inventory problem?

No bugs, no way.  I think it's basically a supply problem; getting all the
parts that have to go into an A2000 doesn't happen as fast as they are
currently selling.  The process of building them will happen faster as the
production folks learn the machine better and as the strange demand
conditions of (A) this is a new machine, and (B) CBM has a trade-in offer
level off.
--
Dave Haynie     Commodore-Amiga    Usenet: {ihnp4|caip|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh
   "The B2000 Guy"              PLINK : D-DAVE H             BIX   : hazy

mcrae@ssc-vax.UUCP (Brian Mcrae) (11/17/87)

In article <349@PT.CS.CMU.EDU>, mjw@F.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (Michael Witbrock) writes:
> Hey, I just had another idea for an ad.
>
> Screen shot with boring green screen. List of numbers scrolling (slowly past).
> voice says "Not an IBM" as the screen is pulled down to reveal.
>
> Boring mac type screen (actually workbench with colours set to monochrome).
> Shows two d graph (also monochrome).
>
> Voice says "not a macintosh"
> screen pulls down to show whizzy, animated , 3 d , colour graph.
>
> Voice " the amiga 2000"

    Even better, show one guy in an office working on a mac, one in another
    working on an IBM and yet another working on an amiga.  The commercial
    shows the guy on the amiga do great graphics and stuff with the powerful
    amiga.  He finishes gets up and leaves and walks by the other guys desks.
    He says good night and one of the others guys go
    "Boy Frank goes home on time every night"
    the other one say the IBM user goes
    "I know"
    "But he gets so much done"
    "I know"
    "Wonder how he does it?"
    "beats me"
    Then it pans to the Amiga and says
    "The Amiga 2000, mastering the posibilities <or other slogan>"

    This could also be done with three guys in a row sitting with their
    backs to us working on their computers (i.e. the ibm and mac are hardly
    seen behind the people while the amiga is in the open when the first
    guy gets up and leaves).  The above conversation takes place with
    their backs to us while the camara zooms in on the amiga.

    Just as an aside.  I own an Ami for about roughly forever (I was one of the
    very first Seattle area owners), but I am not sure the above is actually
    true.  I hate to say it but the reallity is that as a total system
    (hardware, software, integration, laser printer) the mac person would
    be the first to get up.  With the Amiga and the IBM guys getting up
    about the same time.  This DOES NOT mean that the Amiga is SLOWER than
    the others (i.e. it does process and draw faster).  I'm just say that
    screen resolution and INTEGRATED software wise along with a slightly
    (some would much) easier to use Man-Machine Interface, the MAC gets the
    job done.   I found this out a number of ways having access to both
    machines, but the one test that scared me to death was when I tried to
    make a map and anouncement to my house (i.e. drawings with text) I had
    a very difficult time doing it on my Amiga and I had no problem doing it
    on the MAC.  (I do not have impact or ageis draw, this may be the problem).

    FLAME REPELLANT ON
    This is not because I dislike the Amiga or because I'm a secrect closet
    mac lover.  I have just found the mac in general to be quicker and easier
    to use.

			  Sorry its so long,

			  Brian McRae
			  Boeing Aerospace

/* don't kiss aluminuim doors in the winter time */

schwager@uiucdcsm.UUCP (11/19/87)

...edited...
>     job done.   I found this out a number of ways having access to both
>     machines, but the one test that scared me to death was when I tried to
>     make a map and anouncement to my house (i.e. drawings with text) I had
>     a very difficult time doing it on my Amiga and I had no problem doing it
>     on the MAC. (I do not have impact or ageis draw, this may be the problem).
>
>     FLAME REPELLANT ON
> 			  Brian McRae
> 			  Boeing Aerospace
>
> /* End of text from uiucdcsm:comp.sys.amiga */

No flames here; but could you take that stuff off?  It stinks :-)

Hmmm... what were you using?  If you don't mind black and white or
gray-scale, then perhaps you had trouble.  However, I have PageSetter
and really really like it.  Just go into graphics edit mode, draw a
pretty picture.  Then go back to the page, write the picture into a box.
Include any text you need, maybe using font Diamond in point size 20.
I don't have any really huge fonts; kind of a disappointment.  Anyhow,
print the page on the dot-matrix printer.  Surprise!  Decent output
(doesn't match a laser printer, but who's got $1000+ for a printer?)!
Done in under 1/2 an hour (I've done pretty much just what you describe
in that amount of time- my 3rd time using the program; it was *easy*)!
Takes 5 minutes to print the page; argh! But I'll just go grab a sandwich...

My two complaints about Pagesetter:
first, the looonnnggg print time.  Guess that's the way it is when doing
a graphics print to a dot matrix printer.  Second, there's no way to get
different boxes of text/graphics to move as a group (I don't think).  To
explain:  in Pagesetter the results of a graphics edit or an text edit
are placed on the page in a box you create.  You can resize boxes and
move them around (although the size of the text/graphics inside doesn't
change- it gets truncated).  But if you've got three boxes that you like
the relative position of and want to move them as a group, sorry,
Charlie.

Anyhow, I'll take the PageSetter.  Let's face it, I can do 8 pages worth
of stuff and wait for it to print out (a 40 minute ordeal), in less time
than I can pic/tbl/troff it at work.  Desk top publishing is cool!

-mike schwager
-- {ihnp4,convex,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!schwager   schwager%uiuc@csnet-relay.arpa
	University of Illinois, Dept. of Computer Science

john13@garfield.UUCP (11/21/87)

In article <7200030@uiucdcsm> schwager@uiucdcsm.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>Surprise!  Decent output
>(doesn't match a laser printer, but who's got $1000+ for a printer?)!

There are lots of them around if you know where to look :-). I've tested
output from Scribble and DPaint (captured using CMD) and WordPerfect
(saved to a file as a printing option) on a LaserJet+. Maybe your university
has one, or you know someone with one at their office (and a modem line in).

Troff? The non-WYSIWYG thing with the cryptic commands? Get real :-).

>(About PageSetter): Second, there's no way to get
>different boxes of text/graphics to move as a group (I don't think).

You can use the coordinate display to line them up (relatively) easily, or
turn on grid-snap so you don't have to worry about that last 1/50".

John
--
"She's sort of a 'pit baby', with interlocking jaws. We feed her on chicken
parts."

schwager@uiucdcsm.cs.uiuc.edu (11/24/87)

> /* Written  9:15 pm  Nov 20, 1987 by john13@garfield.UUCP in uiucdcsm:comp.sys.amiga */
>
> In article <7200030@uiucdcsm> schwager@uiucdcsm.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
> >
> >Surprise!  Decent output
> >(doesn't match a laser printer, but who's got $1000+ for a printer?)!
>
> There are lots of them around if you know where to look :-). I've tested
> output from Scribble and DPaint (captured using CMD) and WordPerfect
> (saved to a file as a printing option) on a LaserJet+. Maybe your university
> has one, or you know someone with one at their office (and a modem line in).

What is CMD?  We've got laser printers at work; the problem is that the basic
PageSetter doesn't print to 'em (they're Imagen!).  No big deal, for $100 I
don't expect it to.

> Troff? The non-WYSIWYG thing with the cryptic commands? Get real :-).

I'm trying :-)!  Let's face it, troff is stone-age text formatting.
Ugh.  But it's got some more powerful commands, I'll give it that.  Even
without the power, I'm happier to use PageSetter because I'm so much more
productive.

> >(About PageSetter): Second, there's no way to get
> >different boxes of text/graphics to move as a group (I don't think).
>
> You can use the coordinate display to line them up (relatively) easily, or
> turn on grid-snap so you don't have to worry about that last 1/50".
>
> John
> --

I realize that.  That's not the question, the question is: I've got all
this stuff (a dozen boxes) lined up just the way I want it.  Now I've
decided I want to put a heading above it, so I want to move it all down
an inch.  Sure, a dozen moves is not much of a problem.  But the really
slick way to do it would be to surround the whole bunch with a big box,
and just one quick and easy move and- voila- thar 'tis!

Pagesetter is really cool, but I'm fresh out of troff... are there other
DTP's that are more powerful, maybe having features like automatic section
numbering and/or automatic page numbering?
That would make it a really professional tool, in my opinion.  Or am I
expecting too much from a DTP?  Maybe that's the job of a word
processor?

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (11/25/87)

In article <7200033@uiucdcsm> schwager@uiucdcsm.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>What is CMD?  We've got laser printers at work; the problem is that the basic
>PageSetter doesn't print to 'em (they're Imagen!).  No big deal, for $100 I
>don't expect it to.

CMD is a program that redirects output to either the parallel or serial
device to a file.  It was posted to comp.amiga.{sources/binaries}, and
may be found on the Fish disks.

Its especially good for printing many copies of the same picture
at shows.

--
andy finkel		{ihnp4|seismo|allegra}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from
 a rigged demo."

phil@titan.rice.edu (William LeFebvre) (11/25/87)

In article <4241@garfield.UUCP> john13@garfield.UUCP (John Russell) writes:

>Troff? The non-WYSIWYG thing with the cryptic commands? Get real :-).

Yeah, get real and start using TeX.  Infinitely better than troff and
gives much better results than any old wimpy WYSIWYG system.
(only half a :-).

Seriously, AmigaTeX is real, and it is really great!  I've got a demo disk
for it and I was very impressed.

			William LeFebvre
			Department of Computer Science
			Rice University
			<phil@Rice.edu>

> > Troff? The non-WYSIWYG thing with the cryptic commands? Get real :-).
>
> I'm trying :-)!  Let's face it, troff is stone-age text formatting.

Troff is a different SORT of program than pagesetter. I wouldn't expect you to
do a fancy newsletter with graphics and images in Troff. On the other hand,
I'd hate to enter a book into Pagesetter. It's like the difference between a
spreadsheet and a programming language. You can write programs in Lotus, but
anything complex will be easier in Modula or 'C'.
--
-- Peter da Silva  `-_-'  ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter
-- Disclaimer: These U aren't mere opinions... these are *values*.