[comp.sys.amiga] Bare Min. for Bootable Disk

matthews@udel.EDU (John Matthews) (11/05/87)

Can someone tell me what files have to be present on a bootable disk.
I am only looking for the BARE MINIMUM.  I am not worried about any
commands or anything; all I want to know is what is necessary to give me
an open window with a CLI prompt?  I don't even care if a StartUp-Sequence
exists. The reason I am asking is that a while back I remember seeing a
note an a magazine saying that if I use the ADDBUFFER command and add as
much memory as possible to the disk cache and then do a COPY command copying
all files from df0: to df1: I would get a disk with files allocated in
a more contiguous manner so that AmigaDOS (alias SuperSeeker) didn't spend
all day reading files.  Well I tried this, and after much disk
grinding I got a disk that wouldn't boot.  Am I doing something wrong?
Do certain files (eg CLI) have to on certain sectors to boot?

It would probably be best to post to usenet seeing as alot of UUCP'ers
aren't able to get mail back to me via e-mail.  I was under the assumption
that uunet & psuvax1 do relay mail to the internet properly.
Anyone that wants to try, go ahead.

John Matthews
4801 Plum Run Court     ARPA:   matthews@udel.edu
Wilmington, DE 19808    BITNET: FFO18429 AT UDACSVM
   (302) 454-1735       UUCP:   {psuvax1,rutgers,sun,uunet}!udel.edu!matthews
                        CSNET:  matthews%udel.edu@relay.cs.net

carolyn@cbmvax.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner CATS) (11/05/87)

In article <672@louie.udel.EDU> matthews@udel.EDU (John Matthews) writes:

>Can someone tell me what files have to be present on a bootable disk.

   No files, but the disk must have the boot code installed via the CLI
INSTALL command.  When you DISKCOPY, the boot blocks are copied from
the original, but since you built your new disk with COPY, you didn't
get them.  Use INSTALL.

Carolyn Scheppner -- CATS   >>Commodore Amiga Technical Support<<
                     UUCP  ...{allegra,ihnp4,rutgers}!cbmvax!carolyn
                     PHONE 215-431-9180

>Can someone tell me what files have to be present on a bootable disk.
>I am only looking for the BARE MINIMUM.  I am not worried about any
>commands or anything; all I want to know is what is necessary to give me
>an open window with a CLI prompt?  I don't even care if a StartUp-Sequence

	INSTALL a blank floppy.  Walla.... a bootable disk, albeit a
	blank one.  You get a default workbench with a default initial
	CLI and a default preferences.

>grinding I got a disk that wouldn't boot.  Am I doing something wrong?
>Do certain files (eg CLI) have to on certain sectors to boot?

	There are a couple of files which you probably want on the boot
	disk, but as far as I know none of them are required.

						-Matt

bobb@tekfdi.TEK.COM (Robert Bales) (11/07/87)

In article <672@louie.udel.EDU> matthews@udel.EDU (John Matthews) writes:

>Can someone tell me what files have to be present on a bootable disk.
. . .
>Well I tried this [a copy procedure], and after much disk grinding I got a
>disk that wouldn't boot.  Am I doing something wrong?

After the copy is done, enter:

	install df1:

to make the disk bootable.

   Bob Bales
   Tektronix, Inc.

I help Tektronix make their instruments. They don't help me make my opinions.

hah@mipon3.intel.com (Hans Hansen) (11/08/87)

In article <672@louie.udel.EDU> matthews@udel.EDU (John Matthews) writes:
$
$Well I tried this, and after much disk
$grinding I got a disk that wouldn't boot.  Am I doing something wrong?
$
No...  Just "Install dfx:" and you are all set.

$John Matthews

Hans

hrlaser@pnet02.cts.com (Harv Laser) (11/30/87)

matthews@udel.EDU (John Matthews) writes:

>Can someone tell me what files have to be present on a bootable disk.

[...remainder deleted]

Sure. I bet you'll get a million replies to this. Just use the AmigaDos
"Install" command on your newly formatted disk.  That'll make the disk
bootable. When it comes up you'll have a white text on blue screen
60 column CLI window staring at you.

|  Harv Laser - Chairman (sysop) The PeopleLink AmigaZone    //    |
|  PeopleLink: CBM*HARV                                    \X/     |
|  UUCP: {ihnp4!crash, hplabs!hp-sdd!crash}!gryphon!pnet02!hrlaser |
|  INET: hrlaser@pnet02.CTS.COM                                    |