[comp.sys.amiga] Summary of assemblers/disassemblers

wolf@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Mike Wolf,4264777) (12/04/87)

	Thanks to everyone who replied to my queries on assemblers and
disassemblers.

	The main suggestion was to buy the Manx C compiler, as it comes with
an assembler, and a symbolic debugger.  For people who want to do
both C and assembly, this seems to be the way to go.

	I also got a rave review of a program called Metascope, by Medigem(sp).
It's a general tool for poking around the Amiga.  It does single pass
disassembly (on screen only).  It has some very nice features, such as
running completely in windows.  You can have one window which is
constantly displaying the 68000's registers, windows which are displaying
memory contents, in either hex dump or disassembly, as well as windows
containing other information.  The base address of the memory windows can
be an offset of a register, such as the pc, so that the window shows the
current position in the program.  All of the windows are constantly
updated while waiting for input from the user.  It allows single stepping
and conditional breakpoints.  If the linker includes labels in the program
(Aztec and Lattice do, I don't know about the others), the debugger will
read these labels and display them in the disassembly.

	I only got one response about Metacomco's macro assembler.  It is supposed
to be good but rather slow.

+------------------------------------+---------------------------------------+
|        Michael Wolf                | An old Scandinavian quote:            |
|  BITNET: wolf@ucscj.BITNET         |   "You can lead a herring to water,   |
|  ARPA:   wolf@ssyx.ucsc.edu        |    but you have to walk real fast,    |
|  UUCP: ...ucbvax!ucscc!ssyx!wolf   |    or else he'll die."                |
+------------------------------------+---------------------------------------+

bryce@hoser.berkeley.edu (Bryce Nesbitt) (12/06/87)

In article <1315@saturn.ucsc.edu> wolf@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Mike Wolf) writes:

>	The main suggestion was to buy the Manx C compiler, as it comes with
>an assembler, and a symbolic debugger.  For people who want to do
>both C and assembly, this seems to be the way to go.

Lattice 4.0 also has an assembler, but no source level debugger.  Still,
for owners of earlier versions of Lattice (3.02 and 3.03 especially)
Lattice is the way to go.

>I only got one response about Metacomco's macro assembler.  It is supposed
>to be good but rather slow.

Version 10.75 is good, but slow.
Version 11.00 is twice as fast.

|\ /|  . Ack! (NAK, SOH, EOT)
{o O} . bryce@hoser.berkeley.EDU -or- ucbvax!hoser!bryce
 (")
  U	WARNING: hoser's spool directory eats a *lot* of mail. :-(