[comp.sys.amiga] Sonix problem and comments

brent@questar.QUESTAR.MN.ORG (Nordquist) (11/19/87)

I'm having trouble with Sonix... certain instruments, namely HighHat
and most of the IFF instruments on the Data Disk, won't load.  Two
demo scores that are included won't run because they can't load the
instruments they need.

I've checked to make sure that they're in the Instruments directory;
they even show up when you pull down Load on the Instr. menu.  But
when you select them, it says, 'Can't load instrument from disk.'

I'm running a single-drive machine.  I did add 'DF0:' in front of the
name of the Instruments directory when I switched to the Data Disk,
but no luck.  My own scores and instruments load fine from both disks.

Any ideas?

Incidentally, if there are other "serious musicians" (i.e. who've had
some good theory, studied an instrument, etc.) out there who are contem-
plating buying Sonix, I've got some opinions... :-)  Send e-mail and
I'll reply.

glewis@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Glenn M. Lewis) (11/20/87)

	I am sorry that this must travel over the Net.  My host refused to
accept Brent's address as a valid one.  It apparently does not know where
"QUESTAR" is (I don't either).

In article <451@questar.QUESTAR.MN.ORG> you write:
>I'm having trouble with Sonix... certain instruments, namely HighHat
>and most of the IFF instruments on the Data Disk, won't load.  Two
>demo scores that are included won't run because they can't load the
>instruments they need.
>
>I've checked to make sure that they're in the Instruments directory;
>they even show up when you pull down Load on the Instr. menu.  But
>when you select them, it says, 'Can't load instrument from disk.'
>
>I'm running a single-drive machine.  I did add 'DF0:' in front of the
>name of the Instruments directory when I switched to the Data Disk,
>but no luck.  My own scores and instruments load fine from both disks.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Incidentally, if there are other "serious musicians" (i.e. who've had
>some good theory, studied an instrument, etc.) out there who are contem-
>plating buying Sonix, I've got some opinions... :-)  Send e-mail and
>I'll reply.

Brent -
	I don't own Sonix, and this may sound stupid, but I would check to
see you if have enough memory to load in all of those instruments.  It may
not tell you that you are out of memory, even though it is.
	The reason I say this is that if you have a single-drive Amiga, odds
are that you do not have any external memory expansion, and thus, have at the
most, 512K.  Sampled instruments take up a great deal of memory.
	Yes, I consider myself a "serious musician" in my spare time.  I have
played several instruments, have had some "good theory", and enjoy music.
I own DMCS, Pro MIDI Studio, and a CZ-101.  These are fun to play with, but
most of the time I prefer playing a real piano or other instrument, or just
listening to music.
	Hope I did not offend you by the suggestion of lack of RAM.  It was
just an idea.
						-- Glenn Lewis

P.S.  How *do* you like Sonix?  I am planning on getting Music-X from Micro-
Illusions when it comes out (soon, hopefully).

--
glewis@cit-vax.caltech.edu

--
glewis@cit-vax.caltech.edu

jmpiazza@sunybcs.uucp (Joseph M. Piazza) (11/20/87)

In article <451@questar.QUESTAR.MN.ORG> Brent writes ...
[email no find questar]
>I'm having trouble with Sonix... certain instruments, namely HighHat
>and most of the IFF instruments on the Data Disk, won't load. ...

	Yeah, had me confused for awhile too.  There's some system
resource that Sonix needs to load those IFF files.  Try copying one IFF
instrument to a RAM: disk and load that instrument while the System
disk is in the drive.  Once Sonix loads that resource it will continue to
load any succesive IFF files (until reboot, of course).

	I haven't played with Sonix for a while so let me know if it works.
Your mission, Brendt, if you decide to accept it, is to summarize the responses
and post the solution.  :-)

Flip side,

	joe piazza

--- Cogito ergo equus sum.

CS Dept. SUNY at Buffalo 14260
UU: ...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!jmpiazza
CS: jmpiazza@cs.buffalo.edu
BI: jmpiazza@sunybcs

ssd@sugar.UUCP (Scott Denham) (11/30/87)

In article <6678@sunybcs.UUCP>, jmpiazza@sunybcs.uucp (Joseph M. Piazza) writes:
> In article <451@questar.QUESTAR.MN.ORG> Brent writes ...
> [email no find questar]
> >I'm having trouble with Sonix... certain instruments, namely HighHat
> >and most of the IFF instruments on the Data Disk, won't load. ...
>
> 	Yeah, had me confused for awhile too.  There's some system
> resource that Sonix needs to load those IFF files.  Try copying one IFF
> instrument to a RAM: disk and load that instrument while the System
> disk is in the drive.  Once Sonix loads that resource it will continue to
> load any succesive IFF files (until reboot, of course).
>
> 	I haven't played with Sonix for a while so let me know if it works.
> Your mission, Brendt, if you decide to accept it, is to summarize the responses
> and post the solution.  :-)
>
> Flip side,
>
> 	joe piazza

I, too had been troubled by this problem, and I have yet to find a
full solution, 'though I know a bit more about it now. What Sonix is
looking for is the ".tech" files from the Miscellaneous directory. These
apparently contain code segments for handling the three types of .instr
files that Sonix will handle. In their infinite wisdom, the authors have
chosen to disable the requstor system, so anything required from a drive
that's not mounted just gets ignored. Loading an instrument of the right
type from the program disk before switching to the data disk gets things
going fine (but what a sloppy hack) The dratted files even EXIST in the
data disk's INSTRUMENT directory, but to no avail. Guess nobody bothered
to check Sonix out on a one-drive system, eh ??
If I come up with a better solution, I;'ll let you know.

                 Scott Denham

 "insert witty footer here..."