[comp.sys.amiga] What is the status of the A2090?

dclemans@mntgfx.mentor.com (Dave Clemans) (11/25/87)

What is the status of the Amiga 2000 hard disk controller, the A2090?

From what I can tell, other than the ones that came with A2000 dealer
demo systems, none have yet reached the local area (Portland, OR).
Local dealers have big waiting lists, etc.

There are rumors that Commodore has recalled the 2090 to be replaced
with a new version that has a ROM containing autoboot code...

dgc

In article <1987Nov24.144055.2477@mntgfx.mentor.com> dclemans@mntgfx.mentor.com (Dave Clemans) writes:
> What is the status of the Amiga 2000 hard disk controller, the A2090?
>
> From what I can tell, other than the ones that came with A2000 dealer
> demo systems, none have yet reached the local area (Portland, OR).
> Local dealers have big waiting lists, etc.

This possible.  Demand for the "Dealer Demo" systems seems to have
exceeded expectations and may have sucked up most of the available
controllers and bridge cards.  It takes time to get production and
distribution tuned to demand.

> There are rumors that Commodore has recalled the 2090 to be replaced
> with a new version that has a ROM containing autoboot code...

This is not so.* Sure it would be nice if the A2090 incorporated the
autoboot feature, but many people would rather have a hard disk controller
now than wait for one that autoboots.

* to the best of my knowledge...

--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {uunet|ihnp4|rutgers}!cbmvax!grr

jonesjg@xyzzy.UUCP (11/30/87)

In article <2869@cbmvax.UUCP> grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
>In article <1987Nov24.144055.2477@mntgfx.mentor.com> dclemans@mntgfx.mentor.com (Dave Clemans) writes:
>> What is the status of the Amiga 2000 hard disk controller, the A2090?
>>
>> From what I can tell, other than the ones that came with A2000 dealer
>> demo systems, none have yet reached the local area (Portland, OR).
>> Local dealers have big waiting lists, etc.
>
>This possible.  Demand for the "Dealer Demo" systems seems to have
>exceeded expectations and may have sucked up most of the available
>controllers and bridge cards.  It takes time to get production and
>distribution tuned to demand.

I was talking to the local Amiga Dealer about the 2090, and he told me he can't
get any commitments from Commodore about when the 2090 will ship.  To
complete the systems he has already sold that are waiting on controllers
(Like ME ;-)) He has starting looking for a new source of disk controllers.

It looks like he may try to work out some deal with Progressive Peripherals
on their SCSI controller.  Does anyone own a controller from Progressive
Peripherals ?????  If so how well does it work in the 2000 ??

Having never owned a hard disk on an Amiga I would like to know more about
the software that makes everything work. (I'm sure there are others with
these same burning questions !)

1) The device driver (harddisk.device).  I would guess that this must be
   provided by the supplier of the controller ??
   Does the Commodore driver support any NON commodore interfaces ?

2) Using a 3rd party disk controller -- If I get the SCSI controller from
   Progressive Peripherals, with the device driver, will I be able to see
   all the 'harddisk performance enhancements' rumored in 1.3 of the Amiga-
   dos ??

3) Using a 3rd party disk controller -- How would this effect running some
   other operating system (ie. Unix on a 68020 coprocessor card)?
   My guess would be that any 3rd party controller would not be supported
   by commodore, and that for the disk to work with the new OS, I would
   have to either wait on Progressive Peripherals to write a driver for it
   or write my own.  Will this be the case, any speculation ??

4) What other software modules are required for harddisk operation, and
   who provides them.  (ie... formatter, consistency checking programs,
   backup utilities, diagnostics )?

Thanks in Advance

jonesjg@xyzzy.UUCP (Greg Jones) (11/30/87)

In article <407@xyzzy.UUCP> jonesjg@dg-rtp.UUCP () writes:
>I was talking to the local Amiga Dealer about the 2090, and he told me he cannot
>complete the systems he has already sold that are waiting on controllers
>(Like ME ;-)) He has starting looking for a new source of disk controllers.
>
>It looks like he may try to work out some deal with Progressive Peripherals
					       	     ^^^^^^^^^^^
           Sorry I ment Pacific Peripherals, I got the name wrong!

>on their SCSI controller.  Does anyone own a controller from Progressive
							      ^^^^^^^^^^^
								Pacific
>Peripherals ?????  If so how well does it work in the 2000 ??

Having never owned a hard disk on an Amiga I would like to know more about
the software that makes everything work. (I'm sure there are others with
these same burning questions !)

1) The device driver (harddisk.device).  I would guess that this must be
   provided by the supplier of the controller ??
   Does the Commodore driver support any NON commodore interfaces ?
   Where would I get a copy of the Commodore harddisk.device ??

2) Using a 3rd party disk controller -- If I get the SCSI controller from
   Pacific Peripherals, with the device driver, will I be able to see
   all the 'harddisk performance enhancements' rumored in 1.3 of the Amiga-
   dos ??

3) Using a 3rd party disk controller -- How would this effect running some
   other operating system (ie. Unix on a 68020 coprocessor card)?
   My guess would be that any 3rd party controller would not be supported
   by commodore, and that for the disk to work with the new OS, I would
   have to either wait on Pacific Peripherals to write a driver for it
   or write my own.  Will this be the case, any speculation ??
   If I did end up writing my own driver, what information about the
   controller will I need ??