[comp.sys.amiga] CSA Turbo

flocchini@deneb.ucdavis.edu (0048;0000002402;200;745;53;) (11/28/87)

As a followup to my previous posting regarding the CSA 68020/68881
system I was able to time some scenes from Sculpt 3D with and without
68881 support. These timings are done with an Amiga 1000, CSA 68020/68881,
1MB 32bit ram, and 6MB 16 bit ram. 3D refers to the regular distribution of
Sculpt 3D and 3D8 refers to the version offered that utlizes the 68020/68881.

	Scene		3D		3D8
	Apple		00:28		00:14
	Boing		00:30		00:15
	Rocker		39:30		12:36

This may or may not constitute considerable improvement for some. I should
know better than use such a relative term. When I first received the package
I tried the rocker and I knew that the 3D8 package was faster. I hope the
timings help.

In terms of the library support for the 68881 under 1.2 I was basing my
comments on my own observations. The system as received from CSA did not
mention a replacement library for 68881 support. One example that was
sent was a Basic program with some hand code implemented. I am using the
Absoft Turbo Fortran which does support the 68020/68881.

Bob Flocchini
University of California , Davis
flocchini @ deneb.ucdavis.edu

harald@ccicpg.UUCP ( Harald Milne) (12/01/87)

In article <593@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu>, flocchini@deneb.ucdavis.edu (0048;0000002402;200;745;53;) writes:
> As a followup to my previous posting regarding the CSA 68020/68881
> system I was able to time some scenes from Sculpt 3D with and without
> 68881 support. These timings are done with an Amiga 1000, CSA 68020/68881,
> 1MB 32bit ram, and 6MB 16 bit ram. 3D refers to the regular distribution of
> Sculpt 3D and 3D8 refers to the version offered that utlizes the 68020/68881.
>
> 	Scene		3D		3D8
> 	Rocker		39:30		12:36
>
> This may or may not constitute considerable improvement for some. I should
> know better than use such a relative term. When I first received the package
> I tried the rocker and I knew that the 3D8 package was faster. I hope the
> timings help.

	Hmmmmm. The last time tried to do the rocker on a stock amiga,
rendering time was like 15 hours. Your time for rocker falls into my prediction
for floating point acceleration. My upgrade of Sculpt3d claimed 300%
improvement over the previous package. Looks like your improvement for the
versions you have. Settings for rendering make a big difference in rendering
times. I guess I'll have to try again, although I don't like tying my Amiga
up to do this.

	Anybody else tried rendering rocker?

	This is really strange.

--
Work: Computer Consoles Inc. (CCI), Advanced Development Group (ADG)
      Irvine, CA (RISCy business! Home of the CCI POWER 6/32)