[comp.sys.amiga] 68020 and 68881???????

870646c@aucs.UUCP (12/01/87)

I am just wondering one thing about these 68020+68881 cards, just how fast
are they compared to the normal A1000/2000? I have used a MACII and found
the speed increase to be impressive to say the least. Does anyone have any
benchmarks handy? Also is there any problems when trying to run the normal
graphic software (ie demos, paint prgs., etc).
later
Barry

johng@trwind.TRW.COM (John Greene) (12/04/87)

In article <606@aucs.UUCP> 870646c@aucs.UUCP (barry comer) writes:
>I am just wondering one thing about these 68020+68881 cards, just how fast
>are they compared to the normal A1000/2000? I have used a MACII and found

According to a Finally Technologies newsletter, they produce a Hurricane
Accelerator board that consists of a 68020, 68881, and 2 Meg of 32 bit memory.
It comes with only the sockets, you provide the ICs.  They say that it runs
all *standard* amiga software packages including PHASAR, Sculpt 3D, Maxiplan,
and even AmigaBasic.
    Most software runs from 4 to 8 times faster.  Floating point intensive
applications run 100X faster by using the 68881.

The board with sockets for the 68020 and the 68881 is $595.  The memory board
for the 2Mb of ram with sockets is $495.  The memory board mounts directly to
the CPU board inside the machine and works in conjunction with any memory
presently installed in the amiga.

If anyone is at all interested, here is the address and phone:

		Finally Technologies
		25 Van Ness, Suite 550
		San Francisco, CA
		94102
		(415) 621-5670

--
John E. Greene    "People are just like frankfurters....You have to decide
                   if you're going to be a hot dog or just another wiener" DLR