[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga Common Lisp?

berry@stsci.EDU (Jim Berry) (11/25/87)

Does anyone know of an Amiga Common Lisp?  If so, any information/comments
would be appreciated (email, of course).

Jim Berry                         | UUCP:{arizona,decvax,hao}!noao!stsci!berry
Space Telescope Science Institute | ARPA:   berry@stsci.edu
Baltimore, Md. 21218              | SPAM:   SCIVAX::BERRY, KEPLER::BERRY

jgh2@cisunx.UUCP (John G. Hardie) (11/30/87)

Tried to reply directly, but system spit up on me.

> Does anyone know of an Amiga Common Lisp?  If so, any information/comments
> would be appreciated (email, of course).

Metacomco/Commodore lisp is a dialect of common lisp (more or less).  I have
an ANCIENT version (JAN 86 - v1.0) of this, but haven't had any problems
with it.  I would upgrade, but I just bought it to play with, so that isn't
a pressing need.  I suspect that the version currently available is much
better.  If you decide to go this route, I would appreciate a note letting
me know what is in the package (if it is vastly improved, I'll have to dig
up the cash for an upgrade).

The only irritating thing about this lisp (mildly since I don't do it often)
is that system calls are a real pain in the a** to implement.  I tried
for a while, then gave up. ( I didn't really try very hard :-)

Hope that this helps.

> Jim Berry

John.

--
John G. Hardie			UUCP:	jgh2@cisunx.UUCP
Dept. of Physics, 		-or-	jgh2@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu@pitt

daniels@parcvax.Xerox.COM (Andrew M. Daniels) (12/04/87)

In article <5731@cisunx.UUCP> jgh2@cisunx.UUCP (John G. Hardie) writes:
>Metacomco/Commodore lisp is a dialect of common lisp (more or less).  I have
>an ANCIENT version (JAN 86 - v1.0) of this, but haven't had any problems

Sorry, but the Commodore/Metacomco stuff is most emphatically NOT Common
Lisp.  It is based on something called "Standard Lisp" that originated at
the University of Utah. With some work (SMOP!) you could make it look super-
fically like Common Lisp, but the lack of lexical closures will keep it from
really being a Common Lisp.