[comp.sys.amiga] Commodore 68020

welland@cbmvax.UUCP (Bob Welland) (11/11/87)

I was dissapointed to see that no one who was at the  COMDEX
show reported on the Commodore 68020 board for the A2000. It
was shown in the booth by Dave Haynie (he and  I  where  the
designers). It has some nice features !

CPU, speed      68020, 14.2     Speed in Mhz

FPU speed       14.2, 20, 25    Speed in Mhz
(68881)                         Faster speeds are optional

MMU             Yes             Wonder what this is for ?
(68851)

RAM option      0, 1M, 2M       Numbers in bytes

RAM width       32 bits

RAM cycle       350ns           70ns of the
time                            time is due to the
                                68851 MMU chip.

RAM expansion   Yes
on-board?

RAM is          Yes
auto-config?

Boot ROM's      Yes             64K bytes

A few notes:

The RAM is auto-config so it can be DMA'ed to etc ...

The on boot ROM takes over the system and  so  it  can  play
nice  games before handing things over to AmigaDos (or not).
The 68881 has an optional crystal  that  can  provide  clock
rates  greater  then  14 Mhz (for those floating point junk-
ies). The RAM speed has 2 wait states (one is from  the  MMU
and one is from the DRAM refresh arbitration).

We where showing the board running Sculpt 3-D.

Price and delivery have not been established as of yet.

                                        Robert Welland

All of the above opinions above are mine  ...  they  do  not
represent Commodore in any way.

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (11/14/87)

In article <2720@cbmvax.UUCP>, welland@cbmvax.UUCP (Bob Welland) writes:

> I was dissapointed to see that no one who was at the  COMDEX
> show reported on the Commodore 68020 board for the A2000. It
> was shown in the booth by Dave Haynie (he and  I  where  the
> designers). It has some nice features !

  [...]
> RAM option      0, 1M, 2M       Numbers in bytes
>
> RAM width       32 bits

  [...]
> RAM expansion   Yes
> on-board?
>
> RAM is          Yes
> auto-config?

Can this 32 bit memory be used along with 16 bit memory expansions?
If so, how does it work?  I.e. what determines which type of memory
is used if both types are available to the system.

Also, I seem to remember reading that CSA's Turbo-Amiga has a 12 Meg
limit of 32 bit memory.  How does that work?  Just what are the limits
with a 32 bit system?

Thanks,

Eric Kennedy

In article <5338@cisunx.UUCP> ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) writes:
> In article <2720@cbmvax.UUCP>, welland@cbmvax.UUCP (Bob Welland) writes:
> >
> > I was dissapointed to see that no one who was at the  COMDEX
> > show reported on the Commodore 68020 board for the A2000. It
> > was shown in the booth by Dave Haynie (he and  I  where  the
> > designers). It has some nice features !
> >
> > RAM option      0, 1M, 2M       Numbers in bytes
> > RAM width       32 bits
> > RAM expansion   Yes
> > on-board?
> > RAM is          Yes
> > auto-config?
> >
> Can this 32 bit memory be used along with 16 bit memory expansions?
> If so, how does it work?  I.e. what determines which type of memory
> is used if both types are available to the system.

The memory will auto-config along with any memory on the expansion bus.  It
gets configured first, thus will most likely be at the 200000-3FFFFF spot.
AmigaDOS doesn't have any real preference for this memory, but one could
probably do some tuning by editing the memory list before starting ram-disks
and other low-priority items.

> Also, I seem to remember reading that CSA's Turbo-Amiga has a 12 Meg
> limit of 32 bit memory.  How does that work?  Just what are the limits
> with a 32 bit system?

If the memory is placed outside the normal 16MB space, all you want.  However,
on the current 68020 board we chose to place the memory within the confines
of the normal expansion bus architecture, mostly so that DMA devices can
transfer data directly into the memory, without having to do a programmed
memory-to-memory transfer.

I'm not sure of the 12 MB limit on the CSA board, I'd guess it's some kind
of electrical or loading limit, since they only get a little memory on
each of their static RAM cards.

--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {ihnp4|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!grr
but no way officially representing	arpa: out to lunch...

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (11/17/87)

in article <5338@cisunx.UUCP>, ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) says:

> Can this 32 bit memory be used along with 16 bit memory expansions?

Yes, absolutely, no problem.

> If so, how does it work?  I.e. what determines which type of memory
> is used if both types are available to the system.

This memory looks just like any other FAST memory.  Given that it is, by the
definition of the way we make the Amiga OS see the memory as autoconfig memory,
the first memory card configured, it is also, given the way AllocMem() works,
the first memory to get used when you allocate FAST RAM.  Providing you run
SlowMemLast to get $C00000 out of the way.

> Also, I seem to remember reading that CSA's Turbo-Amiga has a 12 Meg
> limit of 32 bit memory.  How does that work?  Just what are the limits
> with a 32 bit system?

The 68020 is limited to 4 gigabytes, but real-life systems don't give you all
that much.  Our card doesn't offer 32 bit expansion, just the 2 megs on the
card.  I think CSA sticks their memory outside of normal autoconfiguration
space, perhaps up above the 68000 24 bit addressing limit.  CSA provides an
add-on extension connector on their board, but no on-board RAM.  If they're
limited to 12 meg of expansion RAM, that's a limitation of their specific
implementation, not of the Amiga system as a whole.

--
Dave Haynie     Commodore-Amiga    Usenet: {ihnp4|caip|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh
   "The B2000 Guy"              PLINK : D-DAVE H             BIX   : hazy

rusty@vertigo.UUCP (M.W.HADDOCK) (11/17/87)

In article <2801@cbmvax.UUCP> daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:
>in article <5338@cisunx.UUCP>, ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) says:
>>
>> Also, I seem to remember reading that CSA's Turbo-Amiga has a 12 Meg
>> limit of 32 bit memory.  How does that work?  Just what are the limits
>> with a 32 bit system?
>
>The 68020 is limited to 4 gigabytes, but real-life systems don't give you all
>that much.  Our card doesn't offer 32 bit expansion, just the 2 megs on the
>card.  I think CSA sticks their memory outside of normal autoconfiguration
>space, perhaps up above the 68000 24 bit addressing limit.  CSA provides an
>add-on extension connector on their board, but no on-board RAM.  If they're
>limited to 12 meg of expansion RAM, that's a limitation of their specific
>implementation, not of the Amiga system as a whole.

I've had a Turbo-Amiga ever since CSA's first expansion boxes came out
and I've never heard of a 12-Meg limit.  Oh, maybe you mean their Turbo-Tower
which has more slots.  Yes, I just checked and it has 7 Zorro slots so
alloc' 1(one) for the '020 card and the remaining 6 for their 2-Meg static
RAM cards.  At least the my memory cards, Zorro I form-factor, 32-bits
wide data & address, attach to the CPU card via very short ribbon cables
along the sides of the card.  The memory starts at address 0x7f000000,
well above the 68000's address and autoconfig range.  Since I haven't
seen the Turbo-Tower, which is different from the original Turbo-Amiga,
(where do they git these names? :-) I don't know how they may be working
things now.

If you want to know more I'll be glad to answer any questions.

					-Rusty-

DISCLAIMER: I am not connected with CSA 'cept as a satisfied customer.
My problem is that I doubt I could go back to a lowly, 7.16-MHz 68000 Amiga.
Speed withdrawl symptoms, don't ya know...  :-)
--
Rusty Haddock {{uunet!likewise!}cbosgd,rutgers!moss}!vertigo!rusty
AT&T-IS Consumer Products Laboratories - Human Factors Laboratory

hah@mipon3.intel.com (Hans Hansen) (11/18/87)

In article <5338@cisunx.UUCP> ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) writes:

$Can this 32 bit memory be used along with 16 bit memory expansions?
$If so, how does it work?  I.e. what determines which type of memory
$is used if both types are available to the system.

The 68020 and 68030 have two input pins that are used to perform dynamic
bus sizing.  What this means is that the hardware used to decode the
addresses of RAM, ROM, and misc., I/O controllers should/must also
configure these two input pins.  As the 68020 addresses various segments
of the Amiga memory map the size bits are changed to reflect the width
of the memory of controller.  With this arrangement the 68020 can even
use 8 bit wide RAM and ROMs.  The programming model does not change as
the 68020 will adjust its reads and writes depending on the target
address width.

$
$Also, I seem to remember reading that CSA's Turbo-Amiga has a 12 Meg
$limit of 32 bit memory.  How does that work?  Just what are the limits
$with a 32 bit system?

This is only a limit of their RAM boards.  The 68020 can address a full
32 bit address space in each of four modes, (however this feature has
not been used to my knowlege, as 4 GigaBytes of linear 'real' memory
has proven to be enough for now.)

What the 68020 boards do is to treat the Amiga as a 16 MegaByte 16 bit
wide slot within the total address space.  The 32 BitWide 68020 RAM
expansion is made outside of the Amiga 16 MegaByte slot.  So for the
most part while addressing the Amiga slot the dynamic bus sizing is set
to 16 bits, however there are a few I/O ports that most be decoded to
8 bits, i.e., the 8520s are 8 bit devices.

For more info get a copy of the "MC68020 32-Bit Microprocessor User's
Manual" from Motorola.

$
$Thanks,
$
$Eric Kennedy

Your welcome

Hans   hah@inteloa.intel.com

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (11/19/87)

in article <1235@omepd>, hah@mipon3.intel.com (Hans Hansen) says:

> What the 68020 boards do is to treat the Amiga as a 16 MegaByte 16 bit
> wide slot within the total address space.  The 32 BitWide 68020 RAM
> expansion is made outside of the Amiga 16 MegaByte slot.  So for the
> most part while addressing the Amiga slot the dynamic bus sizing is set
> to 16 bits, however there are a few I/O ports that most be decoded to
> 8 bits, i.e., the 8520s are 8 bit devices.

You could size the bus for 8520s if you were starting out from scratch, but
in reality this isn't done.  The main reason is that the 8520s are set up
for 16 bit reads and writes.  One is connected to 68000 data lines 0-7,
the other to 68000 data lines 8-15.  The main reason is that the 68000
doesn't do dynamic bus sizing; it only sizes relative to instruction
width, not device port size.  In fact, it would be impossible on the Amiga
to have the 68020 dynamically size the 8520s to 8 bits.  The reason is the
way the 68020 port devices go up the data bus.  A 32 bit device is connected
to bits 0-31.  A 16 bit device connects to bits 16-31.  And an 8 bit device
connects to bits 24-31.  The entire Amiga system looks like a 16 bit port
to the 68020.

CSA RAM goes outside the normal 16 bit address space of the 68000.  The
Commodore-Amiga 68020 card has fast 32 bit memory that's put in the
normal 68000 address space (it looks just like a normal 2 meg expansion
card to the system).  This has the disadvantage of not permitting more
than the standard amount of RAM under normal conditions.  But it also
allows that memory to be normal FAST RAM (so it gets allocated first),
and it allows 16 bit DMA devices to work with it.

--
Dave Haynie     Commodore-Amiga    Usenet: {ihnp4|caip|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh
   "The B2000 Guy"              PLINK : D-DAVE H             BIX   : hazy
		"I can't relax, 'cause I'm a Boinger!"

shs@ji.Berkeley.EDU (Steve Schoettler) (11/20/87)

In article <177@vertigo.UUCP> rusty@vertigo.UUCP (91341-M.W.HADDOCK) writes:
>  The memory starts at address 0x7f000000,
>
>					-Rusty-

Oops, I was afraid of that.
Does anyone know if CSA has a jumper or switch on the board to change
the base address of expansion memory for the 68020?

It turns out that the best Prolog implementations (to date) are on tagged
architectures.  The current method for implementing Prolog on 32-bit
machines is to use the upper 3 or 4 bits for tag and leave the extra
28 bits for data.  The advantage is you get a tremendous speedup and
use much less memory than if you put the tags in another memory word.
The disadvantage is that pointers and integers can only be 28 bits long.

Thus, if a 68020 board has memory above 0x0fffffff, prolog won't be able
to access it.

To the fellow porting CProlog to the Amiga:  Looks like it may not work
  on a CSA board.  That's too bad because Prolog can use all the speedup
  it can get.

To others who know:
  Can the CSA board be jumpered to use another address space?
  Do other Amiga 68020 cards (like Finally, CBM, ASDG) put memory way
  up there?

I don't intend to start a flame on whether or not one should use extra
address bits for tags.  The implementors of Cprolog and similar systems
made some design decisions and tradeoffs.  I just want to know if they
can be made to work on an Amiga.

-Steve Schoettler

Disclaimer:
  I am not associated with any company currently marketing prolog or
  68020 products.

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (11/23/87)

in article <21872@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, shs@ji.Berkeley.EDU (Steve Schoettler) says:

> In article <177@vertigo.UUCP> rusty@vertigo.UUCP (91341-M.W.HADDOCK) writes:
>>  The memory starts at address 0x7f000000,
>>
>>					-Rusty-

> It turns out that the best Prolog implementations (to date) are on tagged
> architectures.  ...

> Thus, if a 68020 board has memory above 0x0fffffff, prolog won't be able
> to access it.

It's a little more involved that that, Boso!  Anything that uses upper bits
as tagged won't work on any 68020 system that does fully decoded addressing.
So if my memory board is at, say, 0x01000000, it's not going to be at
0x11000000 or 0x21000000, etc. if I'm fully decoding the 68020 addresses.

> To others who know:
>   Can the CSA board be jumpered to use another address space?
>   Do other Amiga 68020 cards (like Finally, CBM, ASDG) put memory way
>   up there?

The Amiga 68020 card doesn't put memory "up there", but like I explained,
it's not the location that matters.  The Amiga board DOES have an MMU.
This would allow you to map "up there" memory "down here", and (what's
more important for tagged systems), MAY let you program memory wrapping, so
your tags don't affect anything (I haven't actually tried this, but I
suspect it would work).

What you really want is the TI LISP chip on a coprocessor card.

--

shs@ji.Berkeley.EDU (Steve Schoettler) (11/24/87)

In article <2844@cbmvax.UUCP> daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:
>in article <21872@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, shs@ji.Berkeley.EDU (Steve Schoettler) says:
>
>> Thus, if a 68020 board has memory above 0x0fffffff, prolog won't be able
>> to access it.
>
>It's a little more involved that that, Boso!  Anything that uses upper bits
>as tagged won't work on any 68020 system that does fully decoded addressing.
>So if my memory board is at, say, 0x01000000, it's not going to be at
>0x11000000 or 0x21000000, etc. if I'm fully decoding the 68020 addresses.

It's exactly that involved, but you have to know something about the
implementation.  The scenerio goes:
    you fetch a 32 bit value.  The upper 4 bits tell you whether it's
    an integer, a pointer, a list, etc.
    If it's a pointer, you MASK OFF the 4 bits (and.l #0ffffffff, d0) and
    access that address.

Yes, its slower, but that's what you have to do to work in cases like you
mentioned.

>The Amiga 68020 card doesn't put memory "up there", but like I explained,
>it's not the location that matters.  The Amiga board DOES have an MMU.
>This would allow you to map "up there" memory "down here", and (what's
>more important for tagged systems), MAY let you program memory wrapping, so
>your tags don't affect anything (I haven't actually tried this, but I
>suspect it would work).

The addition of that hardware might make it possible to eliminate the extra
MASK step.

>What you really want is the TI LISP chip on a coprocessor card.

What I really want is the Berkeley PLM (Prolog Logic Machine) chip
 on a coprocessor card.

By the way, why do you guys keep calling it a COprocessor card?  Isn't it more
like an instead-of-the-main-processor card?  :~)

While we're on the subject (we weren't, but it seemed like a good place to
bring it up), I'm really hoping ASDG's SDP can run other tasks on its 68000
if it's not doing I/O.  It would be really fun to try to convert it to a
"remote" Videoscape spooler or something like that.

>--
>Dave Haynie     Commodore-Amiga    Usenet: {ihnp4|caip|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh
>   "The B2000 Guy"              PLINK : D-DAVE H             BIX   : hazy
>		"I can't relax, 'cause I'm a Boinger!"

Steve Schoettler

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (11/25/87)

in article <21922@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, shs@ji.Berkeley.EDU (Steve Schoettler) says:
>>It's a little more involved that that, Bosco!  Anything that uses upper bits
>>as tagged won't work on any 68020 system that does fully decoded addressing.
>>So if my memory board is at, say, 0x01000000, it's not going to be at
>>0x11000000 or 0x21000000, etc. if I'm fully decoding the 68020 addresses.
>
> It's exactly that involved, but you have to know something about the
> implementation.  The scenerio goes:
>     you fetch a 32 bit value.  The upper 4 bits tell you whether it's
>     an integer, a pointer, a list, etc.
>     If it's a pointer, you MASK OFF the 4 bits (and.l #0ffffffff, d0) and
>     access that address.

Right, in the context of an interpreter.  I was thinking in terms of best
speed, not best implementability, on a typical 68020 system.   So I guess,
if you do it that way, that any extra memory could just be ignored, instead
of causing problems.  However, if you've got the extra mask step, is using
the tagged architecture really that much faster than calling each element
two words instead of one, and storing the tags in the second word.  Certainly
this would eat memory at twice the rate, but the mask operation can't be
much faster than the second fetch, can it?

>>What you really want is the TI LISP chip on a coprocessor card.
>>
> What I really want is the Berkeley PLM (Prolog Logic Machine) chip
>  on a coprocessor card.

OK.

> By the way, why do you guys keep calling it a COprocessor card?  Isn't it more
> like an instead-of-the-main-processor card?  :~)

Well, the current implementation of our 68020 card is in fact an "instead of
the main processor" card.  There's no reason, however, why you could put the
TI, PLM, or a 68020 in that slot and implement it as a real, "works in concert
with the 68000" coprocessor type card, the "Coprocessor" slot facilitates
this type of switching.

--

randy@bcsaic.UUCP (Randy Groves) (11/26/87)

In article <2844@cbmvax.UUCP> daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:

>What you really want is the TI LISP chip on a coprocessor card.
>
>> -Steve Schoettler
>
>--
>Dave Haynie     Commodore-Amiga    Usenet: {ihnp4|caip|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh
>   "The B2000 Guy"              PLINK : D-DAVE H             BIX   : hazy
>		"I can't relax, 'cause I'm a Boinger!"

At the risk of starting religious wars - what you REALLY want is a Symbolics
Ivory chip on a coprocessor card.  Seriously, it is also to a consideration.
Which company gets around to it first will be the question.  Symbolics is
looking at the 386 family pretty heavily for a host for a coprocessor card.
If that comes to fruition in the near future, it is definitely something to
look at - I'd love to have the complete Symbolics Genera environment available
on an Amiga!!

--
-randy groves - Boeing Advanced Technology Center
UUCP:	..!uw-beaver!uw-june!bcsaic!randy     USNail: Boeing Computer Services

cc1@CS.UCLA.EDU (11/30/87)

In article <21922@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> shs@ji.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Steve Schoettler) writes:
>While we're on the subject (we weren't, but it seemed like a good place to
>bring it up), I'm really hoping ASDG's SDP can run other tasks on its 68000
>if it's not doing I/O.  It would be really fun to try to convert it to a
>"remote" Videoscape spooler or something like that.

Gee, a while ago I asked if we could just plug in a 68010 and put unix on
the beast. Realize that it has a mmu and a disk drive connected to it.

                        Michael Gersten