[comp.sys.amiga] Abel Hardware Supply **Flame??**

bact@ssc-vax.UUCP (Archie A. Auxter) (11/25/87)

In Article 11105, Steve Costa Writes:

> Further note:  the best upgrade offer I saw was _ALMOST_ Abel supply.  They
> wanted to offer the upgrade for $868, plus $10 to keep your A1000.
> Unfortunately, they are having some kind of squabble with Commodore that I
> don't full understand, and it seems doubtful if they are ever going to
> carry the A2000.  So I had to go elsewhere for a higher price, since time
> is running out.  What a drag!!

Here is my experience with Abel:

I ordered a Microbotics Starboard II from Abel almost 2 ***MONTHS*** ago. I
was assured that I would have it in 2 ***DAYS***.  I have spent around $25.00
in long distance telephone calls over the past 2 months trying to find out
where my Starboard was.

The Moral of the above two stories is:

Abel always seems to have the best prices around.  Abel always seems to have
a hard time delivering what they ***SAY*** they can ***DELIVER***.  If you
are thinking about ordering something from Abel, I would consider looking elsewhere
as you may never see the product!!!

/*****************************************************************************/
*  "...You can't always get what you want...", Rolling Stones                */
/*****************************************************************************/
I'm David, not Archie - haven't got my own login yet ...

slc@hoptoad.uucp (Steve Costa) (11/26/87)

In article <1543@ssc-vax.UUCP> bact@ssc-vax.UUCP (Archie A. Auxter) writes:
>In Article 11105, Steve Costa Writes:
>
>> Further note:  the best upgrade offer I saw was _ALMOST_ Abel supply.  They
>> wanted to offer the upgrade for $868, plus $10 to keep your A1000.
>> Unfortunately, they are having some kind of squabble with Commodore that I
>> don't full understand, and it seems doubtful if they are ever going to
>> carry the A2000.  So I had to go elsewhere for a higher price, since time
>> is running out.  What a drag!!
>
>Here is my experience with Abel:
>
>I ordered a Microbotics Starboard II from Abel almost 2 ***MONTHS*** ago. I
>was assured that I would have it in 2 ***DAYS***.  I have spent around $25.00
>in long distance telephone calls over the past 2 months trying to find out
>where my Starboard was.
>
>I'm David, not Archie - haven't got my own login yet ...

Fortunately, my experience with Abel has been excellent: I have ordered
software several times, and received it in about 3 days. I haven't ordered
hardware, but a friend ordered a two meg ram board (not the Starboard II)
and received it immediately.

Homever, I'm not trying to minimize your frustration. I'm sure I would be
just as angry. I can only speculate that the particular product you want
is difficult to stock (??). As to their excuse for promising what they
can't deliver ...????

sdl@linus.UUCP (Steven D. Litvintchouk) (11/27/87)

Posting-Front-End: GNU Emacs 18.47.1 of Sun Aug  2 1987 on linus (berkeley-unix)

In article <1543@ssc-vax.UUCP> bact@ssc-vax.UUCP (Archie A. Auxter) writes:

> Abel always seems to have the best prices around.  Abel always seems to have
> a hard time delivering what they ***SAY*** they can ***DELIVER***.  If you
> are thinking about ordering something from Abel, I would consider looking elsewhere
> as you may never see the product!!!

This hasn't been my experience with Abel, at least as far as software
is concerned.  I ordered Aegis Draw Plus from Abel.  They only charged
me $145 for it (and I believe their price is even lower now).  It
arrived within three days, in perfect shape.

Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation
Burlington Road
Bedford, MA  01730

Fone:  (617)271-7753
ARPA:  sdl@mitre-bedford.arpa
UUCP:  ...{cbosgd,decvax,genrad,ll-xn,philabs,security,utzoo}!linus!sdl

chekmate@athena.mit.edu (Adam Kao) (11/28/87)

I ordered an Escort ram expansion from Abel last summer.  Apparently
they got confused as to whether I wanted it sent UPS or Federal
Express 2nd day.  So they sent it Federal Express and charged me for
UPS.  I have no complaints about Abel.

Adam

ins_adjb@jhunix.UUCP (11/30/87)

	I also had a problem with Abel Supply when I ordered a
Starboard II.  I was promised the Starboard within a week.  I
called a week later, and they had LOST my order.  So I cancelled
my order.

	Two weeks after that, the Starboard arrived anyway.  (They
must have "unlost" my order by accident.)  I refused to accept the
package and it was sent back.  Abel billed me for the unit, but after
a few phone calls they have (supposedly) removed the charge from my
Master Card.

	By the way... Abel shipped the Starboard2 in its original
box, with NO protective padding at all.
---
Dan Barrett	ins_adjb@jhunix.UUCP
		barrett@hopkins-eecs-bravo.arpa

pds@quintus.UUCP (Peter Schachte) (12/01/87)

I bought an Insider board from Abel about a month ago.  It came exactly
when they said it would.  I had them ship it UPS second day air.  I
called them on a Monday, and had the package on Thursday.  I was very
happy with them.--
-Peter

mxk4585@ritcv.UUCP (Mike Kirkpatrick) (12/02/87)

>In article <1543@ssc-vax.UUCP> bact@ssc-vax.UUCP (Archie A. Auxter) writes:
>
>> Abel always seems to have the best prices around.  Abel always seems to have
>> a hard time delivering what they ***SAY*** they can ***DELIVER***.  If you
>> are thinking about ordering something from Abel, I would consider looking elsewhere
>> as you may never see the product!!!

My experience with Abel Supply has been excellent and always have received the
products I ordered for in three days. The people there are quite helpful and
seem to know what they are talking about compared to other mail order places
I have dealt with. I ordered a StarBoard Adapter and Prodrives from them along
with some software programs at different times and was suprised how quickly I
got them. I believe they have the best all around prices for a majority of the
software and hardware that is available and would strongly recommend them.

One more comment here though, their phones are usually quite busy so if you get
a busy signal, just keep trying. Its tough getting through at times but well
worth the effort. They also have a BBS board you can dial into and get a list-
ing of prices and place an order then also. The BBS number is usually not busy
most of the time and its the best way to get a hardcopy of their prices for
review before you place the order at a later time.

Mike Kirkpatrick

#------------------------------------------------------------------------------#
| UUCP:    {allegra,seismo}!rochester!ritcv!mxk4585			       |
| ARPANET: mxk4585%rit@csnet-relay		      "Amiga is IT"            |
| BITNET:  mxk4585@ritvax.bitnet                                               |
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------#

stever@videovax.Tek.COM (Steven E. Rice, P.E.) (12/03/87)

In article <826@ritcv.UUCP>, Mike Kirkpatrick (mxk4585@ritcv.UUCP) writes:

> . . .

> My experience with Abel Supply has been excellent . . .

> One more comment here though, their phones are usually quite busy so if
> you get a busy signal, just keep trying. Its tough getting through at
> times but well worth the effort. They also have a BBS board you can dial
> into and get a list- ing of prices and place an order then also. The BBS
> number is usually not busy most of the time and its the best way to get
> a hardcopy of their prices for review before you place the order at a
> later time.

Alright, already, I'm just about to expire from curiosity!  What are the
phone numbers (voice and data) for Abel Supply???

					Steve Rice

new: stever@videovax.tv.Tek.com
old: {decvax | hplabs | ihnp4 | uw-beaver}!tektronix!videovax!stever

rick@oresoft.UUCP (12/04/87)

In article <4710@videovax.Tek.COM> stever@videovax.Tek.COM (Steven E. Rice, P.E.) writes:
>Alright, already, I'm just about to expire from curiosity!  What are the
>phone numbers (voice and data) for Abel Supply???

Voice:  (615) 428-5100
Data:   (615) 453-0643

--

Rick Lahrson  ...tektronix!oresoft!rick

Disclaimer:  If I ever speak for anyone but me, I'll warn you in advance.