[comp.sys.amiga] hard disk flaw problems

kaz@cadovax.UUCP (Kerry Zimmerman) (11/20/87)

[]

This is a good news bad news story.

The good news was that a friend gave me his spare Fujitsu M2243AS
hard disk drive.  This baby has a formatted storage capacity of
67 megabytes! YUMM.

The bad news is that I can't get it to format with my A2090 controller.
After running prep, booting the system and starting the format, it merrily
formats through cylinder 204.  But, when it gets to 205, format tries,
tries and retries for about fifteen minutes.  Then it finally gives up
saying "can't open Device".

Could anyone answer the following questions to help me use the drive?

1.  I do not have the defect list.  How can I determine the flaws and
    tell them to the Amiga?  There is no utility I've found supplied
    with the controller or with AmigaDos to determine the flaws.
    Format tells you each cylinder it is formatting, but not the
    head, sector or position.

2.  How do you add new flaws to the flaw map?  The prep command is the
    only way I know to enter the flaws, but when you run prep, you must
    reformat the whole disk.  Isn't there a way to add additional flaws
    to the flaw map, should they appear, without using prep?

3.  Why does the format retry so much?  It seems to be wasting its time
    going for fifteen minutes on the same cylinder.  And, why does it
    quit instead of going to the next cylinder?  Shouldn't format just
    decide that the cylinder is flawed, put it in the flaw map and
    go on?

4.  Is there any written documentation on the questions prep asks?
    The controller docs say that prep will ask some questions, but doesn't
    tell you what they are or what they mean.  For example, one question
    prep asks is "pre-comp" cylinder.   It suggests using cylinder 754
    (the highest cylindar).  The Fuji manual doesn't say anything about a
    "pre-comp" cylinder, so I don't know what to use, other than the
    suggested default.  Is this correct?

Please Don't let me down.  I have always received excellent help
here before, and I really want to be able to use the drive.
Thanks a million.

Kerry Zimmerman
#  {ucbvax,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!kaz  Contel Business Systems 213-323-8170
A difference between an amateur and a professional,
is that a professional has the right tools.

rad@masscomp.UUCP (Bob Doolittle) (11/21/87)

In article <1884@cadovax.UUCP> kaz@cadovax.UUCP (Kerry Zimmerman) writes:
>[]
>The good news was that a friend gave me his spare Fujitsu M2243AS
>hard disk drive.  This baby has a formatted storage capacity of
>67 megabytes! YUMM.
>The bad news is that I can't get it to format with my A2090 controller.

I have heard from my local service rep that you can't tell the 2090
about a disk with greater than 50Mb capacity :-(.  Maybe the new FS will
solve this problem (let's hope).  He said you must fool the formatter,
by reducing the number of cylinders to make your disk look like a 50Mb,
then you can at least use that much.

>2.  How do you add new flaws to the flaw map?
>    Isn't there a way to add additional flaws
>    to the flaw map, should they appear, without using prep?

I don't think you can do this under UNIX, either.  You must back up,
reformat, and restore your disk (which is what I did).  Diskdoctor does
work on hard disks (just specify dh0:), and will facilitate your backing
up.  I'm not sure just what diskdoctor does exactly - it finds bad
cylinders, and removes files which reside on them.  My question is, does
it somehow leave the questionable blocks off the free list - giving you
a clean file system?  Or is this just so that all remaining files are
readable so you can grab what's left.  I suspect it removes more files
than it needs to.  I think it trims an entire cylinders worth, rather
than pinning it down the the specific bad block on that cylinder.
Still, better than nothing, and good for the short term.  If you've got
an intelligent backup program that won't choke on bad blocks (MRbackup
1.3 fails here) you're better off.

>3.  Why does the format retry so much?  It seems to be wasting its time
>    going for fifteen minutes on the same cylinder.  And, why does it
>    quit instead of going to the next cylinder?
I think this is all due to the 50Mb limit.  Not a particularly graceful
or informative error message :-|.

--
Once in a while
you get shown the light		UUCP Address:

kaz@cadovax.UUCP (11/24/87)

In article <2605@masscomp.UUCP> rad@masscomp.UUCP (Bob Doolittle) writes:
>In article <1884@cadovax.UUCP> kaz@cadovax.UUCP (Kerry Zimmerman) writes:
>
>I have heard from my local service rep that you can't tell the 2090
>about a disk with greater than 50Mb capacity :-(.

Is this TRUE???  There is no documented limitation of 50Mb I have heard
or read about.  Could someone at Commodore please confirm or deny this?

>>3.  Why does the format retry so much?  It seems to be wasting its time
>>    going for fifteen minutes on the same cylinder.  And, why does it
>>    quit instead of going to the next cylinder?
>I think this is all due to the 50Mb limit.  Not a particularly graceful
>or informative error message :-|.

I don't think if there is such a limit, that that is my problem.  Cylindar
205 is only about 18Mb into the drive.  There are a total of 754 cylindars
with 11 heads each on this drive, so I am nowhere near 50Mb when format
starts having trouble.

Thanks for your response, Bob, but I hope more answers to the original
posting are forthcomming.

In article <1888@cadovax.UUCP> kaz@cadovax.UUCP (Kerry Zimmerman) writes:
> In article <2605@masscomp.UUCP> rad@masscomp.UUCP (Bob Doolittle) writes:
> >In article <1884@cadovax.UUCP> kaz@cadovax.UUCP (Kerry Zimmerman) writes:
> >
> >I have heard from my local service rep that you can't tell the 2090
> >about a disk with greater than 50Mb capacity :-(.
> >

> Is this TRUE???  There is no documented limitation of 50Mb I have heard
> or read about.  Could someone at Commodore please confirm or deny this?

The current filesystem limitations are 56 MB per >>>> PARTITION <<<<
and the A2090 controller supports drives with up to 8 heads.  The first
item establishs an implicit limitation of file size, the second excludes
some of the previouly exotic 16-head drives that are finally showing up
in retail/surplus channels.  You should still be able to use them with
in SCSI flavor or with a SCSI adaptor.

--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {uunet|ihnp4|rutgers}!cbmvax!grr

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (11/25/87)

In article <1888@cadovax.UUCP> kaz@cadovax.UUCP (Kerry Zimmerman) writes:
>In article <2605@masscomp.UUCP> rad@masscomp.UUCP (Bob Doolittle) writes:
>>In article <1884@cadovax.UUCP> kaz@cadovax.UUCP (Kerry Zimmerman) writes:
>>
>>I have heard from my local service rep that you can't tell the 2090
>>about a disk with greater than 50Mb capacity :-(.

Actually, the current file system limits you to 54meg per partition,
not per disk.  You can have multiple partitions on a disk.

And, especially as DiskDoctor currently needs 2 meg of ram per
20 meg of partition to work, there are additional uses
of smaller partitions.

>Is this TRUE???  There is no documented limitation of 50Mb I have heard
>or read about.  Could someone at Commodore please confirm or deny this?
>

>>>3.  Why does the format retry so much?  It seems to be wasting its time
>>>    going for fifteen minutes on the same cylinder.  And, why does it
>>>    quit instead of going to the next cylinder?

The hard disk device tries a block 50 (or so) times (write/read/verify) before
deciding its useless and adding it to the bad block table.

It shouldn't quit, unless its filled up the first 2 cylinders with
bad blocks.  Probably something else is wrong;
>>I think this is all due to the 50Mb limit.  Not a particularly graceful
>>or informative error message :-|.
>>

>I don't think if there is such a limit, that that is my problem.  Cylindar
>205 is only about 18Mb into the drive.  There are a total of 754 cylindars
>with 11 heads each on this drive, so I am nowhere near 50Mb when format
>starts having trouble.

Ah...the controller card supports drives of up to 8 heads.  11 is right
out.
--
andy finkel		{ihnp4|seismo|allegra}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from
 a rigged demo."

steve@etn-rad.UUCP (Steve Childress) (11/28/87)

In article <1888@cadovax.UUCP> kaz@cadovax.UUCP (Kerry Zimmerman) writes:
>In article <2605@masscomp.UUCP> rad@masscomp.UUCP (Bob Doolittle) writes:
>>In article <1884@cadovax.UUCP> kaz@cadovax.UUCP (Kerry Zimmerman) writes:
>>
>>I have heard from my local service rep that you can't tell the 2090
>>about a disk with greater than 50Mb capacity :-(.
>>

>I don't think if there is such a limit, that that is my problem.  Cylindar
>205 is only about 18Mb into the drive.  There are a total of 754 cylindars
>with 11 heads each on this drive, so I am nowhere near 50Mb when format
>starts having trouble.

Don't know if this'll help, but:

I wrote a device driver, from scratch (whew!) to interface a Western Digital
disk controller to which there are attached (1) a Syquest cartridge winchester
and (2) an Atasi 40MB drive.

Now in the Western Digital (WD) controllers, there can be at most 8 heads, but
the cylinder numbers can extend to 2**16 because there are two, 8-bit registers.

In the systems we're discussing, someone could, perhaps, truncate the high 8
bits of the cylinder no. in the driver.

As far as I know, AmigaDOS can support a disk with 2**32 bytes of storage, per
partition. Using MOUNTLIST, you can establish several physical partitions on
the single physical drive, thus accomodating a drive with more than 2**32 bytes.

				steve childress
				...wlbr!etn-rad!steve   818/706-5247

farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) (11/29/87)

In article <310@etn-rad.UUCP> steve@etn-rad.UUCP (Steve Childress) writes:
>Now in the Western Digital (WD) controllers, there can be at most 8
>heads, but the cylinder numbers can extend to 2**16 because there are
>two, 8-bit registers.

I have been lead to believe (through discussions on comp.sys.att), that
there is a new WD controller, for the most part pin-compatible with the
existing chip, which will allow 9 head operation.  Several people have
reported using this to allow their AT&T 7300's, which are normally limited
to 67Meg formatted capacity disks, to fully utilize a 130Meg disk.

It might be an interesting exercise to see if the 2090 could be adapted
to use one of these new chips.

--
----------------
Michael J. Farren      "... if the church put in half the time on covetousness

sns@acp.UUCP (12/03/87)

In article <2859@cbmvax.UUCP>, grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:

> The current filesystem limitations are 56 MB per >>>> PARTITION <<<<

Actually, the maximum partition size is :-
  26  bitmap block ptrs
* 127 long-words per bitmap block
* 32  bits per bitmap block
------
105664 blocks/partition = about 52Mb (51.6Mb)

My company has developed a hard disk subsystem for the Amiga using SCSI.

The driver scans the SCSI bus to look for active hard disks. It then constructs
device tables for each hard disk, and for large drives (e.g. over 52Mb) it
breaks the drive down into a number of logic partitions. The nice thing
about doing it this way is the end-user can ignore the whole problem of
device & partition sizes. For example, if a 100Mb drive and a 20Mb drive is
connected (as on my work Amiga-2000), then three logical partitions are
created.

This seems to be a workable solution to the partition & mountlist problems.

sssss  n   n  sssss    Stuart Nixon           (Australian Computer Products)
s      nn  n  s        Phone:   +61 9 322 6497
sssss  n n n  sssss    Usenet:  ...{decvax,hplabs}!munnari!acp.oz!sns
    s  n  nn      s    ARPAnet: sns%acp.oz@seismo.css.gov
sssss  n   n  sssss    ACSnet:  sns@acp.oz