[comp.sys.amiga] Bug? In DTERM? Or Intuition? Or DOS?

I was in DTERM yesterday. I'd just gone into it straight from my normal boot,
and started doing a massive download. Then I went back to the CLI to try
running another program (A Killer Demo, actually), and found that the disk
validator (or whatever it is that recognises you've put in a new disk) had
died. This is the first really massive download I've done in DTERM, and I know
DTERM does some asynchronous I/O, but it shouldn't have done this. On the
other hand, that was the ONLY unusual thing I'd done.

Setup:

	Amiga 1000 with 512K and 2 drives.
	Overscan workbench at 680 by 216.
	Snipit.
	wKeys.
	NewClock.
	Gauge.
	No buffers addbuffered (RAM shortage).
	No extra drivers loaded.
	About 5 files in RAM:c (copy, rename, delete, cd, list).
	Dterm 1.11.
	Kickstart 33.18, Workbench 33.47.
--
-- Peter da Silva  `-_-'  ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter
-- Disclaimer: These U aren't mere opinions... these are *values*.

john13@garfield.UUCP (11/23/87)

--
In article <1098@sugar.UUCP> peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
>Then I went back to the CLI to try
>running another program (A Killer Demo, actually), and found that the disk
>validator (or whatever it is that recognises you've put in a new disk) had
>died.

This has happened to me about 4 or 5 times over the past year. There seem to
be two solutions : either take out and re-insert the disk as many times as are
necessary, the disk validator will eventually be triggered, or just wait - it
seems to come back on its own after a while.

I think the problem is with a forbid()-permit(), possibly by Workbench. Just
start a program that does a forbid() and then sits around for a long time;
the drive clicking will stop, but after a while *all* the clicks will happen
in rapid succession, and after that the drives click normally. This is the
same behaviour I saw when the disk validator took a holiday.

>Setup:
>	Snipit.

Hmmmmm? Never seen this, is it worth posting?

John
--
"Like, bitchin' man! Totally awesome."
		-- Valley Spock

page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (11/25/87)

peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva) wrote:
>Setup:
>	Kickstart 33.18, Workbench 33.47.

You got a pretty old copy of KS! :-)

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@ulowell.edu  ulowell!page
"I've never liked reality all that much, but I haven't found a

dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU.UUCP (11/25/87)

>>Then I went back to the CLI to try
>>running another program (A Killer Demo, actually), and found that the disk
>>validator (or whatever it is that recognises you've put in a new disk) had
>>died.
>
>This has happened to me about 4 or 5 times over the past year. There seem to
>be two solutions : either take out and re-insert the disk as many times as are
>necessary, the disk validator will eventually be triggered, or just wait - it
>seems to come back on its own after a while.

	I thought it was DTERM, but have a habit of running compiles in the
background and found that it was actually the compiles (Aztec V3.4a).. I
know I know! I should get 3.4b ...  it could still be DTERM, of course, and
I would appreciate any and all bug reports!

				-Matt

page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
> peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva) wrote:
> >	Kickstart 33.18, Workbench 33.47.