[comp.sys.amiga] Disk safety question

waterman@cory.Berkeley.EDU (T.S. Alan Waterman) (11/26/87)

In article <407@ndmath.UUCP> nj@ndmath.UUCP (Narciso Jaramillo) writes:
>So here's the problem:
>
>.... thus causing several disks to get slimed...
>grease, pieces of sausage, onions...
>
>The question:
>
>If you can't get the grease out of some of the disk jackets, are they still
>safe to use?  Assume that none of the grease got under the little metal
>thing to hit the disk surface.
>
>nj, the man with no coordination.

   You really don't want olive oil and pepperoni grease all over the
inside of your drives,  but if you can wipe them off, CAREFULLY (damp rag,
mild soap, a lot of CARE......), you might be able to get them in,
copy them, and get them out before your computer starts to get
nauseous from the smell.....

   Then again, maybe you find a "gentle detergent", something like
Woolite.  You know -- "safe cold-water washing for fine
fabrics, linens, and delicate magnetic media.....  "

>rutgers!iuvax!ndmath!nj | To see what this is,    @@'@@@XO'@@@ | Time is there
>ucbvax!mica!nj          | stand on your head,     '@@X''$O1@@' | yet time is
>Subconscious stagnation | turn up the contrast,   @@@o@@@&@X@@ | gone, and the
>Pejorative frustration  | and clap with one hand. $$*@@@@X@@0' | Now lingers

  Ok, so I've got the contrast turned up, and the clapping thing is
under control, but there's no space in the office to stand on my head.....
(I've got a swivel chair--much too dangerous.)
  Maybe if I turn the monitor upside down.... ?

--TS   --a man in total confusion.....

hedley@cbmvax.UUCP (11/30/87)

In article <407@ndmath.UUCP> nj@ndmath.UUCP (Narciso Jaramillo) writes:

>If you can't get the grease out of some of the disk jackets, are they still
>safe to use?  Assume that none of the grease got under the little metal
>thing to hit the disk surface.
>
>nj, the man with no coordination.
YUCK !

If you stick the disk in there and everything works ok, then you are ok.
If it buggers the drive then you are in real bad shape. Therefore I
would avoid taking the chance at all costs.

Suggest you format a new disk, remove the metal protection sleeve from
the disk, and see if your drive will read and write it ok. If you find
this does work, then remove the metal sleeves from all affected disks,
and back them up one by one.

The cost of a few diskettes is small. Drives are expensive in terms of
cash, time and headaches.

Hedley

In article <407@ndmath.UUCP> nj@ndmath.UUCP (Narciso Jaramillo) writes:

> Suppose, hypothetically, that you were eating a pizza very near your
> disk box (Amiga disks here).  And suppose, hypothetically, that the pizza
> you were eating had just recently been severely rewarmed--i.e. greasy.
>
> Further suppose that you dropped a slice of this extremely greasy pizza into
> the aforementioned disk box, thus causing several disks to get slimed...
> grease, pieces of sausage, onions...

oops...

> The question:
>
> If you can't get the grease out of some of the disk jackets, are they still
> safe to use?  Assume that none of the grease got under the little metal
> thing to hit the disk surface.

The answer is no, they aren't safe!  Who wants any yicky-poo organic
grease or slime inside their disk drive?  Howver if you clean them up
as much as possible, it probably safe to stick them in the drive and
copy the data to a nice squeaky clean disk, with only minimal risk of
damage to you or your machine.

--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {uunet|ihnp4|rutgers}!cbmvax!grr