[comp.sys.amiga] Icon for Amy

Isaac_K_Rabinovitch@cup.portal.com (11/27/87)

I've seen a bunch of postings on Icon lately.  Some of it has been about
where to get it.  (What's a FISH disk?  Never mind, I don't want to know.)
Although Icon is public domain, I think the best place to get it is from
the Icon project.  Although it might seem silly to pay $15 for a program
you can download from your local BBS for free, it's worth something to
have the very latest version (there were drastic changes between Ver. 5
and 6) and to get the Icon newsletter.  You also can get all kinds of
good documentations from them, including the 8 Queens book and Grizwold
papers on the language's history and purpose.

I've attached the Icon Project Flyer, which has info and pricing.  They
probably have additional offerings since this blurb was published, a year
ago.
-----Cut here---Cut here----Cut here---Cut here-----Cut here---Cut here----Cut

                      The Icon Programming Language

    Language Features: Icon is a high-level, general-purpose program-
    ming language that is designed for nonnumerical applications.  It
    supports many data types, including variable-length strings,
    lists with several access methods, sets, and tables with associa-
    tive lookup. Storage management is automatic.  Icon has a goal-
    directed evaluation mechanism that allows concise solutions of
    many programming tasks to be formulated easily.  Its high-level
    string scanning facility is comparable to pattern matching in
    SNOBOL4, but Icon allows all language operations to be used in
    the analysis and synthesis of strings.

    Applications: Icon has been used for a wide variety of tasks,
    including text analysis and generation, document formatting, sym-
    bolic mathematics, artificial intelligence, molecular genetics,
    and rapid prototyping.

    Implementations: Icon has been implemented on a wide variety of
    computers running UNIX* ranging from large mainframes to personal
    computers. It also has been implemented for personal computers
    running MS-DOS and for VAX computers running VMS. All of these
    implementations are of the latest version, Version 6.  There are,
    as yet, no implementations of Icon the Macintosh, the Amiga, or
    the Atari ST, although work on these is in progress.

    Availability: The Icon Project at The University of Arizona dis-
    tributes Icon.  The implementation, including the source code, is
    in the public domain; there are no licensing requirements or res-
    trictions on its use. The only charges are those necessary to
    cover the costs of media, documentation, handling, and shipping.

    Documentation: A brief description of Icon is included with all
    distribution packages.  A complete description is contained in
    the book The Icon Programming Language, 313 pages, Griswold and
    Griswold, Prentice-Hall, 1983, ISBN 0-13-449777-5. The list price
    of this book currently is $25.95. It is stocked by many college
    bookstores or can be ordered through any bookstore that handles
    special orders or by telephone directly from Prentice-Hall: (201)
    767-9520.  It also is available from the Icon Project as part of
    a documentation package. See the attached order form.  There have
    been some extensions to Icon since the book mentioned above was
    published. These are described in a report that is included with
    __________________________
    *UNIX is a trademark of AT&T Bell Laboratories.

                                  - 1 -             November 26, 1986

    all distribution packages.

    5-1/4'' diskettes.  Other implementations are distributed on mag-
    netic tape and cartridges.  The prices listed include media. Some
    other formats are available as special orders; if you need a for-
    mat that is not listed below, ask us.

    Delivery Charges: The charges listed below include parcel-post
    delivery in the United States, Canada, and Mexico. Shipment to
    other countries is made by air mail only, for which there are
    additional charges as follows: $5 per diskette package, $10 per
    tape or cartridge package, and $10 per documentation package.
    Commercial express delivery will be provided if authorization and
    an account number to charge is provided with the order.

    Payment: Payment may be made by check or money order, but credit
    card orders cannot be accepted.  Remittance must be in U.S. dol-
    lars, payable to The University of Arizona.  There is a $10 ser-
    vice charge for a check drawn on a bank that does not have a
    branch in the United States.  Payment should accompany the order.
    For organizations that cannot provide pre-payment, purchase ord-
    ers will be accepted, but there is a $5 charge for processing
    such orders.

    The Icon Newsletter: All persons who order Icon will receive the
    next three issues of the Icon Newsletter, free of charge. This
    Newsletter is published aperiodically, three or four times a
    year. It contains information about new implementations, work in
    progress, items of general interest from mail to the Icon Pro-
    ject, and a programming corner that covers various aspects
    related to the Icon language and its use.

    The UNIX Package: The UNIX package listed below includes source
    code, test programs, a library of Icon programs, and documenta-
    tion in both printed and machine-readable form (but not the Icon
    book).  The system can be configured to run on most computers
    with UNIX-based operating systems, including the VAX, Sun Works-
    tation, IBM RT PC, AT&T 3B, and Pyramid.  Since object and exe-
    cutable files depend on the target computer, they are not
    included on the tape.

    The VMS Package: The VMS package contains source code, test pro-
    grams, a library of Icon programs, and documentation in both
    printed and machine-readable form.  Object and executable files
    are included.  It requires VMS Release 4.2 or higher.

    Note: The UNIX and VMS packages contain different system-specific
    configurations and support material. Neither will run on the
    other system.

    The MS-DOS Packages: The MS-DOS implementation of Icon runs on
    computers with 8086/88/186/286-family processors. IBM hardware
    compatibility is not necessary. MS- or PC-DOS Version 2.0 or
    higher is required.  There are both small- and large-memory-model
    implementations. The small-memory model uses 192 kilobytes of
    memory. The large-memory model requires at least 256 kilobytes,
    but runs better with more.  The small-memory model is faster and

                                  - 2 -             November 26, 1986

    more compact than the large-memory model, but it cannot handle
    programs that need large amounts of storage.  It is inadvisable
    to run both the small- and large-memory-model implementations on
    the same computer because of file naming conflicts.

    The source code for MS-DOS is designed to compile under the
    latest version of the Lattice C compiler. It may be possible to
    use other C compilers, but this has not been done yet and cer-
    tainly will require some work: caveat emptor. Test programs are
    included. The distribution is in arc format and hence is suitable
    only for use on MS-DOS systems.

    The Icon program library for MS-DOS is the same for the small-
    and large- memory models and is distributed on a separate
    diskette.

    The PC/IX Packages: The PC/IX implementation of Icon is a small-
    memory-model one that has only 64 kilobytes for data. Source code
    and the Icon program library are distributed separately. The
    source code diskettes contain configuration information and test
    suites for other UNIX installations, such as the IBM RT PC. All
    PC/IX diskettes are written in dump/restore format, which is the
    same format as backup/restore on the RT PC under AIX.

    The XENIX Packages: The XENIX implementation of Icon is for SCO
    XENIX V.  There are both small- and large-memory model implemen-
    tations.  It is inadvisable to run both the small- and large-
    memory-model implementations on the same computer because of file
    naming conflicts.  The Icon program library is distributed
    separately. Source code for XENIX is not yet available.  All
    XENIX diskettes are written in tar format.

    The Porting Package: This package is intended for porting Icon to
    operating systems and computers on which it has not already been
    implemented. Possibilities include the Amiga, the Atari 1024ST,
    and the Macintosh. This version of Icon does not require a
    hierarchical file system. In addition to the source code, there
    are porting instructions and suites of test programs. The distri-
    bution is in MS-DOS ASCII format for ease of file transfer. Indi-
    vidual files are packaged in larger files to reduce the effort of
    file transfer and a C program for unpacking them is included.
    Note: Only 5-1/4'' diskettes are available. Persons requiring 3-
    1/2'' diskettes will need to arrange for conversion.

    The Documentation Package: This package contains a copy of the
    Icon book mentioned above, a description of recent additions to
    the language, a compilation of material from the programming
    corners of previous Icon Newsletters, and other material related
    to programming in Icon.

    For more information, contact

                                  - 3 -             November 26, 1986

            Icon Project
            Department of Computer Science
            The University of Arizona
            Tucson, AZ   85721
            U.S.A.
            (602) 621-6613
            icon-project.arizona@edu     (Internet)
            ... {allegra, cmcl2, ihnp4, noao}!arizona!icon-project     (uucp)

                                  - 4 -             November 26, 1986

                               Order Form

    Ship to:                                      Return this form with payment to:

    Name      ______________________________     Icon Project

    Address   ______________________________     Dept. of Computer Science

              ______________________________     The University of Arizona

              ______________________________     Tucson, AZ   85721

    Telephone ______________________________

    UNIX Icon (9-track magnetic tape)          $25      ________

    UNIX Icon (3M DC 300 XL/P cartridge)       $40      ________

    VAX/VMS Icon (9-track magnetic tape)       $25      ________

    MS-DOS Icon, small-memory model (diskette) $15      ________

    MS-DOS Icon, large-memory model (diskette) $15      ________

    MS-DOS Icon, source code (2 diskettes)     $25      ________

    MS-DOS Icon Program Library (diskette)     $15      ________

    PC/IX Icon (diskette)                      $15      ________

    PC/IX Icon source code (4 diskettes)       $35      ________

    PC/IX Icon Program Library (diskette)      $15      ________

    XENIX Icon, small-memory model (diskette)  $15      ________

    XENIX Icon, large-memory model (diskette)  $15      ________

    XENIX Icon Program Library (diskette)      $15      ________

    Icon Porting System (4 diskettes)          $35      ________

    Documentation Package                      $29      ________

    Other charges (see above)                           ________

    Total                                               ________

                                  - 5 -             November 26, 1986

malibo@arizona.edu (Rob McConeghy) (12/01/87)

In article <1636@cup.portal.com>, Isaac_K_Rabinovitch@cup.portal.com writes:

> I've seen a bunch of postings on Icon lately.  Some of it has been about
> where to get it.   ...  They
> probably have additional offerings since this blurb was published, a year
> ago.
		[stuff]
>     Implementations: Icon has been implemented on a wide variety of
>     computers
	[stuff]
>     as yet, no implementations of Icon for the Macintosh, the Amiga, or
>     the Atari ST, although work on these is in progress.

Implementations for the Amiga, the Mac, and the Atari ST have been completed
and are currently available from the Icon Project at the Dept of Computer
Science at the University of Arizona.