[comp.sys.amiga] Number-Crunching -> HELP!!

LAUL@UREGINA1.BITNET (Dennis Robert Gorrie) (11/25/87)

    I have had my A1000 for one year now and just finished paying for it Friday
the 13th (Omen good or bad?)   It has served me well, however I am STILL
DESPERATELY SEEKING programs that do NUMERICAL ANALYSIS, which was the original
use for which I bought the computer.  Unfortunately, software developement
seems quite stagnant in this area.  I have resorted to converting my existing
FORTRAN routines to AC/BASIC (I did not have the time or money for my local
dealer to get AC/FORTRAN).  However I not much of a programer and progress has
been slow.  I would much rather be a lowly end-user.
    What I need is a program that will take data, graph it (both 2 and 3d),
apply functions to the data, linearize it, calculate the least squares best fit
curve, slope, and percent error, and so on.  Printing out the graphs would be
nice.  Such a program would be a real time saver for laboratory quantataive
analysis, as well as numerous other areas.
    I would appreciate any help possible on this subject, and finding a program
like this would be a real life saver.  I have posted this question before, but
the only answer I got was 'maybe MAPLE' but to the best of my knowlege, this
is only a symbolic math program, and has no facilities for statistical/
numerical anlysis of data and graphs, correct me if I am wrong.
Please reply direct.

    - HELP, I am in desperate need of some overwhelming pleasure!

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (11/28/87)

In article <8711250635.AA01059@jade.berkeley.edu>, LAUL@UREGINA1.BITNET (Dennis Robert Gorrie) writes:

>                                                   ... however I am STILL
> DESPERATELY SEEKING programs that do NUMERICAL ANALYSIS, which was the original
> use for which I bought the computer.  Unfortunately, software developement
> seems quite stagnant in this area.
> [...]
>     What I need is a program that will take data, graph it (both 2 and 3d),
> apply functions to the data, linearize it, calculate the least squares best fit
> curve, slope, and percent error, and so on.  Printing out the graphs would be
> nice.  Such a program would be a real time saver for laboratory quantataive
> analysis, as well as numerous other areas.

I also have a need for this capability.  Does anybody know whatever
happened to EGraph?  It looked like a reasonable start at the graphing
end of things.  I wrote to the author but got no response. I checked out
Maxiplan's graphing capabilities, and I'll stick with ruler and graph
paper, thank you.  Not the kind of stuff I'd send in to a technical
journal for publication.

If anybody has a lead to this sort of software, I would suggest posting
it to the net, as I would guess there are quite a few technical people
here who could use it.

Thanks,

Eric Kennedy

hansb@ariel.unm.edu (Hans Bechtel) (11/28/87)

Since it looks like people are interested in 2d and 3d graphing,
I will give everybody a chance for this one...

Call Bob Katz at 505-821-1956 and ask him about it...

He has been working on a program that will be for sale soon, so
ask him about that program and you might find out what you have been
looking for.

(please respond ONLY to him at that number since he does not have an
usenet acct!!)

Hans Bechtel

In article <8711250635.AA01059@jade.berkeley.edu> LAUL@UREGINA1.BITNET (Dennis Robert Gorrie) writes:
>  I have had my A1000 for one year now and just finished paying for it Friday
>the 13th (Omen good or bad?)   It has served me well, however I am STILL
>DESPERATELY SEEKING programs that do NUMERICAL ANALYSIS, which was theoriginal
>use for which I bought the computer.

Have you checked out Dougs Math Aquarium?  Despite the cartoony name, I
got the impression it is a real sleeper, a powerful program that provides
various numerical analysys functions.  Unfortunately, I can't recall the
company name, the're located in Seattle I think.  Perhaps someone on the
net who's seen the package can post some comments.

Keith Doyle
#  {ucbvax,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd  Contel Business Systems 213-323-8170

lauren@cbmvax.UUCP (Lauren Brown CATS) (12/01/87)

Doug's Math Aquarium is published by:

			Seven Seas Software
			35 Cape George Wye
			Port Townsend, WA 98368
			(206) 385-3771

Most anyone who picks up the phone can probably help you.

Lauren Brown      -- CBM   >>Amiga Technical Support<<
                     UUCP  ...{allegra,caip,ihnp4,seismo}!cbmvax!lauren
                     PHONE 215-431-9100