[comp.sys.amiga] Sticky Icons

derek1@garfield.UUCP (11/16/87)

[munch][munch][munch][munch][munch][munch][munch][munch][munch][crack]

      Hi guys!

      Remember that possible small bug I may have found in the Workbench?
      Well it exists! I think I'll call it the "Sticky Icons".

      To get a sticky icon, all you gotta do is:

            -select an icon, by holding down the left mouse button, and
                keeping it down so that you are able to drag it.
            -insert a disk. When you insert the disk, a funny looking
                cloud with zz inside it appears. When this appears, let
                go of the icon, by releasing the left mouse button.
            -voila, a sticky icon.

      The icon seems to be stuck to the pointer, because at this point
  you no longer have any mouse buttons pressed. Well everything is okay
  here, but if you try to drag the screen with a sticky icon... guess
  what?! No Mr. Guru, just a very dead computer that requires another
  reset.

  derek1@garfield.UUCP

bryce@hoser.berkeley.edu (Bryce Nesbitt) (11/17/87)

In article <4222@garfield.UUCP> derek1@garfield.UUCP (Derek Scott) writes:

>      Remember that possible small bug I may have found in the Workbench?
>      Well it exists! I think I'll call it the "Sticky Icons"...

This was reported to C= about a year and half ago.  It happens on
V1.0, 1.1 and 1.2.

It could be related to the other Intuition/WB icon locking problem...
if a program like the alarm clock does a WindowToFront() while
the user is holding down an icon, the WB Tool will lock up.

|\ /|  . Ack! (NAK, SOH, EOT)
{o O} . bryce@hoser.berkeley.EDU -or- ucbvax!hoser!bryce
 (")

ncegeber@ndsuvax.UUCP (Roger Egeberg) (11/21/87)

In article <21823@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> bryce@hoser.berkeley.edu (Bryce Nesbitt) writes:
>In article <4222@garfield.UUCP> derek1@garfield.UUCP (Derek Scott) writes:
>>
>>      Remember that possible small bug I may have found in the Workbench?
>>      Well it exists! I think I'll call it the "Sticky Icons"...
>This was reported to C= about a year and half ago.  It happens on
>V1.0, 1.1 and 1.2.
>It could be related to the other Intuition/WB icon locking problem...
>if a program like the alarm clock does a WindowToFront() while
>the user is holding down an icon, the WB Tool will lock up.

Sorry, I missed the previous discussion on this.  I never had my WB lock up
until last night when I got my new 2000 home.  About 40% of the time when I
double-clicked on an icon, nothing would happen.  I'd still be able to move
the pointer around.  When I tried to pull down a menu (by pressing the right
mouse button), then the pointer stopped moving also.  The 'cure' that I found
was to eject the floppy and put it back in.  Then whatever was supposed to
happen after the double-click usually DID happen.

Is this the same problem mentioned in the above posting, and more importantly,
is there a fix for it?   I spoke to my dealer about it and they indicated that
they had had the same problem, occasionally with 500's and with the other 2
2000's that came at the same time as mine.

Roger Egeberg    ncegeber@ndsuvax.UUCP

joels@tekred.TEK.COM (Joel Swank) (11/24/87)

In article <483@ndsuvax.UUCP>, ncegeber@ndsuvax.UUCP (Roger Egeberg) writes:
> About 40% of the time when I
> double-clicked on an icon, nothing would happen.  I'd still be able to move
> the pointer around.  When I tried to pull down a menu (by pressing the right
> mouse button), then the pointer stopped moving also.  The 'cure' that I found
> was to eject the floppy and put it back in.  Then whatever was supposed to
> happen after the double-click usually DID happen.
>
> Roger Egeberg    ncegeber@ndsuvax.UUCP

I had this problem on my 1000. It was an 8520. First I zapped one of
my ports with a static spark. The Amiga wouldn't boot. So I swapped
the 8520s. Then it would boot, but I had the above problem. I lived
with it until a new 8520 came in and I replaced it. I can't remember
if it was the parallel or serial 8520. The strange thing is that
both ports still worked. The static must have just blown a timer or
some other part of the chip. I have killed 2 8520s with static.
I keep a couple on hand now.

Joel Swank
Tektronix, Redmond, Oregon
joels@tekred.TEK.COM

derek1@garfield.UUCP (11/30/87)

In article <483@ndsuvax.UUCP>, ncegeber@ndsuvax.UUCP writes:
> Sorry, I missed the previous discussion on this.  I never had my WB lock up
> until last night when I got my new 2000 home.  About 40% of the time when I
> double-clicked on an icon, nothing would happen.  I'd still be able to move
> the pointer around.  When I tried to pull down a menu (by pressing the right
> mouse button), then the pointer stopped moving also.  The 'cure' that I found
> was to eject the floppy and put it back in.  Then whatever was supposed to
> happen after the double-click usually DID happen.
>
> Is this the same problem mentioned in the above posting, and more importantly,
> is there a fix for it?   I spoke to my dealer about it and they indicated that
> they had had the same problem, occasionally with 500's and with the other 2
> 2000's that came at the same time as mine.
>
> Roger Egeberg    ncegeber@ndsuvax.UUCP

The problem I had was: when a disk was inserted (not WB) and an icon was let
go of when the funny zz cloud appears, a sicky icon would result. I tried
your suggestion by reinserting another disk. Sure enough, the sticky icon
disappeared, but upon the slightest movement of the mouse, it would reappear.
Of course, simply cliking the left mouse button returns the icon back home,
avoiding any trouble, but fooling around with sticky icons on my system has
proven to be fatal.
I can not say though that I have had the problem of double cliking an icon
and then having the problem you mentioned above. (proud owner of A500 :-)
Is there a fix? I hope 1.3 does not inherit it.

  Derek Scott   derek1@garfield.UUCP