[comp.sys.amiga] Manx 3.6 & SDB

Lawrence_E_Rosenman@cup.portal.com (11/24/87)

I just got off the phone with MANX Software systems, inquiring on the status
of Aztec C Release 3.6 with the Source Level Debugger (SDB) that they
were promising for late NOVEMBER at the AmiExpo in New York this past October.

Apparently, they talked with the developer today (11/23/87) and he stated
that it would be another 3-4 WEEKS (Meaning Christmas or so) till it
will be ready.

I think that this STINKS.  These people should be Flamed, and flamed heavily
for ADVERTISING, and making face to face claims, and then slipping
them a MONTH or more.

I personally am looking into trading my 3.40B Aztec for Lattice 4.0.

After going through similar stuff waiting for 3.4B, I don't intend to
go through this wait without making myself knowm.

If you want to complain:

According to Camille at MANX, the person to complain to is:
Jim Goodnow II at 415-339-2259.

Thank You for your time!

Larry Rosenman
LER@Cup.Portal.COM
Lawrence_Rosenman@Cup.Portal.COM

page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (11/25/87)

Lawrence_E_Rosenman@cup.portal.com wrote:
>it would be another 3-4 WEEKS (Meaning Christmas or so) till [SDB]
>will be ready.
>I think that this STINKS.  These people should be Flamed, and flamed heavily

Cool down, Larry!  Suppose you have a choice between:
	- SDB today, but with some problems
	- SDB tomorrow, more shaken out
which would you choose?

>I personally am looking into trading my 3.40B Aztec for Lattice 4.0.

I'll bet you'll be flaming when SDB *does* come out -- flaming at Lattice
for not having a source-level debugger today, right?

..Bob (beta testing SDB & 3.6, but no financial interest in MANX/Lattice)
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@ulowell.edu  ulowell!page
"I've never liked reality all that much, but I haven't found a

joels@tekred.TEK.COM (Joel Swank) (11/27/87)

In article <1554@cup.portal.com>, Lawrence_E_Rosenman@cup.portal.com writes:
> Aztec C Release 3.6 with the Source Level Debugger (SDB) that they
> were promising for late NOVEMBER . . .
>
> . . . it would be another 3-4 WEEKS (Meaning Christmas or so) till it
> will be ready.
>
> I think that this STINKS.  These people should be Flamed, and flamed heavily
> for ADVERTISING, and making face to face claims, and then slipping
> them a MONTH or more.

I don't see what a big deal this is.  A month slip is pretty common and
should be allowed for. It's not like you're sitting around waiting with
no compiler. I'm also looking forward to having SDB, but a few weeks
isn't going to make much difference.  A little patience.

Joel Swank
joels@TEK.COM

baer@percival.UUCP (Ken Baer) (11/27/87)

In article <1554@cup.portal.com> Lawrence_E_Rosenman@cup.portal.com writes:
>I just got off the phone with MANX Software systems, inquiring on the status
>of Aztec C Release 3.6 with the Source Level Debugger (SDB)
>Apparently, they talked with the developer today (11/23/87) and he stated
>that it would be another 3-4 WEEKS (Meaning Christmas or so) till it
>will be ready.
>I think that this STINKS.  These people should be Flamed, and flamed heavily
>for ADVERTISING, and making face to face claims, and then slipping
>them a MONTH or more.

Your're missing an important fact, Amiga World published the Manx advertisment
a full month before they were supposed to.  Also consider that magazine ads
have to be submitted a couple of months before they get published (usually),
they probably expected the product to be ready by then.  I am actually
suprised it's going to be ready this soon.  At SIGGRAPH this last summer, I
overheard Leo Schwab ask Jim Goodnow how the Source Level Debugger was coming
along.  He replied, "It's coming along."  I too, am sorry the product got
delayed, I sent my order in last week.  But I don't think it's worth switching
compilers over.  The same thing could as easily happen with Lattice.  And
finally, please don't flame the programmer who's writing the thing, let him
work on it instead of reading flames.  As anxious as I am to get SDB, I'd
rather have a late program that works than a rushed program that is a close
personal friend of the Guru.

--
	-Ken Baer.
   //   Amiga: This is Life in the Fast Lane!

ler@pnet02.cts.com (Larry Rosenman) (11/29/87)

baer@percival.UUCP (Ken Baer) writes:
>In article <1554@cup.portal.com> Lawrence_E_Rosenman@cup.portal.com writes:
>>I just got off the phone with MANX Software systems, inquiring on the status
>>of Aztec C Release 3.6 with the Source Level Debugger (SDB)
>>Apparently, they talked with the developer today (11/23/87) and he stated
>>that it would be another 3-4 WEEKS (Meaning Christmas or so) till it
>>will be ready.
>>I think that this STINKS.  These people should be Flamed, and flamed heavily
>>for ADVERTISING, and making face to face claims, and then slipping
>>them a MONTH or more.
>
>Your're missing an important fact, Amiga World published the Manx advertisment
>a full month before they were supposed to.  Also consider that magazine ads
>have to be submitted a couple of months before they get published (usually),
>they probably expected the product to be ready by then.  I am actually
>suprised it's going to be ready this soon.  At SIGGRAPH this last summer, I
>overheard Leo Schwab ask Jim Goodnow how the Source Level Debugger was coming
>along.  He replied, "It's coming along."  I too, am sorry the product got
>delayed, I sent my order in last week.  But I don't think it's worth switching
>compilers over.  The same thing could as easily happen with Lattice.  And
>finally, please don't flame the programmer who's writing the thing, let him
>work on it instead of reading flames.  As anxious as I am to get SDB, I'd
>rather have a late program that works than a rushed program that is a close
>personal friend of the Guru.
>

>--
>	-Ken Baer.
>   //   Amiga: This is Life in the Fast Lane!
> \X/    USENET - ...tektronix!reed!percival!baer   OR   baer@percival.pdx.com
>"The Few, The Proud, The Criminally Insane - Oberlin Computer Science" - me.

You miss MY point:
    I saw Jim Goodnow II at AmiExpo in New York, and HE said (Face to Face)
that it would be ready at the end of November.  I realize schedules slip, but
DON'T make claims when you can't back them up.

For Example:
   I was calling about Manx 3.4b for MONTHS, and was told IT IS NOT READY
but found out that it was sitting on somebodies desk...

   I just don't want to see this get slipped more.

Larry ROsenman

--
Larry Rosenman
INTERNET:     ler@pnet02.CTS.COM

bilbo@pnet02.cts.com (Bill Daggett) (11/30/87)

It sounds like some of you have Aztec 3.4b.  I talked to Manx several weeks
ago and they SAID they would ship it right to me Blue Label.  I'm still
waiting.  Also, they (she?) indicated that they have suffered a major snafu in
their mailing data base.

 Bill Daggett, a.k.a. *Bilbo Baggins*   Recombinant Hobbit and Sysop of
    * Sometimes The Dragon Wins! *      Bilbo's Hideaway = 213-640-6104
 INTERNET: bilbo@pnet02.CTS.COM
     UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd!crash, ihnp4!scgvaxd }!gryphon!pnet02!bilbo