[comp.sys.amiga] CSA 32 memory

flocchini@deneb.ucdavis.edu (0048;0000002402;200;745;53;) (11/26/87)

There has been some discussion regarding how CSA loads their 32 bit
memory into the system. I am currently using a CSA Turbo on the 1000.
I have 1MB of 32 bit ram and 6MB of 16 bit ram. The 32 bit ram does not
autoconfigure. It is added to the memory pool above the normal space
with a command supplied by CSA. As far as I can tell this memory is
accessed first when loading programs. I have run the memory speed test that
appeared on an early Fish disk and with the 32 bit memory enabled the execution
is about 4 times faster. Other programs susch as Tom Rokicki's TeX run
approximately 2 times faster with this memory enabled.

CSA does not at least at the time I received my system (about a year ago)
supply a replacement math library.

I just received the Sculpt 3D 68020/68881 version and there is indeed a
considerable speed increase with this version.

There is mention of 1.3 having a library for 68881. It would be ideal if there
was some way to check for the 68881 and then default to the library specific
for that chip.

As a side note I have been pleased with the support from CSA. Their products
coupled with ASDG's memory board has been a relatively trouble free system.
For me it has kept me with the 1000. I see the 2000 as having some benefits
but with the investment in the 68020 boards etc I see no reason to upgrade.
Again this only reflects my own situation  and my own needs. It is not meant
to rekindle any 1000 , 2000 upgrade wars.

Bob Flocchini
University of California Davis
flocchini @deneb.ucdavis.edu

harald@ccicpg.UUCP ( Harald Milne) (11/28/87)

In article <585@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu>, flocchini@deneb.ucdavis.edu (0048;0000002402;200;745;53;) writes:
> CSA does not at least at the time I received my system (about a year ago)
> supply a replacement math library.

	Thanks for that answer.

> I just received the Sculpt 3D 68020/68881 version and there is indeed a
> considerable speed increase with this version.

	Just what is "considerable". Could you quantify that in terms of
X times? My feeling is the 68020 with 32-bit memory just doesn't buy you
that much in performace with Sculpt 3D, since it is floating point
intensive. (Except of course the speedup of software IEEE emulation!)

> There is mention of 1.3 having a library for 68881. It would be ideal if there
> was some way to check for the 68881 and then default to the library specific
> for that chip.

	I thought the current version 1.2 checked for the presence of which
CPU, and tried a 68881 instruction to see if it was present. Didn't someone
from CBM say that a while ago?

	I was very curious about the mathieedoubbas.library when I got
Videoscape 3D. I did a hex/ascii dump and saw a few extra routines that were
not mentioned in the RKM manuals. Seems to me it would be very TRIVIAL to
simply patch the proper 68881 instruction sequences to accomplish the same
task.

> As a side note I have been pleased with the support from CSA. Their products
> coupled with ASDG's memory board has been a relatively trouble free system.
> For me it has kept me with the 1000. I see the 2000 as having some benefits
> but with the investment in the 68020 boards etc I see no reason to upgrade.
> Again this only reflects my own situation  and my own needs. It is not meant
> to rekindle any 1000 , 2000 upgrade wars.

	Relax. War is a state of mind. It is good to hear some info though!

	Thanks!

--
Work: Computer Consoles Inc. (CCI), Advanced Development Group (ADG)
      Irvine, CA (RISCy business! Home of the CCI POWER 6/32)

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (12/01/87)

in article <6313@ccicpg.UUCP>, harald@ccicpg.UUCP ( Harald Milne) says:
>> It would be ideal if there was some way to check for the 68881 and then
>> default to the library specific for that chip.
> 	I thought the current version 1.2 checked for the presence of which
> CPU, and tried a 68881 instruction to see if it was present. Didn't someone
> from CBM say that a while ago?

Sure is.  The OS checks the CPU type, and if there's a 68881 installed, and
stores these as flags in ExecBase.  I wrote an extremely simple program to
display your CPU configuration awhile back; I'll post it here right away.

--
Dave Haynie     Commodore-Amiga    Usenet: {ihnp4|uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh
   "The B2000 Guy"              PLINK : D-DAVE H             BIX   : hazy