[comp.sys.amiga] Hard Disk recovery/check programs

cks@radio.UUCP (11/18/87)

[Take this line, oh line eater, and leave my hard drive alone.]

 There's got to be a better way of recovering crashed HDs than
DiskDoctor. I've had two fail on me now (both times I was writing to
the disk when the system guru'd), and each time DiskDoctor has barfed
royally and wound up moving around, deleting, and generally fouling up
about half the disk, all of which leaves me very mistrustful of either
DiskDoctor's accuracy or the normal state of my HDs.

 So ... *does* anyone have a better way of recovering HDs than
DiskDoctor, Sectorama, and disked? Alternatively, does anyone have a
program that checks a filing system for integrity and tells you what's
wrong without trying to fix it (so I could go in with disked and fix
stuff up)? Source is preferred, but binaries are OK.

[Mail me a copy of your reply; news is flaky out here. I'll summarize if
 there is interest, of course]
--
	"Hey, that's why Dad moved to Colorado. He sits Zen now.  Me, I like
	 the mountains."

schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) (11/23/87)

In article <580@radio.toronto.edu> cks@radio.toronto.edu (Chris Siebenmann) writes:

> There's got to be a better way of recovering crashed HDs than
>DiskDoctor.
  There is!

> So ... *does* anyone have a better way of recovering HDs than
>DiskDoctor.
  Use DiskSalv. Its on a Fish disk (sorry I don't have the # handy). It works
  with hard drives and unlike DiskDoctor does NOT fool with the original disk.

>Chris Siebenmann		{allegra,mnetor,decvax,pyramid}!utgpu!radio!cks

--
   Dan Schein		 uucp: {ihnp4|allegra|burdvax|rutgers}!cbmvax!schein
   Commodore AMIGA			Bix: dschein	     Plink: Dan*CATS

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (11/23/87)

in article <2836@cbmvax.UUCP>, schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) says:
> In article <580@radio.toronto.edu> cks@radio.toronto.edu (Chris Siebenmann) writes:
>>
>> There's got to be a better way of recovering crashed HDs than
>>DiskDoctor.
>   There is!
>>
>> So ... *does* anyone have a better way of recovering HDs than
>>DiskDoctor.
>   Use DiskSalv. Its on a Fish disk (sorry I don't have the # handy). It works
>   with hard drives and unlike DiskDoctor does NOT fool with the original disk.

Uhhh, well, uhhh, that's half right (as opposed to half wrong, of course).  The
latest released DiskSalv, V1.0, doesn't muck with your original disk, and it's
often much smarter than DiskDoctor.  Unfortunately, it also doesn't work with
hard drives, at least without being modified (the source is available, too).
It was written under 1.1 (works flawlessly under 1.2, of course), and at a
time when I didn't know anything about DosBase and device description vectors
(the clever observer will notice that I know do know about these things, and
a real, supports hard drives and other 1.2 stuff will eventually be forthcoming,
maybe around the time 1.3 ships...).

I'm a busy puppy these days.

>>Chris Siebenmann		{allegra,mnetor,decvax,pyramid}!utgpu!radio!cks
>    Dan Schein		 uucp: {ihnp4|allegra|burdvax|rutgers}!cbmvax!schein
>    Commodore AMIGA			Bix: dschein	     Plink: Dan*CATS

BTW, DiskSalv is MY program, not Commodore-Amiga's, so Dan's not confusing
something that he's supposed to know about or anything like that.
--
Dave Haynie     Commodore-Amiga    Usenet: {ihnp4|caip|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh
   "The B2000 Guy"              PLINK : D-DAVE H             BIX   : hazy

phils@tekig.TEK.COM (Phil Staub) (11/25/87)

In article <2836@cbmvax.UUCP> schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) writes:
<In article <580@radio.toronto.edu> cks@radio.toronto.edu (Chris Siebenmann) writes:
<>
<> There's got to be a better way of recovering crashed HDs than
<>DiskDoctor.
<  There is!
<>
<> So ... *does* anyone have a better way of recovering HDs than
<>DiskDoctor.
<  Use DiskSalv. Its on a Fish disk (sorry I don't have the # handy). It works
                                                                      ^^^^^^^^
<  with hard drives and unlike DiskDoctor does NOT fool with the original disk.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
<
<>Chris Siebenmann		{allegra,mnetor,decvax,pyramid}!utgpu!radio!cks
<
<
<--
<   Dan Schein		 uucp: {ihnp4|allegra|burdvax|rutgers}!cbmvax!schein
Now where did I put that spare 20Mb hard drive to use as the DiskSalv output
disk?

8-).

Phil
Phil Staub                     "I do NOT approve. I merely said I UNDERSTAND."
tektronix!tekigm2!phils                                              - Spock
phils@tekigm2.TEK.COM

schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) (11/30/87)

In article <615@tekig.TEK.COM> phils@tekig.UUCP (Phil Staub) writes:
>In article <2836@cbmvax.UUCP> schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) writes:
><In article <580@radio.toronto.edu> cks@radio.toronto.edu (Chris Siebenmann) writes:
><>
><> There's got to be a better way of recovering crashed HDs than
><>DiskDoctor.
><  There is!
><>
><> So ... *does* anyone have a better way of recovering HDs than
><>DiskDoctor.
><  Use DiskSalv. Its on a Fish disk (sorry I don't have the # handy). It works
>                                                                      ^^^^^^^^
><  with hard drives and unlike DiskDoctor does NOT fool with the original disk.
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
><
><>Chris Siebenmann		{allegra,mnetor,decvax,pyramid}!utgpu!radio!cks
><
><
><--
><   Dan Schein		 uucp: {ihnp4|allegra|burdvax|rutgers}!cbmvax!schein
>Now where did I put that spare 20Mb hard drive to use as the DiskSalv output
>disk?
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

 Use the one you use for backing up your hard drive. What you use floppies too
 backup your hard disk? Sorry to hear that. Let me suggest the 2 drive method,
 `copy dh0: dh1: all' is real nice :-)

>8-).
>
>Phil Staub                     "I do NOT approve. I merely said I UNDERSTAND."

--
   Dan Schein		 uucp: {ihnp4|allegra|burdvax|rutgers}!cbmvax!schein
   Commodore AMIGA			Bix: dschein	     Plink: Dan*CATS
   1200 Wilson Drive			phone: (215) 431-9100	   ext. 9542
   West Chester PA 19380
   All spelling mistakes are a result of my efforts to avoid education  :-)
        I help Commodore by supporting the AMIGA. Commodore supports
         me by allowing me to form my own suggestions and comments.

Has anynbody tried to use DiskSalv on a drive with 2 partitions?  One goes bad
then I do Disksalv dh0: dh0b:. Will it work?

-- Marco

page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (12/02/87)

papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) wrote:
>Has anynbody tried to use DiskSalv on a drive with 2 partitions?  One goes bad
>then I do Disksalv dh0: dh0b:. Will it work?

The current version of DiskSalv (1.0, April '86, Fish disk #20) will
only disksalv from one 3.5" floppy (trackdisk.device) to another.

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@ulowell.edu  ulowell!page
"I've never liked reality all that much, but I haven't found a

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (12/03/87)

in article <5473@oberon.USC.EDU>, papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) says:

> Has anynbody tried to use DiskSalv on a drive with 2 partitions?  One goes bad
> then I do Disksalv dh0: dh0b:. Will it work?
>
> -- Marco

That would work, IF DiskSalv supported hard disk.  It doesn't; the code will
assume an 80 track device that starts at block 0 on the trackdisk.device, so
a hard disk can't be used easily.  The output is done at the DOS level, so
that wouldn't be a problem.  Hopefully there will be a DiskSalv out before
too long that supports hard disk correctly.

--
Dave Haynie     Commodore-Amiga    Usenet: {ihnp4|uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh